Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver Island

Vancouver Island

Old Jan 17th 2007, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

Davea1969 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vancouver Island

Hello, just found this site. We are hoping to get our visas this year and move to Vancouver Island. We really like Ladysmith, we have been Victoria to Tofino but didn't really stop in any towns. Does anyone recommend any other areas which we should look at.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

claire in worthing is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Vancouver Island

We are looking to move to the Comox Valley (about and hour North of Nanaimo) later this year. We visited July 2005 for a month and love the place - great towns Comox & Courtenay - mountains (skiing at Mt Washington) lakes, depends what you're looking for. We have 2 boys (3 & 6) and love the outdoors, skiing, waterskiing, mtn biking, canoeing etc etc
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 7:45 pm
Who? Me?

Tam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really nice

Hi there,
Welcome to the forum!
I have spent some time on the island and found that Naniamo was ok. I guess your final choice of destination will, like us depend on employment. Victoria real estate is pricey compared to other parts of the Island. As a rule the further north you get the more reasonable the real estate is.

I know some folks in Port Campbell and they seem to like it OK. Our wish/fantasy list is to own a B&B in Tofino......but house prices there have just shot up.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

Hi, thanks for the feedback, Comox Valley sounds nice and worth a visit, We also have two boys 9 and 4 and are hopeing to get there this year too. We have stayed in Victoria, Ladysmith and Tofino. We all loved Tofino but we'll need to commute for work and it is a bit remote. We had been looking Naniamo-Victoria for work reasons as we had not seen any other large-ish towns on our travels.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 11:45 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Davea1969
Hello, just found this site. We are hoping to get our visas this year and move to Vancouver Island. We really like Ladysmith, we have been Victoria to Tofino but didn't really stop in any towns. Does anyone recommend any other areas which we should look at.
I'm from Vancouver Island. What was the appeal of Ladysmith? <-- Not a criticism, but your answer could help me point you towards a place closer to Victoria or Nanaimo (work)... although really, Ladysmith is already quite close to Nanaimo.

I'm thinking you might like Sooke, East Sooke or Metchosin, to the west of Victoria... although maybe not!
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

mels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Dave

Sorry can't help with the questions about Vancouver Island, but just noticed you are from Leigh! We have recently moved from Leigh 3 months ago, so just wanted to say hi!

We're living on the lower mainland and loving it so far

Anyway good luck with your move

Mel

PS Which Leigh are you from as I have just been informed there are 3, we're from Lancashire
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 4:28 am
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davea1969
Hi Davea1969

Are you bringing a family? Tofino is a fantastic place to visit but pretty far from everywhere with no hospital etc...

We live in Nanaimo & came here because the other half had a job offer, I think if we could start again we would both choose Victoria but then again, we came with teenagers & realised that they would get bored very quickly if we lived somewhere too small.
I see you are a builder, there is a lot of construction underway here
I think Nanaimo looks pretty grim when you drive through it but as with anywhere else it has some really nice areas away from the highway

..............just an afterthought.......my daughter works p/t in a pet store & one day last week when the weather was bad she served a customer who had driven from Tofino to stock up on petfood as the store there was closed.......thats a 6hr round trip!!
Attached Thumbnails Vancouver Island-july-2006-179.jpg   Vancouver Island-august-2006-062.jpg   Vancouver Island-june-2006-085.jpg   Vancouver Island-img_2800.jpg   Vancouver Island-2172928810040496959quhrtn_ph.jpg  

Last edited by bananahammock; Jan 23rd 2007 at 4:45 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 5:37 am
...in these shoes?

ellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to behold

We have moved to Campbell River where there is lots of building going on and we like it, and so do our daughters.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

ptolomeus3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, just found this thread. If everything goes well, we will actually settle in Nanaimo. bananahammock, nice pics
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

Adbru has a brilliant futureAdbru has a brilliant futureAdbru has a brilliant futureAdbru has a brilliant futureAdbru has a brilliant futureAdbru has a brilliant future

Hi Guys,

Any sparkies amongst us ??

Reason for asking is that I was having a search on jobbank and there are two adverts for industrial sparks on the island, both fulltime paying $30 (cdn)/hour..

Thats equal or better to the IT jobs i've been looking at

I was a spark in a previous life so maybe better get my ticket back (the 2 years experience for the work permit would be a pain though...)

Adbru
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 2:07 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ptolomeus3
Hello, just found this thread. If everything goes well, we will actually settle in Nanaimo. bananahammock, nice pics

Thanks

Let me know if I can help with anything............this website can be useful & has some great photos on the forum www.nanaimoinformation.com
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

ptolomeus3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bananahammock
Thanks

Let me know if I can help with anything............this website can be useful & has some great photos on the forum www.nanaimoinformation.com

Hey - Greath! I´ve got a certain amount of websites about Nanaimo, but that one was missing in my collection

Thanks, again!

I´m allready gone reading and searching
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 3:33 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bananahammock

Tofino is a fantastic place to visit but pretty far from everywhere with no hospital etc...
Very true Tofino is a fabulous place to vist and it is quite remote however your last statement is untrue Tofino very definitely has a hospital. It may be small but it is there.

Tofino General Hospital (261 Neill Street, Tofino, BC V0R 2Z0)

Services provided:

Emergency Services, Maternity and Neonatal Services, Medical Ambulatory Program, Mental Health Program. Adult Rehabilitation Clinic. Diabetes and Respiratory Rehabilitation. Medical Imaging/Diagnostics: General X-Rays and Laboratory services.

Regards
Steve
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mels123
Hi Dave

Sorry can't help with the questions about Vancouver Island, but just noticed you are from Leigh! We have recently moved from Leigh 3 months ago, so just wanted to say hi!

We're living on the lower mainland and loving it so far

Anyway good luck with your move

Mel

PS Which Leigh are you from as I have just been informed there are 3, we're from Lancashire
Hello Mel,
Its good to hear that your enjoying living in Canada, as for Leigh we're from one of the other ones... Leigh-on-sea, Essex,
Can't wait to get there it's been a long time waiting,

have a great time,
Dave

</IMG></IMG>
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
I'm from Vancouver Island. What was the appeal of Ladysmith? <-- Not a criticism, but your answer could help me point you towards a place closer to Victoria or Nanaimo (work)... although really, Ladysmith is already quite close to Nanaimo.

I'm thinking you might like Sooke, East Sooke or Metchosin, to the west of Victoria... although maybe not!
Hello, We liked Ladysmith for the location, the beach was nice and seemed to be in a good position to find work from (Im a builder and my wifes a hairdresser) . We have two children so we would like to be reasonably close to parks etc. Is there anywhere you wouldn't recommend?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.