Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver or Calgary ?

View Poll Results: Vancouver or Calgary?
Vancouver
71.43%
Calgary
28.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Vancouver or Calgary ?

Old Mar 18th 2004, 3:43 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Vancouver or Calgary ?

Originally posted by Cykotronic
Truer words have never been spoken. One of the many, many reasons I sped out of there after graduating.

Calgary always advancing, leaving Edmonton in the dust. I'm speaking as a former Edmontonian.
And so am I - lived in Edmonchuk for 7 years. Circa 2000, CMA Calgary surpassed Edmonton in population for the first time.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Mar 18th 2004 at 3:45 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

Cykotronic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by oceanMDX
And so am I - lived in Edmonchuk for 7 years. Circa 2000, CMA Calgary surpassed Edmonton in population for the first time.
Very true. And the most incredible thing about this is that most of CMA Calgary's growth has been within the city of Calgary, and not the suburbs. Heck, there aren't that many suburbs in Calgary anyways!

Most of Edmonton's growth, on the other hand, has occured in the suburbs like St. Albert, Spruce Grove, Leduc (ESPECIALLY the South, which is booming), Stony Plain, etc. The sprawl is getting pretty bad now.

Calgary does not have this problem -- a modern and very forward-looking city.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

seamonsta is an unknown quantity at this point

Flaming Nora! I've really rattled your cages!
All I said was I (with the emphasis on 'I') would prefer Vancouver because I assume it is more liberal (i.e it has a multicultural, easy going, chilled out population) and has plenty of trendy bars, theatres etc. . I'm sure Calgary does have a wonderful economy no doubt much better than Van' but that's not what I meant.

Rodeo's and monster truck shows aren't really my thing, hence Calgary probably wouldn't appeal to me. That's all I was saying!

As an analogy, I would much prefer to live in Manchester UK, than Tunbridge Wells. I'm sure Tunbridge Wells is far wealthier per head, but the place would bore me to tears!:scared:
Old Mar 18th 2004, 4:52 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by seamonsta
Alright, don't your knickers in a twist. I already stated I've never been there, however I have a friend from Edmonton who said Calgary's full of rednecks. I don't know if it is or not, however judging by the fact it is famous for an annual stampede I wouldn't say they were far off the mark!
I truly have a lot of respect for you seamonsta because many of your comments are spot on. However, you're off the mark regarding your comments on Calgary and its famous Stampede. The Stampede is part of Calgary's history and heritage, and to suggest that it signifies that Calgary is a "redneck" city is very foolish. Doing so is no more foolish than suggesting that England is a "fag" country because a "Queen" is the head of state! Can you see what I mean?
Old Mar 18th 2004, 4:58 pm
mañana is my busiest day

Flaming Nora! I've really rattled your cages!
All I said was I (with the emphasis on 'I') would prefer Vancouver because I assume it is more liberal (i.e it has a multicultural, easy going, chilled out population) and has plenty of trendy bars, theatres etc. . I'm sure Calgary does have a wonderful economy no doubt much better than Van' but that's not what I meant.

Rodeo's and monster truck shows aren't really my thing, hence Calgary probably wouldn't appeal to me. That's all I was saying!

As an analogy, I would much prefer to live in Manchester UK, than Tunbridge Wells. I'm sure Tunbridge Wells is far wealthier per head, but the place would bore me to tears!:scared:
Yes, Vancouver is more multicultural than Calgary - no question. That also has brought more problems - Air India bombing, various Asian gangs at war with each other, etc.

Vancouver probably has more "monster truck" events than Calgary in a year.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Mar 18th 2004 at 9:27 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

I truly have a lot of respect for you seamonsta because many of your comments are spot on. However, you're off the mark regarding your comments on Calgary and its famous Stampede. The Stampede is part of Calgary's history and heritage, and to suggest that it signifies that Calgary is a "redneck" city is very foolish. Doing so is no more foolish than suggesting that England is a "fag" country because a "Queen" is the head of state! Can you see what I mean?
Hmm, no not really! My comments are always pretty light hearted and never intended to cause offense. There are plenty of places in Britain I consider to be inhabited by rednecks! Wigan, to name but one!!
I still stand by my comments that Calgary is more business orientated than say Montreal? You tell me, is it not?
I also understand it is socially more conservative than say Toronto is it not?
I like the sound of Toronto, because it's very cosmopolitan and has lots of parks/theatres/trendy bars/restaurants/funky neighbourhoods. Somewhere like Edmonton or indeed Calgary probably doesn't have these, am I fair in that assumption?
Old Mar 18th 2004, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, Vancouver is more multicultural than Calgary - no question. That also was brought more problems - Air India bombing, various Asian gangs at war with each other, etc.

Vancouver probably has more "monster truck" events than Calgary in a year.
Well, obviously you prefer Calgary. I don't know because I've been to neither places. Calgary might turn out to be nothing like I imagined.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 5:31 pm
mañana is my busiest day

Hmm, no not really! My comments are always pretty light hearted and never intended to cause offense. There are plenty of places in Britain I consider to be inhabited by rednecks! Wigan, to name but one!!
I still stand by my comments that Calgary is more business orientated than say Montreal? You tell me, is it not?
I also understand it is socially more conservative than say Toronto is it not?
I like the sound of Toronto, because it's very cosmopolitan and has lots of parks/theatres/trendy bars/restaurants/funky neighbourhoods. Somewhere like Edmonton or indeed Calgary probably doesn't have these, am I fair in that assumption?
Is Calgary more business orientated than Montreal? I'm not sure that it is. Maybe it's just more successful at business than Montreal.

Is Calgary more socially conservative that Toronto? I'm not so sure about that either? Depends on exactly what you mean. Alberta and Ontario are essentially the same with respect to conservative thinking.

"I like the sound of Toronto, because it's very cosmopolitan and has lots of parks/theatres/trendy bars/restaurants/funky neighbourhoods. Somewhere like Edmonton or indeed Calgary probably doesn't have these, am I fair in that assumption?"

Edmonton and Calgary both have those things, but not like Toronto by a long shot.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

c.kirk is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by oceanMDX
You guys make me laugh; if you think that Calgary is "very isolated",

But if you look on any map ,Calgary is one of the most isolated citys in Canada if not the world, Some may like that but you cant distort the facts. 1 million, no trains going to anywhere!
Old Mar 18th 2004, 6:12 pm
mañana is my busiest day

[QUOTE]Originally posted by c.kirk
You guys make me laugh; if you think that Calgary is "very isolated",

But if you look on any map ,Calgary is one of the most isolated citys in Canada if not the world, Some may like that but you cant distort the facts. 1 million, no trains going to anywhere!
But Calgary is at the center of the Universe. Cites like London and Paris are some of its outer planets that just revolve around it.

What do you mean that Calgary has no train? Here, look:

http://www.heritagepark.ca/visitor.htm

This is sacrilege!
Old Mar 18th 2004, 6:20 pm
mañana is my busiest day

Well, obviously you prefer Calgary. I don't know because I've been to neither places. Calgary might turn out to be nothing like I imagined.
This is ironic, but I'll be moving my motor home out of Las Vegas to Vancouver (in 2 months), because the RV parks around Calgary are lousy, but those in Vancouver are rather nice. So in two months, I'll be living in Vancouver.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Mar 18th 2004 at 9:16 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

dazed&confused is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Okanagan Valley?

Opened a can of worms there didnt I?

Anyway as a point of interest, getting out of Vancouver and heading for the Okanagan valley I believe this is a lovely place and the place that appealed to us most is a city named Kelowna. It looks absolutely gorgeous.

Didn't realise how far out of Vancouver it was when I originally posted the question.

Anybody know it ?
Old Mar 18th 2004, 9:04 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Okanagan Valley?

Originally posted by dazed&confused

Anyway as a point of interest, getting out of Vancouver and heading for the Okanagan valley I believe this is a lovely place and the place that appealed to us most is a city named Kelowna. It looks absolutely gorgeous.

Didn't realise how far out of Vancouver it was when I originally posted the question.

Anybody know it ?

It is a lovely (albeit sprawling) city.

Check out these links

http://www.welcometokelowna.com
http://www.castanet.net/
http://www.city.kelowna.bc.ca/

Clare
Old Mar 18th 2004, 9:20 pm
mañana is my busiest day

Default Re: Okanagan Valley?

Originally posted by dazed&confused

Anybody know it ?
Yes, the Okanagan valley is a wonderful area. It's really great in the summer - you should see it then.

Different Canadian cities have a rivalry: Toronto/Montreal, Edmonton/Calgary - especially when it comes to hockey. Get used to it. We can get a little feisty, as you see.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 9:32 pm
mickj

Doing so is no more foolish than suggesting that England is a "fag" country because a "Queen" is the head of state! Can you see what I mean?

You spout a lot of bollocks don't you? No i do not see what you mean
A fag country? She is your head of state after all, but as you are from kitchener ontario, i don't expect you to know that

Comparing England to Calgary, what are you going to think of next

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.