Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Useful info for your first visit, pass it on

Useful info for your first visit, pass it on

Old Jul 31st 2008, 7:36 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Useful info for your first visit, pass it on

Originally Posted by Morwenna
....unless you are turning right, when you may proceed if it's safe to do so.... (or left into a one-way system, unless it says otherwise....)

hi from Ingerland btw! (counting the days til I can come back home to Calgary!)
Right you are, I forgot about the right and left turn on red.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
I know that!!
Well excuuuuuuuuuse me.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 7:38 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Well excuuuuuuuuuse me.
he he !! - she is currently up high in the sky !!!!
Old Jul 31st 2008, 8:57 pm
One Quarter Canadian

Hortons to go is an unknown quantity at this point

If you see a school bus stopping then stop even if it is facing you. Both directions must stop. This seems to be good idea. But pedestrians having the right of way seems bad as we saw people walking out in the road without stoping or looking first. I even saw a young girl with her head down looking at her ipod suddenly change direction on the pavement and walk straight acroos the road. There are signs up warning of the right of way rule but people must get run over.

Another thing i found out to my cost in Pictou, if you see a police car coming towards you don't think they can't work out how fast you are driving as the police car has a radar fitted to the front if it and can work out how fast you are going. Luckily for me i was let of with a warning.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Hortons to go
If you see a school bus stopping then stop even if it is facing you. Both directions must stop. This seems to be good idea. But pedestrians having the right of way seems bad as we saw people walking out in the road without stopping or looking first. I even saw a young girl with her head down looking at her ipod suddenly change direction on the pavement and walk straight acroos the road. There are signs up warning of the right of way rule but people must get run over.

Another thing i found out to my cost in Pictou, if you see a police car coming towards you don't think they can't work out how fast you are driving as the police car has a radar fitted to the front if it and can work out how fast you are going. Luckily for me i was let of with a warning.
In Alberta the rule for stopping for a school bus only applies in rural areas, not in the city.

See Almost Canadians response below.

I stand corrected it is a Calgary by-law not necessarily a city/rural thing.

Last edited by Steve_P; Jul 31st 2008 at 9:48 pm.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hortons to go
If you see a school bus stopping then stop even if it is facing you. Both directions must stop. This seems to be good idea. But pedestrians having the right of way seems bad as we saw people walking out in the road without stoping or looking first. I even saw a young girl with her head down looking at her ipod suddenly change direction on the pavement and walk straight acroos the road. There are signs up warning of the right of way rule but people must get run over.

Depends where you are, no stopping for buses in Calgary - a bus driver friend says a by-law prevents her from putting her "flashing lights" on
Old Jul 31st 2008, 10:14 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

In Alberta the rule for stopping for a school bus only applies in rural areas, not in the city.

See Almost Canadians response below.

I stand corrected it is a Calgary by-law not necessarily a city/rural thing.
If the amber flashing lights on the bus come on then red lights are flashing and the stop sign is out on the bus by the driver - Stop. If not you can pass a school bus.

Play Zones and School Zones 30km/h Only during specific times and school zones not active in school breaks.

Traffic light cameras, never know if they are going to get ya. We don't have speed cameras in BC anymore, think they got sold to Ontario.

Tourists are not imune to traffic tickets. You rent a car, you leave a credit card imprint and sign an undertaking that you will cover all traffic fines. Even if you don't pay before you leave the rental car company are kind enough to do it on your behalf, then bill your C/C.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 10:20 pm
One Quarter Canadian

Hortons to go is an unknown quantity at this point

I must have been lucky then, scary though.

[QUOTE=
Tourists are not imune to traffic tickets. You rent a car, you leave a credit card imprint and sign an undertaking that you will cover all traffic fines. Even if you don't pay before you leave the rental car company are kind enough to do it on your behalf, then bill your C/C.[/QUOTE]
Old Jul 31st 2008, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
Play Zones and School Zones 30km/h Only during specific times and school zones not active in school breaks.

This one is one to watch in the summer as some schools are on modified calendars. Signs should indicate such. Question for Surrey Expat, I don't think I have ever seen a end school zone sign in B.C. Does such a thing exist or do you just guess when the school zone ends?

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
Traffic light cameras, never know if they are going to get ya. We don't have speed cameras in BC anymore, think they got sold to Ontario.
Speed cameras in Calgary although currently the province won't allow the use of speed cameras on provincial highways.

We also have red light cameras and coming soon speed on green at traffic lights so if you accelerate to make a green or amber light you're going to get nailed.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 10:31 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Question for Surrey Expat, I don't think I have ever seen a end school zone sign in B.C. Does such a thing exist or do you just guess when the school zone ends?
They don't exist. You just have to look out for the start of the zone in your rear view mirror as you leave it.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by bazzz
They don't exist. You just have to look out for the start of the zone in your rear view mirror as you leave it.
Thanks, that is sort what I thought.

Is it the same for playground zones?
Old Aug 1st 2008, 1:15 am
BE Enthusiast

rach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud of

When a policeman came to our house (to ask why we were unloading ladders from our car at 10pm, just bought from Walmart!) we asked him if he wanted a brew. He was not amused.

Good to now know that a brew here is beer, not a cup of tea

Stamps - for those of us still in the dark ages - are harder to buy away from the post office. And to post a letter, you put it in your mailbox (if you have one), put the little indicator stick up, and the postie will collect it for you to be delivered. Neat!

I'll try to think of some more ..
Old Aug 1st 2008, 1:46 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rach_woz99
Stamps - for those of us still in the dark ages - are harder to buy away from the post office.
Stamps are widely available at pretty much any convenience store, gas station and supermarket in my experience.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 2:38 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rach_woz99
And to post a letter, you put it in your mailbox (if you have one), put the little indicator stick up, and the postie will collect it for you to be delivered. Neat!
Not in the City of Calgary.
x
Old Aug 1st 2008, 5:19 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Stamps are widely available at pretty much any convenience store, gas station and supermarket in my experience.
And Costco.

If you buy international stamps and post the letter there an then in the Post Office, there is no GST. Take the stamps away and do it later and you pay GST. Useful at Christmas when sending lots of cards & letters.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.