Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Waitressing and tips and tax

Waitressing and tips and tax

Old Sep 5th 2012, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waitressing and tips and tax

Originally Posted by Alex2201
I dislike tipping full stop. My Canadian friends think that its right to tip everyone for everything! I understand it more in the US as they make peanuts not a decent min wage as they do here in Canada.

My argument is that if they are tipping someone at Tims they have put coffee in a cup and taken your money.... I say to them describe the job requirements of this person and how did they go over and above this to serve you???

Tipping bar staff when all they have done is opened a bottle or poured a drink.... again they are doing their job!!!!

I will tip in a proper restaurant begrudgingly under duress from my Canadian girlfriend
I used to agree until I worked as a bartender for my first 9 months of living in Canada, as I struggled to get a job in my usual field of work.

Many bar tenders in Canada earn well below the minimum wage unlike in the UK. Also the fact that many dont work full shifts (ie 8hours a day 5days a week) also means they will earn way below the weekly wage, so tips are very important for them to live on.

Having been there...my attitude to tipping has totally changed and have accepted it is part of North American culture....so always tip and usually generously.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 9:02 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Who tips the oil change guy at Mr Lube? Minimum wage earner.
But he's not a hottie in a tight short skirt with high heels.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 9:04 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Many bar tenders in Canada earn well below the minimum wage unlike in the UK. Also the fact that many dont work full shifts (ie 8hours a day 5days a week) also means they will earn way below the weekly wage, so tips are very important for them to live on.
However if their employers paid them a living wage, the customer would not have to top up their wage packet.

I never got tips when I was working and if I had a bad day at work, it could have been a really bad day for a lot of people. I did get a round of applause once, but that's another story.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
However if their employers paid them a living wage, the customer would not have to top up their wage packet.

I never got tips when I was working and if I had a bad day at work, it could have been a really bad day for a lot of people. I did get a round of applause once, but that's another story.
Yes that is true, but they dont, it seems as though its accepted that if you run a bar and restaurant, you dont have to pay the staff the minimum wage, I suppose its only the government that could change that, but then I couldnt see tipping stopping suddenly, as its so ingrained into North American culture.

Well done on the round of applause - I actually earned a couple of those too during my time as a bar tender! Although that is also anther story! LOL!
Old Sep 5th 2012, 9:56 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Just a way of keeping the price displayed on the menu down innit.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 10:03 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. Nobody tips in France for example because the waitstaff make a decent wage, moreover the tip is actually anyway included in the advertised price on the menu, service compris.

However this thread has drifted (oh no what a shock). The initial questin was how to report tips on tax returns.

Now, I'm very confused as to why several folk suggest adding 10% or 15% or whatever to the tax payers wages. The tips are 15% (usually) of the cost of the meal, which is nothing (or at least nothing directly) at all to do with what the waiter earns.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 3:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
I used to agree until I worked as a bartender for my first 9 months of living in Canada, as I struggled to get a job in my usual field of work.

Having been there...my attitude to tipping has totally changed and have accepted it is part of North American culture....so always tip and usually generously.
Lowest min wage for servers in Can is $9.05 in Alberta or £5.65. (which was UK min wage before Oct 11)

UK min wage from Oct 11 is £6.08 ph or $9.72 ph - Average min wage across Ca is $10ph

(converted at 1.6 $ to £)

So considering that the difference is not a lot and Bar staff in the UK are never tipped where is the argument? I worked in a pub for 3 years and got by in a very expensive part of the UK. Life was hard but it would be in any min wage job here or there.

Its your choice to tip but I dont feel a shred of guilt for not. I dislike the idea as they are already being paid to do a job and nearly never go over and above what is a reasonable expectation vs job description.

I also feel that people should earn a decent living wage but that is up to the Government to set.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 3:38 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201
I also feel that people should earn a decent living wage but that is up to the Government to set.
Not really, market forces should set the wages or if the employees are not satisfied they could find another job, government interferes too much already.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 3:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Like the US??? - market forces are working really well for the poor there

I agree with you in part that it is up to people to aspire to better things however the Government should set a min wage that is fair and gives the person earning it a min decent standard of living.

Im not advocating that Government control everyone's wages. (comrade )