Are we crazy?

Old Nov 7th 2004, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light
Default Are we crazy?

Anyone lived in Canada came back to UK only to regret it and is thinking of going back or is it just us crazy people?
Old Nov 7th 2004, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice
Default Re: Are we crazy?

Originally Posted by Gezza
Anyone lived in Canada came back to UK only to regret it and is thinking of going back or is it just us crazy people?
Depends on why you came back. Was it really that bad?
Old Nov 7th 2004, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

I guess that sort of thing seems to happen quite alot. Daisymoll is doing just the same thing....What made you go back to the UK in the first place? What do you miss about where you did live in Canada? Maybe you should have tried somewhere different.
Old Nov 7th 2004, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Suzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant future

Eh? What's your story?? I spose the grass is always greener

Suze

Old Nov 7th 2004, 9:05 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

I did the yo-yo thing starting in 1991; finally settled in BC in 1996. Not too happy with the outcome in BC (for me) but I have to live with the choice I made. I know I will not retire here - put it that way! What is making you want to leave the UK again? Why did you leave Canada? Perhaps the location you were in? I am exploring two options right now, moving to Ontario or a couple of good job offers in the UK. I am not sure how I coud afford to live in the UK because I would need a big house. Salaries don't quite match the mortgage requirement, so Ontario may win out. A lot depends on why you want to leave the UK. I think, with hindsight, if I had had more realistic expectations I might have stayed in the UK because career wise it was suicide for me to move here. However, my kids have had more freedom to be kids and I appreciate the fact that they stay children much longer here. I guess what I am saying is that your needs and wants will determine the outcome of your decision. It is no better than the UK here - just very different, and some things are worse. If you are young....doing the transatlantic yo-yo dance doesn't matter. Just don't burn your bridges on either side of the pond until you know where you are going to stay.
Old Nov 7th 2004, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

Suzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant future

Interesting, and my response is probably going to take this thread slightly OT, but anyway...

I work in London and have the best job I've ever had and am worried about giving everything up for Toronto when I have nothing lined up. I know that salaries are going to be vastly lower in Toronto but I am hoping that the quality of life will make up for it. I'm not sure how I'll fare with the job search etc. However, it's a risk I'm willing to take and with the way things are in London at the moment, if I ever have to come back I'll pretend I'm Canadian-born and I'll probably get a job handed to me on a silver plate

Suze

Originally Posted by dingbat
I did the yo-yo thing starting in 1991; finally settled in BC in 1996. Not too happy with the outcome in BC (for me) but I have to live with the choice I made. I know I will not retire here - put it that way! What is making you want to leave the UK again? Why did you leave Canada? Perhaps the location you were in? I am exploring two options right now, moving to Ontario or a couple of good job offers in the UK. I am not sure how I coud afford to live in the UK because I would need a big house. Salaries don't quite match the mortgage requirement, so Ontario may win out. A lot depends on why you want to leave the UK. I think, with hindsight, if I had had more realistic expectations I might have stayed in the UK because career wise it was suicide for me to move here. However, my kids have had more freedom to be kids and I appreciate the fact that they stay children much longer here. I guess what I am saying is that your needs and wants will determine the outcome of your decision. It is no better than the UK here - just very different, and some things are worse. If you are young....doing the transatlantic yo-yo dance doesn't matter. Just don't burn your bridges on either side of the pond until you know where you are going to stay.
Old Nov 7th 2004, 9:47 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

I've met folk who have done that. My aunt did 40 years ago!

I've met Canadians who have gone back and come back again. When I first came here some friends of mine where thinking of going back to SE after 15 years here. I strongly recommend a long - 3 weeks at least - holiday back there. It did the trick and they are definitely staying put, (and finally going through for citizenship etc!)

Clare
Old Nov 8th 2004, 12:23 am
Just Joined

blobhead is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Suzey
Interesting, and my response is probably going to take this thread slightly OT, but anyway...

I work in London and have the best job I've ever had and am worried about giving everything up for Toronto when I have nothing lined up. I know that salaries are going to be vastly lower in Toronto but I am hoping that the quality of life will make up for it. I'm not sure how I'll fare with the job search etc. However, it's a risk I'm willing to take and with the way things are in London at the moment, if I ever have to come back I'll pretend I'm Canadian-born and I'll probably get a job handed to me on a silver plate

Suze
Don't do it!!
Stay in England and enjoy your life!
Take frequent holidays to Europe, socialize as much as possible and just forget about North America - it's a loada crap!
Old Nov 8th 2004, 12:41 am
Glaswegian

I am hoping that the quality of life will make up for it.
Don't just hope

Come over for a visit, work out what it is about London that bugs you and confirm that Toronto is actually different enough to make you happier.

Old Nov 8th 2004, 1:36 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Don't just hope

Come over for a visit, work out what it is about London that bugs you and confirm that Toronto is actually different enough to make you happier.

Good suggestion - especially as you can get some cracking flight deals with Canadian Affair at the moment!!

Old Nov 8th 2004, 1:56 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ClareBC
I've met folk who have done that. My aunt did 40 years ago!

I've met Canadians who have gone back and come back again. When I first came here some friends of mine where thinking of going back to SE after 15 years here. I strongly recommend a long - 3 weeks at least - holiday back there. It did the trick and they are definitely staying put, (and finally going through for citizenship etc!)

Clare

What's really crazy is to live in Canada for a long time and leave *without* taking Canadian citizenship. Especially if you're a British citizen and can have dual citizenship.

A surprising number of people who leave do want to return later on - but not all can do if they have let their PR status expire.

Jeremy
Old Nov 8th 2004, 2:47 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Well I’ve done the flip flop, moved to Canada in and did a few years really enjoyed it, did lots of Canadian things winter and summer even drove all the way out East and all the way out West. But going nowhere in the Job so moved with my new Canadian wife back to the UK, lived in Warwickshire and had a great time. Out most weekends touring the national parks an climbing the hills, visiting the stately homes and consuming much French wine an cheese. However we got a nice surprise and found out my wife was pregnant and there was a good job going in Toronto, so we moved back so my wife could be near friends and family, well life with a family is a little different we miss the quality public transport in the UK and we miss the access to good food.. and family ain’t that important compared to day to day life. yep we even worked our bills out and we have in effect he same standard of living the only net benefit we have is a bigger house. Well my wife would go back to the UK tomorrow, in fact we travel out in a couple of week to visit family.
Given that I can see no significance difference between the two environments, on balance they even out in my book, so the choice goes to my wife an ex Canadian teacher who spent some time in an comprehensive school when we were in the UK.. she preferred our medical system and our schooling (more discipline allowed in the UK system than in Canada) and would like our child to be brought up in the UK.. so now the issue is do we stay long enough for me to get citizenship as my son is now technically dual or do we high tail back to the UK when the next suitable job turns up.
We have worked out given the various cost it and perks that come with European employment it's more cost effective for us to live and work in the UK and visit Canada the extra holidays help here, as does a stronger currency.. and my son can be sent back to Canada for summer and even Christmas holidays with his cousins so get has the best of both worlds..
So we intend to live the next few years in Canada then move back to the UK and then eventually maybe retire out to somewhere in Canada.. (or if my wife wants France ) retired so finding a job to be able to live in the nice parts is irrelevant…
Old Nov 8th 2004, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

I have visited Canada - four times. At the moment I prefer Ottawa, but Toronto is where I have family and therefore I think it will be easier if I start off there first.

Anyway, going there for a visit is nothing like living there...

Suze

Don't just hope

Old Nov 8th 2004, 7:16 pm
Glaswegian

Anyway, going there for a visit is nothing like living there...
Very true ... living here is a different experience entirely ... but if you'd never been to Canada, it would have at least given you a taster.

I've got fairly close cousins out in Ontario, which was my destination of first choice ... unless you have a real urge to experience total iisolation from friends & family, I'd pick an initial destination with people that you know.

The downside is that you really need to pick a destination where you can make an acceptable living ... I don't think anybody comes here to live on the breadline by choice.

If you can balance work, friends & family in a location you like, you're off to a good start.

Old Nov 8th 2004, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

... which is exactly what I'm doing I can't be sure of anything though, hence the "I'm hoping" comment in my original post.

It's scary the number of people who move to Canada and suddenly discover that they hate it there. Most of the stuff they complain about (the cold etc) would have been uncovered had they done some basic research in advance.

Even scarier is the number of people who decide to move to Canada without ever having visited the country.

Suze

Very true ... living here is a different experience entirely ... but if you'd never been to Canada, it would have at least given you a taster.

I've got fairly close cousins out in Ontario, which was my destination of first choice ... unless you have a real urge to experience total iisolation from friends & family, I'd pick an initial destination with people that you know.

The downside is that you really need to pick a destination where you can make an acceptable living ... I don't think anybody comes here to live on the breadline by choice.

If you can balance work, friends & family in a location you like, you're off to a good start.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.