Are we crazy?

Old Nov 10th 2004, 8:34 pm
Glaswegian

Default Re: Are we crazy?

Originally Posted by Linda P
Are you sure! I'm almost frightend to let hubby see this post!
Sometimes emigrating isn't always fluffy bunnies and happy endings ... it can be a bit rough at times ...

Just because someone else isn't happy doesn't mean you won't be ... it's all about expectations.

Calgary has been a bit of a disappointment for me in gerenal ... right now I'd quite happily move to Edmonton ... but there isn't much work in what I do up there.

Different people experience different things ... when push comes to shove, it's all about what you expect from life and what you expect to have to do to get it

I was trying to be positive there ... did it come across?

Old Nov 10th 2004, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
By the way, for those in the UK, we had the first flurries of snow of the season around here today, but it was more than made up for by a fantastic show of northern lights last night...it was the first time I had seen them in my time in Canada. Really cool!

I saw them too on my way back from Kingston along HWY 2.

The Japanese believe that any child concieved during the northern lights will grow up to be a genius which sure helps wedding and honeymoon tourism in the North. (http://www.weathernotebook.org/trans...998/06/23.html)

Now that should be a positive reason to come to Canada!
Old Nov 10th 2004, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Are we crazy?

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Sometimes emigrating isn't always fluffy bunnies and happy endings ... it can be a bit rough at times ...

Just because someone else isn't happy doesn't mean you won't be ... it's all about expectations.

Calgary has been a bit of a disappointment for me in gerenal ... right now I'd quite happily move to Edmonton ... but there isn't much work in what I do up there.

Different people experience different things ... when push comes to shove, it's all about what you expect from life and what you expect to have to do to get it

I was trying to be positive there ... did it come across?

To be honest it's nice to hear pros & cons, life would be pretty dull if everything was perect! I like so many others just want to get there and start exploring. I am concerned about the schooling comments, as I was told that it was better than the UK. My only other worry, is that I will freeze to dealth!!! I cannot even imagine the temps! I have even found myself looking at the freezer, thinking God, its going to be colder than that

But that a side, today here has been wet & windy and I much prefer snow to rain (I can hear you all shouting "wait until you've lived through the winter out here!")
Old Nov 10th 2004, 9:02 pm
Glaswegian

I am concerned about the schooling comments, as I was told that it was better than the UK.
I'm getting very bored with the school situation ... I have two kids who are bored witless at school ... right now I'm not making enough dosh to get them into a private school, so I'm now a happy bunny.

The company I work for has developed a nasty habit of recruiting externally for the interesting jobs rather than promoting from within ... right now the path upwards is permanently blocked and I'm feeling frustrated ... I think I need to go somewhere there are more employers.

My only other worry, is that I will freeze to dealth!!!
That's actually the least of your problems ... it isn't as bad as it sounds ... just remember that strolls aren't really an option at -35C ... I'm down at the moment because it isn't snowing.

Old Nov 10th 2004, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

I'm getting very bored with the school situation ... I have two kids who are bored witless at school ... right now I'm not making enough dosh to get them into a private school, so I'm now a happy bunny.

The company I work for has developed a nasty habit of recruiting externally for the interesting jobs rather than promoting from within ... right now the path upwards is permanently blocked and I'm feeling frustrated ... I think I need to go somewhere there are more employers.

That's actually the least of your problems ... it isn't as bad as it sounds ... just remember that strolls aren't really an option at -35C ... I'm down at the moment because it isn't snowing.
Are private school very expensive (if you dont mind me asking)
Old Nov 10th 2004, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sorry would help if I read your message correctly! it must be late! what can I say I need sleep!
Old Nov 10th 2004, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Glaswegian]I'm getting very bored with the school situation ... I have two kids who are bored witless at school ... right now I'm not making enough dosh to get them into a private school, so I'm now a happy bunny.

I suppose my next question to all is:- any good schools in the St Albert, Spruce Grove or Sherwood Park area????
Old Nov 10th 2004, 9:16 pm
Glaswegian

Our local one is roughly $4K per kid per year ... varies slightly with grade and you have to buy your way in with a one off facilities fee.

It's ranked 5th in the province and is looking more attractive by the day.

Old Nov 10th 2004, 11:20 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
.. so now the issue is do we stay long enough for me to get citizenship as my son is now technically dual
Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by 'technically dual'?

Jeremy
Old Nov 11th 2004, 12:32 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

I suppose my next question to all is:- any good schools in the St Albert, Spruce Grove or Sherwood Park area????
Are you allergic to Edmonton?
Old Nov 11th 2004, 12:44 am
Glaswegian

There are good schools in Sherwood Park ... IT jobs in Edmonton seem to be thin on the ground ... in hindsight I'd choose Edmonton over Calgary any day.

Sherwood Park is really nice ... I haven't made it to St Alberta, but it looks a bit close to the airport.

Old Nov 11th 2004, 12:47 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Are you allergic to Edmonton?
I don't think anybody actually lives in Edmonton ... most people head for Sherwood Park, St Albert, etc.

Old Nov 11th 2004, 12:48 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by JAJ
Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by 'technically dual'?

Jeremy
He'll operate on either 110V or 220V ... no offence

Old Nov 11th 2004, 12:52 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

...in hindsight I'd choose Edmonton over Calgary any day.
Calgary has many advantages over Edmonton.

Sherwood Park is really nice ... I haven't made it to St Alberta, but it looks a bit close to the airport.
What? St. Albert (not Alberta) is nowhere near the airport; you must be thinking of Leduc, which is adjacent to the Edmonton International Airport.
Old Nov 11th 2004, 12:55 am
mañana is my busiest day

I don't think anybody actually lives in Edmonton ... most people head for Sherwood Park, St Albert, etc.
Let's see now, Edmonton has a population of about 670,000, Sherwood Park around 70,000 and St. Albert around 50,000. Lots of people prefer to live in Edmonton, although those who prefer to live in the surrounding cities do so largely because of lower property taxes - at least that used to be the case.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.