Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver or Calgary ?

View Poll Results: Vancouver or Calgary?
Vancouver
71.43%
Calgary
28.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Vancouver or Calgary ?

Old Mar 16th 2004, 7:52 pm
mickj

Originally posted by oceanMDX
I still don't see how Calgary can be "isolated" when it's the center of the Universe.

What is Sampa? Are you referring to the South African Model Power Boating Association?

Very Original......and you say you are in mexico? I reckon you are in a bedsit in Kitchener, since you keep going on about the place 24-7

Am surprise you didn't call it Salvation Army Model Power Boating Association You need to get out more geezer :lecture:

I mean for someone that thinks Calgary is the canine's testicles What would you be doing in Mexico, if you are there at all that is !

Old Mar 16th 2004, 9:58 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by mickj
Very Original......and you say you are in mexico? I reckon you are in a bedsit in Kitchener, since you keep going on about the place 24-7

Am surprise you didn't call it Salvation Army Model Power Boating Association You need to get out more geezer :lecture:

I mean for someone that thinks Calgary is the canine's testicles What would you be doing in Mexico, if you are there at all that is !
I never heard of "Sampa" before so I typed it into a search engine to see what would come up. Guess what came up? "South African Model Power Boating Assocation"! I kid you not.

I'm in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. We may have the world's best weather. Lived here for 9 years (since I retired) - but I travel around North America. Like I told you before, I was raised and educated in Waterloo and worked in Alberta. Do you know how close Waterloo is to Kitchener sunnyboy?

By the way, I retired at the age of 40, so I'm not a "geezer" just yet thank you, but you may consider me your elder. :lecture:

Last edited by oceanMDX; Mar 16th 2004 at 10:11 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2004, 1:16 am
mickj

Like I told you before, I was raised and educated in Waterloo and worked in Alberta. Do you know how close Waterloo is to Kitchener sunnyboy?

By the way, I retired at the age of 40, so I'm not a "geezer" just yet thank you, but you may consider me your elder. :lecture:

As close as mexico is to brazil
I don't need your biography here Mr Kitchener, who cares if you retired at 40 or not, it means diddly squat to me. The word GEEZER was used in a different terminology than the one you are used to in Kitchener, you should have included Europe in your travels

GEEZER=DUDE

Off you go GRINGO

Old Mar 17th 2004, 2:06 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by mickj
As close as mexico is to brazil
I don't need your biography here Mr Kitchener, who cares if you retired at 40 or not, it means diddly squat to me. The word GEEZER was used in a different terminology than the one you are used to in Kitchener, you should have included Europe in your travels

GEEZER=DUDE

Off you go GRINGO
Wrong! Kitchener is attached to Waterloo.

Do I sense just a little jealousy here?

If you work hard and are really smart, you might be so lucky, but you'll also have to read my posts very carefully to achieve that.

"Gringo" is a term used by Mexicans (and others in Latin America) to refer to the citizens of the United States, not Canadians.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Mar 17th 2004 at 2:15 am.
Old Mar 17th 2004, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

Cykotronic is an unknown quantity at this point

Wrong! Kitchener is attached to Waterloo.

Do I sense just a little jealousy here?

If you work hard and are really smart, you might be so lucky, but you'll also have to read my posts very carefully to achieve that.

"Gringo" is a term used by Mexicans (and others in Latin America) to refer to the citizens of the United States, not Canadians.
Ummmm...perhaps in Mexico, but most certainly not in Brazil. Gringos is used in Brazil to describe anyone from a Western country -- American, Canadian, Dutch, etc. Heck, you can be an American of Mexican decent and still have a German-Brazilian call you gringo.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 6:01 am
Just Joined

jbean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Vancouver or Calgary ?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dazed&confused
Hi there,
As you are all aware we are dead set on going to Calgary I have a job offer and everything.
But I have had a seed placed in my head, if I was to get a job in Vancouver (a possibility) I would then have a straight choice.

What would all you people out there do I would love all the pro's & Cons of both places,
I know the basic one about the house prices etc. but would love to know the main difference in living standards, cosys, qualities etc.

All this bagging of Vancouver isn't really fair. I love Vancouver. It is beautiful and eclectic. It is lovley to walk down the street with a coffee in your hand with the water and big snowcapped mountains in the back drop. Of course there are some areas that through the statistics off but you avoid areas like the Downtown east side. There deffinetly is a homlessness issue here as Vancouver has the best weather so all the homeless migrate here. If you are into music all the big names have concerts here as well there is a National Hockey Team here which is worth a look. The employment is deffenetly better in Alberta though but what are you going to do with money when it's 40 degrees below 0. No thank you. I would reather leave that for the polar bears.
good luck.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

seamonsta is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jbean
Originally posted by dazed&confused
Hi there,
As you are all aware we are dead set on going to Calgary I have a job offer and everything.
But I have had a seed placed in my head, if I was to get a job in Vancouver (a possibility) I would then have a straight choice.

What would all you people out there do I would love all the pro's & Cons of both places,
I know the basic one about the house prices etc. but would love to know the main difference in living standards, cosys, qualities etc.

All this bagging of Vancouver isn't really fair. I love Vancouver. It is beautiful and eclectic. It is lovley to walk down the street with a coffee in your hand with the water and big snowcapped mountains in the back drop. Of course there are some areas that through the statistics off but you avoid areas like the Downtown east side. There deffinetly is a homlessness issue here as Vancouver has the best weather so all the homeless migrate here. If you are into music all the big names have concerts here as well there is a National Hockey Team here which is worth a look. The employment is deffenetly better in Alberta though but what are you going to do with money when it's 40 degrees below 0. No thank you. I would reather leave that for the polar bears.
good luck.

I've never been, but I would much prefer Vancouver to be honest. Calgary strikes me as being THE most American of Canadian cities. A sort of cold version of Dallas. Perhaps I'm being grossly unfair? Lots of people also tell me it is rather right-wing. Didn't it vote for that loony right Canadian Alliance?
Old Mar 18th 2004, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

Regarding homelessness. Goodness, I find it hard to believe it's worse than London! The scale of homelessness there is very disturbing! It must run into tens of thousands.:scared:
Old Mar 18th 2004, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by seamonsta
I've never been, but I would much prefer Vancouver to be honest. Calgary strikes me as being THE most American of Canadian cities. A sort of cold version of Dallas. Perhaps I'm being grossly unfair? Lots of people also tell me it is rather right-wing. Didn't it vote for that loony right Canadian Alliance?
And tell me what's wrong with being right-wing? As a leftist, shouldn't you be tolerant of other people's views, even if you don't agree with them?
Old Mar 18th 2004, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Cykotronic
And tell me what's wrong with being right-wing? As a leftist, shouldn't you be tolerant of other people's views, even if you don't agree with them?
There's nothing wrong with being right wing, it's just I'd prefer to live in a more open, funky, liberally minded city that's all.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

There's nothing wrong with being right wing, it's just I'd prefer to live in a more open, funky, liberally minded city that's all.
Calgary is a pretty open city as well. But then, being that you've never been there, you wouldn't know. Perhaps it's best if you stop rushing to judgments until experiencing something yourself. Otherwise, you look like an ass.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Cykotronic
Calgary is a pretty open city as well. But then, being that you've never been there, you wouldn't know. Perhaps it's best if you stop rushing to judgments until experiencing something yourself. Otherwise, you look like an ass.
Alright, don't your knickers in a twist. I already stated I've never been there, however I have a friend from Edmonton who said Calgary's full of rednecks. I don't know if it is or not, however judging by the fact it is famous for an annual stampede I wouldn't say they were far off the mark!
Old Mar 18th 2004, 3:28 pm
mañana is my busiest day

Most Calgarians do have conservative views - but only relative to left-wing Canada. That's one of the reasons why Alberta has the healthiest economy in Canada. They try to keep the lid on "tax and spend". Calgary really does have a lot going for it - don't knock it, until you try it. Your beloved Nova Scotia would become a whole lot poorer than it is if not for the money it gets indirectly from Alberta. It's rather easy for people to be left-wing when they are lucky enough to have others paying the bills.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Mar 18th 2004 at 3:47 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 3:34 pm
mañana is my busiest day

Alright, don't your knickers in a twist. I already stated I've never been there, however I have a friend from Edmonton who said Calgary's full of rednecks. I don't know if it is or not, however judging by the fact it is famous for an annual stampede I wouldn't say they were far off the mark!
Tell your friend that Edmonton's population is less educated, and lower paid than Calgary's. Then ask him if he knows why?

Edmonton is blue collar, Calgary is white collar.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

Tell your friend that Edmonton's population is less educated, and lower paid than Calgary's. Then ask him if he knows why?

Edmonton is blue collar, Calgary is white collar.
Truer words have never been spoken. One of the many, many reasons I sped out of there after graduating.

Calgary always advancing, leaving Edmonton in the dust. I'm speaking as a former Edmontonian.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.