Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Waitressing and tips and tax

Waitressing and tips and tax

Old Sep 3rd 2012, 9:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waitressing and tips and tax

Originally Posted by sharkus
Wot no reference to Mr Pink's little speech about tipping?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5ODhIFawfs

I will tip 10 - 15% if the service is good. If the service is bad, no tip. If it's appalling, the manager and I have a little chat, same goes if the food is bad.

Hearts and smiley faces are ok, circling the little "gratuity not included" line on the bill is not and that'll earn you zero. Had that done once, the manager and I had a lovely little chat, and we agreed upon the meal being on the house. As I was exiting the place I saw him having a very animated conversation with our server.
Cheapskate.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 9:20 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I will tip 10 - 15% if the service is good. If the service is bad, no tip. If it's appalling, the manager and I have a little chat, same goes if the food is bad.

Hearts and smiley faces are ok, circling the little "gratuity not included" line on the bill is not and that'll earn you zero. Had that done once, the manager and I had a lovely little chat, and we agreed upon the meal being on the house. As I was exiting the place I saw him having a very animated conversation with our server.
You do realise that people get fired from jobs when you complain. Do you want that? Not after a series of complaints but just the one.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 9:23 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Cheapskate.
Really? I'd say fibber myself.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 9:27 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing wrong with complaining if it's justified, as long as the remedy befits the complaint.

I would never be able to walk out of a restaurant with a full belly, having paid not a penny, just because a waitress circled "gratuities not included." That's appalling behaviour.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 9:30 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
You do realise that people get fired from jobs when you complain. Do you want that? Not after a series of complaints but just the one.
Or they get stuck with the bill for your dinner.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 9:47 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Or they get stuck with the bill for your dinner.
or both. But that's worth it surely for that important feeling you get complaining to the manager instead of the person involved?
Old Sep 4th 2012, 3:31 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

I normally tip the tax. I'll tip more if the experience has been very good. If it hasn't, I let Souvette handle the bill. She has fewer hang-ups than I do about being nasty.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice

Something not mentioned is how are the Tips processed?..... In some places the CCard Tips go through payroll.

When this happens, this amount will be reported on your T4 as tips.

Many people only report this and don't bother with the cash amounts (or "top-up" to 10%).

Not saying it's right...... just what commonly happens!
Old Sep 4th 2012, 7:35 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ramsey
Something not mentioned is how are the Tips processed?..... In some places the CCard Tips go through payroll.

When this happens, this amount will be reported on your T4 as tips.

Many people only report this and don't bother with the cash amounts (or "top-up" to 10%).

Not saying it's right...... just what commonly happens!
Thats a good point too, I'll have to ask DD what happens there, as she probably hasn't thought of that and is probably not checking her paystubs to see if she has received them.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 1:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Its the managers decision to give you the meal for free and not your fault if they go overboard with the employee - you could not know that before you complain so it is not a reason not to complain if you are not satisfied.

I find little things like that irritating but tend to just ignore them.

As for one complaint getting you fired thats poor management and again not a reason not to complain if there is a good reason.

As for min wage being lower for servers this is appalling and should be remedied via the ballot box.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

castra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nice

Something that has been pointed out to me by several people I know who have worked as servers, plus by others who have heard similar:

Amongst the serving community in both Canada & The US, Brits & Australians have a reputation as being woeful tippers. Many Servers dread getting a table of Brits & apparently, its quite the norm to leave a 'subtle hint' on the bill. Often as mentioned, in the form of a smiley face with the servers name below or a message with service not included & again, a smiley face below. If its at all possible to avoid serving a table of Brits, they will.

Brits & Australians haven't accepted this form of legalised blackmail in the same way as its customary in North America. Many Brits & Australians in the main, tip grudgingly because they know its the custom where they are, not out of choice because they have had exceptional service. North Americans on the other hand, do it cheerfully as a matter of course, so long as the service & meal has been good.

I too question the anomalies in tipping. We tip the server but not the kid in McDonalds who has just served you a McRat Burger. We are expected to tip the taxi driver but not the guy who drives the number 14 to Downtown. I personally have always had issue's about tipping a bartender for pulling a pint. I've never got the logic of that one. Different if its table service.

I was once chased for a tip by a shuttle bus driver at Miami Airport after I refused his request. I was racking my head to remember the Spanish for **** off. The guy departed the rental lot late as he was too busy yapping with his buddies, drove like a complete idiot, throwing my daughter out her seat, then when he got our bags out, held out his hand!

No way Jose !!! He wasn't a happy boy.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 2:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Who tips the oil change guy at Mr Lube? Minimum wage earner.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 8:11 pm
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by Alex2201
Its the managers decision to give you the meal for free and not your fault if they go overboard with the employee - you could not know that before you complain so it is not a reason not to complain if you are not satisfied.

As for one complaint getting you fired thats poor management and again not a reason not to complain if there is a good reason.

As for min wage being lower for servers this is appalling and should be remedied via the ballot box.
It might be poor management but it does happen, and not rarely. Why not say something friendly and chatty about it to the server instead of getting all snotty and complaining to others? There's a good chance you would get better service for the rest of the meal then, and surely that would be more worthwhile than complaining.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 8:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Originally Posted by Alex2201

Read again

I agree that a polite word to the server is the way to go (once you have you all your food )
Old Sep 5th 2012, 8:38 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

What's with all this north american style complaining.

Why would anyone think it's preferable to have an unnecessary awkward social interaction rather than just leaving a slightly lower than usual tip and then never going back? That's what I do and I thought I was normal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.