Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver or Calgary ?

View Poll Results: Vancouver or Calgary?
Vancouver
71.43%
Calgary
28.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Vancouver or Calgary ?

Old Mar 15th 2004, 2:02 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Just to compare, the cost (Canadian $) of flying to Heathrow for two people with Air Canada (not that I recommend AC):

Depart June 20/04 Return June 27/04:

From Calgary: $2,928

From Vancouver: $ 2,859

In this example, Vancouver was a tad less costly than Calgary. Other carriers may be cheaper.

I'll bet that it's hard to get "stilton" in Calgary. Few in Calgary would even know what it is.

There are only 3 centers in Canada that get significant immigration: Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal. Alberta is only starting to attract immigrants. Alberta's population is growing because of migration from other parts of Canada, and due to "natural" population growth. Ergo, if you are looking for something exotic, it may or may not be available in Calgary because the city doesn't have a high population of various ethnic groups. I have lived all over North America, and have found the food available in Calgary to be very good in general - but then again, I don't like moldy cheese.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Mar 15th 2004 at 3:27 am.
Old Mar 15th 2004, 3:09 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Vancouver or Calgary ?

Dear D&C..

There are some Calgary and Vancouver specific sites you might like to check out ... and see if they have any suggestions

Calgary
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Calgaryimmigrants/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/immigrationuktocalgary/

& Vancouver
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/van-immi/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Brits2Vancouver/

All the best

Clare
Old Mar 15th 2004, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Originally posted by oceanMDX
I have lived all over North America, and have found the food available in Calgary to be very good in general - but then again, I don't like moldy cheese.
What do you think the original European poster was referring to as "specialty food?" Grits? Corn bread? Fried chicken? Cheeseburgers? Yes, we can get all of these in ample quantity and quality in Calgary. Although I am still trying to find someone who sells Hebrew National hot dogs before barbeque season starts (anyone know an Alberta retailer that does?).

The bottom line is that the availability of specialty food in Calgary is pitiful, even when compared to other significant Canadian towns. What is available is not always of good quality but is nearly always overpriced.

Calgary has the third busiest airport in Canada.
Well I'll be damned. That must be busy. I'll bet it's got a Tim Horton's and everything. Calgary's airport, it's brown airport, with brown walls, and brown seats, and brown carpets, and ridiculous stetson wearing plane greaters (who fortunately wear red outfits, not brown ones). Who'd have thought it could be the third busiest in Canada! And incredibly well connected to the world, with non-stop flights to Pheonix Arizona. No, I don't require a lecture on the airport renovations, I pass through that tinpot garden shed often enough to see the progress firsthand.

The simple truth is that for a European used to the availability of flights between major cities for under $100, Calgary is going to feel isolated. You can't get much change out of $2,000 to get from Calgary to anywhere serious. Pheonix Arizona aside.
Old Mar 15th 2004, 1:59 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

What do you think the original European poster was referring to as "specialty food?" Grits? Corn bread? Fried chicken? Cheeseburgers? Yes, we can get all of these in ample quantity and quality in Calgary. Although I am still trying to find someone who sells Hebrew National hot dogs before barbeque season starts (anyone know an Alberta retailer that does?).
Grits? Corn bread? Fried chicken? Cheese burgers? You forgot about crawdads. I think those foods may be more popular with the rest of your family living in the US, because they’re southern US (Ozark Mountains?) dishes, not western Canadian. Items on the menu from restaurants in Calgary like Joey’s Tomato, Boston Pizza, Swiss Chalet and scores of others, from French to Japanese can be very good:
http://www.visitor.calgary.ab.ca/travel/dining.html

The quality of produce in Calgary isn't as bad as you purport, and many bakeries are very good.

I hate to say it, but British cuisine is not too popular in North America; French, Italian, Greek, Thai, Chinese among others are much more popular. You see, based on the flavor of British food, many of us in North America figure that British cuisine is a major reason why people want to leave the UK. We don’t expect anyone to crave for the stuff after they arrive. You want Hebrew National hot dogs? No problem, Costco carries that brand. Hebrew National hot dogs are as chewy as a soft rubber ball. I know, I recently made the mistake of buying some. Yet you like them, but complain about Canadian food? Like they say, there is no accounting for taste.

Well I'll be damned. That must be busy. I'll bet it's got a Tim Horton's and everything. Calgary's airport, it's brown airport, with brown walls, and brown seats, and brown carpets, and ridiculous stetson wearing plane greaters (who fortunately wear red outfits, not brown ones). Who'd have thought it could be the third busiest in Canada! And incredibly well connected to the world, with non-stop flights to Pheonix Arizona. No, I don't require a lecture on the airport renovations, I pass through that tinpot garden shed often enough to see the progress firsthand.
You can't get much change out of $2,000 to get from Calgary to anywhere serious. Pheonix Arizona aside.
Actually, I checked flights from Calgary to Vancouver and Toronto with WestJet. The flight to (return included) Vancouver cost $131.12, and the flight to Toronto cost $179.27 – taxes and fees included. With "Tango" it's $424.11 (return) to go to San Francisco (including all taxes and fees). What were you saying about not being able to get much change out of $2,000 to fly anywhere serious? By the way, Calgary International is an airport, not a museum. The place looks okay to me (it's not brown all over):

http://www.calgaryairport.com/author...sandphotos.cfm

If you have to hold your nose up and insult the citizens of the country that you have chosen to impose yourself upon, at least get your facts straight. Try to keep the baloney to a minimum – even if it is your favorite food.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Mar 15th 2004 at 6:45 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2004, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

dazed&confused is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Vancouver or Calgary ?

Originally posted by ClareBC
Dear D&C..

There are some Calgary and Vancouver specific sites you might like to check out ... and see if they have any suggestions

Calgary
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Calgaryimmigrants/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/immigrationuktocalgary/

& Vancouver
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/van-immi/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Brits2Vancouver/

All the best

Clare

Thanks Clare,
I am already a member of the Calgary ones tremendous source of info for us just waiting, I will have a look at the Vancouver ones.
Cheers and thanks again

P.S
I didn't mean to open such a can of worms. :scared:
Old Mar 15th 2004, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

If you have to hold your nose up and insult the citizens of the country that you have chosen to impose yourself upon, at least get your facts straight.
Calgary and Calgarians have a beauty all of their own, and it is not defined by the availability of specialty foods or the quality of its airport.
Old Mar 15th 2004, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

louisa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: More questions on Vancouver vs Calgary

Originally posted by CalgaryAMC

It can be a challenge to get high quality food in Calgary. I have an ongoing battle to find a source of decent English stilton. The stuff sold in the grocery stores is absolute garbage. But that's my particular issue... The staples are all there, but fresh produce is second rate, on the whole, and third rate if out of season. It is also expensive. I don't know how Vancouver compares on this; I am comparing with what I was used to in the UK. There is an exception though: the wild pacific salmon is to die for and extremely cheap.
for all your cheese needs in Calgary, try the Janice Beaton shop on 17th Ave, otherwise there is a very good cheese shop in the Crossroads market off Blackfoot Trail. there's also the British Pantry in the NW (Crowfoot and Northland Dr) that sells cheese. some of the Healthfood shops/organic shops have interesting cheeses too, I once found some Manchego in one of these in Kensington.

you can find all kinds of food here but it can be hard work. I find that Superstore sells a few British products, including chocolate, M and S soup, sometimes tea etc

I hate to say it, but British cuisine is not too popular in North America; French, Italian, Greek, Thai, Chinese among others are much more popular. You see, based on the flavor of British food, many of us in North America figure that British cuisine is a major reason why people want to leave the UK. We don’t expect anyone to crave for the stuff after they arrive.
that's because people don't know what British cuisine is, they think it's all pies and fish and chips. the choice in British supermarkets is far superior and more varied to that in US and Canada, that's because consumers are more demanding. personally, i think north american cuisine is over-rated, although it is easy, bbq or deep fry. I haven't had a decent chinese meal in Canada so have given that up, but have found great Greek, Italian, Lebanese, Japanese, South American, Spanish, not-so-bad Indian, etc. plenty of variety
Old Mar 15th 2004, 9:08 pm
mañana is my busiest day

Originally posted by louisa

...that's because people don't know what British cuisine is, they think it's all pies and fish and chips. the choice in British supermarkets is far superior and more varied to that in US and Canada, that's because consumers are more demanding. personally, i think north american cuisine is over-rated, although it is easy, bbq or deep fry. I haven't had a decent chinese meal in Canada so have given that up, but have found great Greek, Italian, Lebanese, Japanese, South American, Spanish, not-so-bad Indian, etc. plenty of variety
It looks like North America isn't the only area that would rather pass on British cuisine:

“The only restaurant in Paris serving traditional British cuisine is shutting its doors, because the French can't be tempted to eat the food.�

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/1148225.stm

As far as the variety in grocery stores in Canada, if enough people ask for a particular item, a store will often bring it in. I have seen this occur over the years, especially under the influence of immigration from Hong Kong/China. Lots of vegetables can now be found in the stores to please the oriental taste. If you want an item, let the stores know about it.

Marks & Spencer used to have stores around Alberta, but people didn't care to buy what they had to offer, so the stores closed.
Old Mar 15th 2004, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by louisa
for all your cheese needs in Calgary, try the Janice Beaton shop on 17th Ave, otherwise there is a very good cheese shop in the Crossroads market off Blackfoot Trail. there's also the British Pantry in the NW (Crowfoot and Northland Dr) that sells cheese. some of the Healthfood shops/organic shops have interesting cheeses too, I once found some Manchego in one of these in Kensington.
Thanks Louisa. The wife of a colleague of mine recommended Crossroads Market and I did get a decent pot of Stilton there; but it's hard work getting over there. But as I'm in the NW I will definitely pay a visit to the British pantry.
Old Mar 16th 2004, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

Cykotronic is an unknown quantity at this point

I lived in Edmonton for 14 years, but visited Calgary and Vancouver quite a bit and have some family in both cities.

As a place to visit, Vancouver definitely has more to offer from the natural scenery to “culture�. In terms of living, I’d say Calgary wins hands down. I’d even say it has the highest quality of life of any major city in Canada. It’s clean, safe, relatively affordable and there is ample to do to keep you busy. Calgary also has the best economy of any major Canadian city, so the job prospects are better there compared to the rest of Canada, and especially Vancouver. Furthermore, I like Calgarians and think they generally have good heads on their shoulders; they’re not “activists� like Vancouverites.

If I had stayed in Canada, I probably would have moved to Calgary because it really is a nice city. But the Alberta isolation really got to me and I got bored. You can try to bring up cheap airline fares all you want, but Alberta is a very isolated place and you can’t drive for a few hours to somewhere significant. At least for me, the Rockies got boring after a while and I am more of the beach type.

Overall, I’d move to Calgary if I were you; I think Vancouver is overrated.
Old Mar 16th 2004, 6:21 pm
mickj

Originally posted by Cykotronic
I lived in Edmonton for 14 years, but visited Calgary and Vancouver quite a bit and have some family in both cities.

As a place to visit, Vancouver definitely has more to offer from the natural scenery to “culture�. In terms of living, I’d say Calgary wins hands down. I’d even say it has the highest quality of life of any major city in Canada. It’s clean, safe, relatively affordable and there is ample to do to keep you busy. Calgary also has the best economy of any major Canadian city, so the job prospects are better there compared to the rest of Canada, and especially Vancouver. Furthermore, I like Calgarians and think they generally have good heads on their shoulders; they’re not “activists� like Vancouverites.

If I had stayed in Canada, I probably would have moved to Calgary because it really is a nice city. But the Alberta isolation really got to me and I got bored. You can try to bring up cheap airline fares all you want, but Alberta is a very isolated place and you can’t drive for a few hours to somewhere significant. At least for me, the Rockies got boring after a while and I am more of the beach type.

Overall, I’d move to Calgary if I were you; I think Vancouver is overrated.
So overrated it was voted joint first with Vienna as the city with the best standard of living in the world.

God....where the hell do they get those surveys from?

Old Mar 16th 2004, 6:27 pm
mañana is my busiest day

You guys make me laugh; if you think that Calgary is "very isolated", you need to live in Yellowknife, or Lewisporte for a year. Then you've have a clue of what you're talking about!!!

Last edited by oceanMDX; Mar 16th 2004 at 6:29 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2004, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by mickj
So overrated it was voted joint first with Vienna as the city with the best standard of living in the world.

God....where the hell do they get those surveys from?
LOL! Agreed.

You guys make me laugh; if you think that Calgary is "very isolated", you need to live in Yellowknife, or Lewisporte for a year. Then you've have a clue of what you're talking about!!
All relative. Compared to Toronto, London, NYC or Sampa, Calgary is a very, very isolated place. Give me those places any day.
Old Mar 16th 2004, 6:47 pm
mañana is my busiest day

Originally posted by Cykotronic
LOL! Agreed.

All relative. Compared to Toronto, London, NYC or Sampa, Calgary is a very, very isolated place. Give me those places any day.
I still don't see how Calgary can be "isolated" when it's the center of the Universe.

What is Sampa? Are you referring to the South African Model Power Boating Association?
Old Mar 16th 2004, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

I still don't see how Calgary can be "isolated" when it's the center of the Universe.

What is Sampa? Are you referring to the South African Model Power Boating Association?
Loved the Toronto jibe!

Sampa=Sao Paulo. As a well traveled man, I thought you'd know already.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.