British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Vancouver Island (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/vancouver-island-419742/)

Davea1969 Jan 17th 2007 9:52 pm

Vancouver Island

Hello, just found this site. We are hoping to get our visas this year and move to Vancouver Island. We really like Ladysmith, we have been Victoria to Tofino but didn't really stop in any towns. Does anyone recommend any other areas which we should look at.

claire in worthing Jan 22nd 2007 7:21 pm

Re: Vancouver Island

We are looking to move to the Comox Valley (about and hour North of Nanaimo) later this year. We visited July 2005 for a month and love the place - great towns Comox & Courtenay - mountains (skiing at Mt Washington) lakes, depends what you're looking for. We have 2 boys (3 & 6) and love the outdoors, skiing, waterskiing, mtn biking, canoeing etc etc

Tam Kilmarnock Jan 22nd 2007 7:45 pm

Hi there,
Welcome to the forum!
I have spent some time on the island and found that Naniamo was ok. I guess your final choice of destination will, like us depend on employment. Victoria real estate is pricey compared to other parts of the Island. As a rule the further north you get the more reasonable the real estate is.

I know some folks in Port Campbell and they seem to like it OK. Our wish/fantasy list is to own a B&B in Tofino......but house prices there have just shot up.

Davea1969 Jan 22nd 2007 9:34 pm

Hi, thanks for the feedback, Comox Valley sounds nice and worth a visit, We also have two boys 9 and 4 and are hopeing to get there this year too. We have stayed in Victoria, Ladysmith and Tofino. We all loved Tofino but we'll need to commute for work and it is a bit remote. We had been looking Naniamo-Victoria for work reasons as we had not seen any other large-ish towns on our travels.

hot wasabi peas Jan 22nd 2007 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by Davea1969 (Post 4295738)
Hello, just found this site. We are hoping to get our visas this year and move to Vancouver Island. We really like Ladysmith, we have been Victoria to Tofino but didn't really stop in any towns. Does anyone recommend any other areas which we should look at.

I'm from Vancouver Island. What was the appeal of Ladysmith? <-- Not a criticism, but your answer could help me point you towards a place closer to Victoria or Nanaimo (work)... although really, Ladysmith is already quite close to Nanaimo.

I'm thinking you might like Sooke, East Sooke or Metchosin, to the west of Victoria... although maybe not!

mels123 Jan 23rd 2007 2:25 am

Hi Dave

Sorry can't help with the questions about Vancouver Island, but just noticed you are from Leigh! We have recently moved from Leigh 3 months ago, so just wanted to say hi!

We're living on the lower mainland and loving it so far :D

Anyway good luck with your move :thumbup:

Mel

PS Which Leigh are you from as I have just been informed there are 3, we're from Lancashire

bananahammock Jan 23rd 2007 4:28 am

5 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Davea1969 (Post 4295738)

Hi Davea1969

Are you bringing a family? Tofino is a fantastic place to visit but pretty far from everywhere with no hospital etc...

We live in Nanaimo & came here because the other half had a job offer, I think if we could start again we would both choose Victoria but then again, we came with teenagers & realised that they would get bored very quickly if we lived somewhere too small.
I see you are a builder, there is a lot of construction underway here :)
I think Nanaimo looks pretty grim when you drive through it but as with anywhere else it has some really nice areas away from the highway :D

..............just an afterthought.......my daughter works p/t in a pet store & one day last week when the weather was bad she served a customer who had driven from Tofino to stock up on petfood as the store there was closed.......thats a 6hr round trip!! :blink:

ellsie Jan 23rd 2007 5:37 am

We have moved to Campbell River where there is lots of building going on and we like it, and so do our daughters.:)

ptolomeus3 Jan 23rd 2007 8:19 am

Hello, just found this thread. If everything goes well, we will actually settle in Nanaimo. bananahammock, nice pics :)

Adbru Jan 23rd 2007 8:46 am

Hi Guys,

Any sparkies amongst us ??

Reason for asking is that I was having a search on jobbank and there are two adverts for industrial sparks on the island, both fulltime paying $30 (cdn)/hour..

Thats equal or better to the IT jobs i've been looking at :blink:

I was a spark in a previous life so maybe better get my ticket back (the 2 years experience for the work permit would be a pain though...)

Adbru

bananahammock Jan 23rd 2007 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by ptolomeus3 (Post 4315196)
Hello, just found this thread. If everything goes well, we will actually settle in Nanaimo. bananahammock, nice pics :)

Let me know if I can help with anything............this website can be useful & has some great photos on the forum www.nanaimoinformation.com

ptolomeus3 Jan 23rd 2007 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by bananahammock (Post 4316427)

Let me know if I can help with anything............this website can be useful & has some great photos on the forum www.nanaimoinformation.com

Hey - Greath! I´ve got a certain amount of websites about Nanaimo, but that one was missing in my collection :eek: :thumbup:

Thanks, again!

I´m allready gone reading and searching :beer:

Steve_P Jan 23rd 2007 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by bananahammock (Post 4314905)

Tofino is a fantastic place to visit but pretty far from everywhere with no hospital etc...

Very true Tofino is a fabulous place to vist and it is quite remote however your last statement is untrue Tofino very definitely has a hospital. It may be small but it is there.

Tofino General Hospital (261 Neill Street, Tofino, BC V0R 2Z0)

Services provided:

Emergency Services, Maternity and Neonatal Services, Medical Ambulatory Program, Mental Health Program. Adult Rehabilitation Clinic. Diabetes and Respiratory Rehabilitation. Medical Imaging/Diagnostics: General X-Rays and Laboratory services.

Regards
Steve

Davea1969 Jan 23rd 2007 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by mels123 (Post 4314651)
Hi Dave

Sorry can't help with the questions about Vancouver Island, but just noticed you are from Leigh! We have recently moved from Leigh 3 months ago, so just wanted to say hi!

We're living on the lower mainland and loving it so far :D

Anyway good luck with your move :thumbup:

Mel

PS Which Leigh are you from as I have just been informed there are 3, we're from Lancashire

Hello Mel,
Its good to hear that your enjoying living in Canada, as for Leigh we're from one of the other ones... Leigh-on-sea, Essex,
Can't wait to get there it's been a long time waiting,

have a great time,
Dave

</IMG></IMG>

Davea1969 Jan 23rd 2007 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas (Post 4314309)
I'm from Vancouver Island. What was the appeal of Ladysmith? <-- Not a criticism, but your answer could help me point you towards a place closer to Victoria or Nanaimo (work)... although really, Ladysmith is already quite close to Nanaimo.

I'm thinking you might like Sooke, East Sooke or Metchosin, to the west of Victoria... although maybe not!

Hello, We liked Ladysmith for the location, the beach was nice and seemed to be in a good position to find work from (Im a builder and my wifes a hairdresser) . We have two children so we would like to be reasonably close to parks etc. Is there anywhere you wouldn't recommend?