Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Useful info for your first visit, pass it on

Useful info for your first visit, pass it on

Old Jul 31st 2008, 2:10 pm
One Quarter Canadian

Hortons to go is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Useful info for your first visit, pass it on

Hi all, when we decided to visit Canada last year the first thing we did was to log on to BE and fill up on information. This saved us 20% on our flights thanks to the wonderful contributors to this site.

This got me thinking, what useful info could you pass on to first time visitors to Canada.

I would recommend go to a drug store and ask for a $10 phone card (i think the provider was CIC?) We got a till recept with a code on it, we could then call the UK from any call box for as little as 2p a min just by calling a number on the recept and an operator would connect us to friends and family in the UK. Another thing about phones, we called people that we met earlier on our visit in Margretsville from a New Ross call box and it cost around $3 for very little time. This was explained that even though they were a little over an hour away the call cost is long distance. Very strange.

Another thing we feel we should pass on although trivial, 'President Range' products in 'Atlatic Superstores' (supermarket) means Value or noname and not 'Finest' as we thought. We thought if its good enough for the president... lol.

We also found that eating out during the day at places like McDonalds was expensive and for us wasnt very nice. We would recommend 'Swiss Chalet' as you get real food a nice atmosphere and it wasnt much dearer than the fast food chains although i could eat a Wendys Baconator right now! oh yes regular coke is bigger than our large. The only queues we found in NS were at the drive through at 'Tim Hortons' a coffee chain that is every where, in fact if you through a stone you would probably hit one (not recommended) Join its worth it! for a 'double double.

Just another thought, if you go whale watching don't volunteer to be the camera operator. You'll see nothing and all your friends at home will have to sit though hours of sea and sky with the occasional blurry fin disappearing back into the water.

Please post things that you would feel could be useful to new visitors.
Thanks for your time.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 2:21 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Useful info for your first visit, pass it on

Originally Posted by Hortons to go
This got me thinking, what useful info could you pass on to first time visitors to Canada.
Dont eat the yellow snow...

"Rubbers" are to prevent mistakes here, not to erase them..
Old Jul 31st 2008, 2:28 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
Dont eat the yellow snow...

"Rubbers" are to prevent mistakes here, not to erase them..
Play nicely. The OP is trying to be helpful. Except for the Swiss Chalet bit.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 2:33 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Whats wrong with Swiss Chalet, as long as you want chicken?....Its not substantially more expensive than McDs by the time you get happy meals etc..and they do have relatively healthy options. Its not haut cuisine, but I like it well enough.

Just no where for the kids to let off some steam, and lets face it, the "playland" is the only rational reason to take kids to McDs, its certainly not for the food or atmosphere.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 2:46 pm
One Quarter Canadian

Its OK i've been using this site for over four years, it's expected.

Whats wrong with swiss chalet, i know its not the Ivy.
We cooked most evenings but when we were out and didnt fancy something in a bap we found there food ok and not pricey.

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Play nicely. The OP is trying to be helpful. Except for the Swiss Chalet bit.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 2:58 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Its OK i've been using this site for over four years, it's expected.

Whats wrong with swiss chalet, i know its not the Ivy.
We cooked most evenings but when we were out and didnt fancy something in a bap we found there food ok and not pricey.
What's right with it? The one and only time I went into one I think the chicken died of natural causes.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 3:04 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
What's right with it? The one and only time I went into one I think the chicken died of natural causes.
Ive been far more than once, and never had a bad meal there.... maybe you were unlucky? Whats right with it...well, I love their chips for one thing....
Old Jul 31st 2008, 3:45 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Tell your UK Credit Card company your going to Canada....or you may find your card doesn't work...grrrrrrrr
Old Jul 31st 2008, 4:07 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Another thing we feel we should pass on although trivial, 'President Range' products in 'Atlatic Superstores' (supermarket) means Value or noname and not 'Finest' as we thought. We thought if its good enough for the president... lol.
Ah...but it is the finest of the no name brands.

Where is that tongue in cheek smiley?
Old Jul 31st 2008, 4:11 pm
One Quarter Canadian

Credit card helps if you want to hire a car. I didn't plan for this and as i had cut my card up years earlier and being smug at the fact i didnt need credit. I Found myself calling almost every rental company in NS. Finally a nice young lady suggested that we called Rent-a-wreck as they take cash. I did this and spoke to a nice man called Jim, he told me that he could 'get my arse into a car' and when i said what are the cars like? he said 'good, i even have one here with electric windows'. I found myself on landing having to get a cab to Dartmouth from Halifax AP and asking the driver to drop us off at RENT-A-WRECK at CHEAPY TYRES. I can still see the cab driver face!
Thankfully the car was good and was only a couple of years old with all the mod cons. Jim was very helpful but a valid credit card would have made things a lot easier.

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Tell your UK Credit Card company your going to Canada....or you may find your card doesn't work...grrrrrrrr
Old Jul 31st 2008, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Are you referring to "President's Choice"? I don't think the range is too bad or have my standards dropped since moving here?
Old Jul 31st 2008, 4:40 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have a "gold" or "platinum" credit card check the fine print. You may find that it will cover the collision damage waiver on car rentals if you use the card to pay for the rental.

Can be a sizeable savings.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stepnek
Are you referring to "President's Choice"? I don't think the range is too bad or have my standards dropped since moving here?
We find it not bad at all and they have some veggie choices which pleases us both.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

Sockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant future

Have to agree, President's Choice cookies (Decadent I think they are called) are the nicest cookie I've tasted here yet. Particularly good broken up as a topping for ice-cream too.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Traffic lights are a mile or two from the place you're expected to stop, be careful.

Flashing green is a turn filter, flashing orange means caution not stop and flashing red is totally pointless - may as well be static red

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.