Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Waitressing and tips and tax

Waitressing and tips and tax

Old Sep 1st 2012, 7:09 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Waitressing and tips and tax

Hi all,

Quick question, my daughter has a job in a restaurant and has just been promoted to a server/waitress for some shifts. What happens at tax time? Should she be keeping a note of her tips? I have suggested she saves some for tax time, but would like to have an idea how much she will likely to have to part with.
TIA
Old Sep 1st 2012, 7:30 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waitressing and tips and tax

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Hi all,

Quick question, my daughter has a job in a restaurant and has just been promoted to a server/waitress for some shifts. What happens at tax time? Should she be keeping a note of her tips? I have suggested she saves some for tax time, but would like to have an idea how much she will likely to have to part with.
TIA
By the book? She should keep a record of all the tips she gets to keep and put them on line 104 of her tax return. If her total income for the year is less than $11,000 then she will not pay any tax. Between $11,000 and $16,000 15%, greater than that 25%.

Common practice is that many people declare 10% of their T4 income as tips. I don't recommend this as it likely understates most server's income but is better than putting nothing - the CRA know perfectly well they are earning tips.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 7:58 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for that, I'll get a book for her to keep a record.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 8:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Remind her to grin like an idiot as she presents the bill

My friend says that she declares 25% (been doing it 15 years) and never had any grief off of the revenue
Old Sep 1st 2012, 8:05 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Drawing a smiley face or a heart on the bill is a good way to manipulate people into giving more tips.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Dozzpot is on a distinguished road

What's the going rate for leaving tips - 10%? 15%? I assume the same for the pizza delivery guy etc too?
Old Sep 1st 2012, 9:15 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Writing your name upside down on the paper tablecloth is a sure-fire hit with customers too.

I'm surprised that the CRA lets people away with 10% declared as tips. I knew a Calgary barman who said he made $11/hour basic, and "at least that again" in tips.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 9:46 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming the service and food is at least satisfactory I leave 15%, excluding the taxes of course. For a pizza delivery person I give him/her a flat $2.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 10:16 pm

She is regretting doing her best to lose her English accent, she is trying to reclaim it though
Old Sep 1st 2012, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to behold

' server/waitress for some shifts.'

Off the record, don't bother. Don't pay any of the tips into her bank account in case she is audited. A waitress wage is so low I doubt it would be a fuss.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 10:35 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Drawing a smiley face or a heart on the bill is a good way to manipulate people into giving more tips.
haha seen this, they get a shock when I have paid lol

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Writing your name upside down on the paper tablecloth is a sure-fire hit with customers too.

I'm surprised that the CRA lets people away with 10% declared as tips. I knew a Calgary barman who said he made $11/hour basic, and "at least that again" in tips.
Jack Astors?

When I speak to Canadian co workers, I am still amazed that they leave tips when they have had crappy service, I know it is an entirely different culture here for tips from restaurant to cab drivers to hair dressers to even someone at work who makes cakes for fun!, but they still tip regardless of the service!
Old Sep 1st 2012, 11:06 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tony_Tiger

Off the record, don't bother. Don't pay any of the tips into her bank account in case she is audited. A waitress wage is so low I doubt it would be a fuss.
That is really not a good idea. People in hospitality earn tips. The CRA knows that. Declaring no tips can raise a red flag.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to behold

You are right. But I used to run a bar, so my advice is only based upon my own experience.

Many of the waitresses we hired were from out of province and it was entry level job to get to other levels. To be honest there is by the book and then how it is really done. By all means, declare tips.

But they(waitresses) earn so low and the hours are horrible. Investigating them for tax evasion, its miniscule in comparison to what I have seen some people dodge.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 11:33 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

I leave 15% if the service is acceptable or better.... and zero if it's crap.
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 12:28 am

You are right. But I used to run a bar, so my advice is only based upon my own experience.

Many of the waitresses we hired were from out of province and it was entry level job to get to other levels. To be honest there is by the book and then how it is really done. By all means, declare tips.

But they(waitresses) earn so low and the hours are horrible. Investigating them for tax evasion, its miniscule in comparison to what I have seen some people dodge.

Talking to a dental hygienist yesterday, who worked as a waitress for a year only declared 10% of her tips, 8 years on she is investigated still every year - I want my daughter to avoid this. BTW Canadian restaurant staff don't seem to work the atrocious hours that UK restaurant staff work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.