Vancouver Island

Vancouver Island

Old Jan 23rd 2007, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

Davea1969 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Vancouver Island

Originally Posted by bananahammock
Hi Davea1969

Are you bringing a family? Tofino is a fantastic place to visit but pretty far from everywhere with no hospital etc...

We live in Nanaimo & came here because the other half had a job offer, I think if we could start again we would both choose Victoria but then again, we came with teenagers & realised that they would get bored very quickly if we lived somewhere too small.
I see you are a builder, there is a lot of construction underway here
I think Nanaimo looks pretty grim when you drive through it but as with anywhere else it has some really nice areas away from the highway

..............just an afterthought.......my daughter works p/t in a pet store & one day last week when the weather was bad she served a customer who had driven from Tofino to stock up on petfood as the store there was closed.......thats a 6hr round trip!!
Hello, yes we've got two boys aged 4 and 9, as you say Tofino is lovely but a bit far if i had to travel to find work. Last year we had a look at Nanaimo, a realtor took us to see some houses north and south, do you find theres a difference? It all seemed nice to me.

</IMG></IMG></IMG>
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 10:08 pm
...in these shoes?

ellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Davea1969
Hello, We liked Ladysmith for the location, the beach was nice and seemed to be in a good position to find work from (Im a builder and my wifes a hairdresser) . We have two children so we would like to be reasonably close to parks etc. Is there anywhere you wouldn't recommend?
One of my neighbours used to live there and was recently commenting that most of her friends were older, and now in CR most of her friends are much younger. She is in her fifties. perhaps you could check demographics too.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 5:58 am
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Very true Tofino is a fabulous place to vist and it is quite remote however your last statement is untrue Tofino very definitely has a hospital. It may be small but it is there.

Tofino General Hospital (261 Neill Street, Tofino, BC V0R 2Z0)

Services provided:

Emergency Services, Maternity and Neonatal Services, Medical Ambulatory Program, Mental Health Program. Adult Rehabilitation Clinic. Diabetes and Respiratory Rehabilitation. Medical Imaging/Diagnostics: General X-Rays and Laboratory services.

Regards
Steve
Oh, OK..........didn't realise that

One of the people I work with mentioned that she lived there when she was pregnant but had to move nearer to Nanaimo 3 weeks before the sprog was born so she would be closer to the hospital so I assumed that there wasn't one there........................live & learn!!
Old Jan 24th 2007, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

chrisi65 is a jewel in the roughchrisi65 is a jewel in the roughchrisi65 is a jewel in the roughchrisi65 is a jewel in the roughchrisi65 is a jewel in the rough

Hello, just found this site. We are hoping to get our visas this year and move to Vancouver Island. We really like Ladysmith, we have been Victoria to Tofino but didn't really stop in any towns. Does anyone recommend any other areas which we should look at.
Hi there, we are moving to the island this year, my partner is a builder and i am a hairdresser. would be nice to chat with you and find out how your going on.
We like cobble hill and shawnigan areas, thats where we would like to be, but sooke looks great too, and house prices are good in that area aswell.
Do you have a job? Maybe you could private message me and i will fill you in on our exoeriences.
Take care and good luck.
Christine.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 11:13 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, We liked Ladysmith for the location, the beach was nice and seemed to be in a good position to find work from (Im a builder and my wifes a hairdresser) . We have two children so we would like to be reasonably close to parks etc.
I suspect it might serve you very well then.

It's a nice small town and it's close to Nanaimo (for bigger city stuff and the ferry to Vancouver for much bigger city stuff) and not that far from Victoria either.

And, best of all, you'd be near the BungyZone!
http://www.bungyzone.com/

Is there anywhere you wouldn't recommend?
Not really. Although there are areas of the Island that are wetter than others: generally the further north or west you go the wetter the weather. Henderson Lake is the wettest place in Canada - 6m+ of rain a year! I can't say I'd want to live there .... although it really isn't a place anyway.

Oh and I'd avoid Crofton and anywhere else where there is a pulp and paper mill and anywhere in the path of emissions from a pulp and paper mill.... unless you're ok with putting cloth pegs on your nose... nevermind the dioxins, furans and organochlorines... yum! I believe that isn't an issue in Ladysmith.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 11:17 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Morning Hot,

You not sleeping either?

Old Jan 24th 2007, 11:24 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Morning Hot,

You not sleeping either?

I'm pretty much always up this early... usually out of bed by 4am. Bit of an early bird.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 1:56 pm
Bristolish expat

bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, just found this site. We are hoping to get our visas this year and move to Vancouver Island. We really like Ladysmith, we have been Victoria to Tofino but didn't really stop in any towns. Does anyone recommend any other areas which we should look at.

Took these in Ladysmith 2 weeks ago
Attached Thumbnails Vancouver Island-jan-07-019.jpg   Vancouver Island-jan-07-014.jpg   Vancouver Island-jan-07-015.jpg  
Old Jan 24th 2007, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

ptolomeus3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bananahammock
Took these in Ladysmith 2 weeks ago

WOW, nice pictures. Were they taken "in" Ladysmith or in the surrounding area?

Greets ptol
Old Jan 24th 2007, 9:13 pm
Bristolish expat

Originally Posted by ptolomeus3
WOW, nice pictures. Were they taken "in" Ladysmith or in the surrounding area?

Greets ptol
About 5 minutes from Shell beach