Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Useful info for your first visit, pass it on

Wikiposts

Useful info for your first visit, pass it on

Old Jul 31st 2008, 5:20 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Useful info for your first visit, pass it on

Originally Posted by rach_woz99
And to post a letter, you put it in your mailbox (if you have one), put the little indicator stick up, and the postie will collect it for you to be delivered. Neat!
Unless there is a lot of mail theft in the area and someone else beats the postie to it!
Old Jul 31st 2008, 5:35 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
If you buy international stamps and post the letter there an then in the Post Office, there is no GST. Take the stamps away and do it later and you pay GST. Useful at Christmas when sending lots of cards & letters.
Really? I had no idea. That could make quite a difference at Christmas.
x
Old Jul 31st 2008, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

dinoffc is an unknown quantity at this point

Try to drive on the correct side of the road....

Once, whilst holidaying with a friend and having borrowed a Canadian friends car i found myself on the wrong side of the road. To correct this I went through a red light (on the wrong side of the road..). The police pulled me over and I grovelled (whilst flattering my lashes..) that I was British, not used to driving on the right, not used to the car I was driving etc They let me off and then promptly followed us into Tim Hortons where I'd parked for a much needed coffee to tell me I'd left my lights on... They were grinning just a little..

Also don't pull up in a snow filled camp site after dark and park your RV by the petrol pumps whilst trying to find if there is anyone around to check you in for the night. The police passed and pulled my OH and I and we had to go to seperate parts of the campsite while they shone torches at our passports and asked us many questions as to why we were there, what we were doing etc. They thought we were trying to pump gas...Eventually they found someone to check us in for the night but we had to shovel snow out of our 'hook up site' first just to get the van in.....

Seriously though - stop in both directions for a flashing school bus..this is a crime with punishment of death (well not quite but it is seen as a major motoring offence.)

And stop TOTALLY at a stop sign. Don't just slow down, check the road is clear and carry on...

I'm sure I'll think of more much needed advice soon so watch this space...
Old Jul 31st 2008, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

Oh yeah - and don't spend hours hunting around Sobeys (or any supermarket for that matter) for the beer and wine wondering where they're hiding the darn stuff.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

And don't turn your back on your BBQ for even an instant. The racoons will take off with your veggie burgers quicker than you can say knife. (And I'd hunted everywhere for those..)

And don't look aghast the first time you see someone wearing socks and sandals.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 7:08 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dinoffc
Oh yeah - and don't spend hours hunting around Sobeys (or any supermarket for that matter) for the beer and wine wondering where they're hiding the darn stuff.
( that wasn't us ............really!)
Old Jul 31st 2008, 9:51 pm
One Quarter Canadian

Hortons to go is an unknown quantity at this point

Buying cigarettes can be fun, i don't smoke but my OH does. As i was popping into a supermarket at Hubbards, she asked me to pick up a pack of cigs. I went to the counter with a pint eh well it was probably a litre of milk and asked the check out girl for 20 cigs. She said that i would have to go outside and come back in through the door directly behind her and someone will be there to serve me. Perplexed i did this only to find the same girl already there waiting for me. Oh yes and cigs come in packs of 25's.

Old Aug 1st 2008, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

And stop TOTALLY at a stop sign. Don't just slow down, check the road is clear and carry on...
Unless you live in Montreal, Quebec because I don't think I've ever seen anyone stop at a stop sign there!
Old Aug 1st 2008, 12:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hortons to go
Buying cigarettes can be fun
Round here a visitor will need to ask for cigarettes, they don't display them any more - same in MB. My father smokes a little (annoying git who can have 2 or 3 fags in the evening and leave it at that) and I had absolutely no idea where to take him to get some...
Old Aug 1st 2008, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

allicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant future
Talking Re: Useful info for your first visit, pass it on

DonĀ“t whatever you do go into a department store and ask for the hoover department, they are vacum cleaners or even a dyson but not a hoover.

That is something else entirely.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 12:41 am
Banned

irishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to allirishsamx is a name known to all

TIM HORTONS.......WE LOVE YOU!

NEVER PARK ON THE WRONG WAY UP A STREET, YOU WILL GET FINED

NEVER USE CHANGE IN PHONE BOX, WILL COST YOU AN ARM AND A LEG.

IF INTENDING TO TAKE CHILDREN OUT TO DINNER IN THE EVENING, IN A SOME LICENSED PREMISES, YOU MUST BE IN BEFORE 9PM AS YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED IN OTHERWISE.

NOT IMRESSED WITH "MURPHYS ON THE WATER" IN HALIFAX

DO KEEP THE SECRET!(how fantastic NS is)

OR EVERYONE WILL WANT TO LIVE THERE!!!
Old Aug 1st 2008, 1:07 am
One Quarter Canadian

Hortons to go is an unknown quantity at this point

For the best fish and chips in the world go to Murphys in Pictou!!!!

Originally Posted by irishsamx
TIM HORTONS.......WE LOVE YOU!

NEVER PARK ON THE WRONG WAY UP A STREET, YOU WILL GET FINED

NEVER USE CHANGE IN PHONE BOX, WILL COST YOU AN ARM AND A LEG.

IF INTENDING TO TAKE CHILDREN OUT TO DINNER IN THE EVENING, IN A SOME LICENSED PREMISES, YOU MUST BE IN BEFORE 9PM AS YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED IN OTHERWISE.

NOT IMRESSED WITH "MURPHYS ON THE WATER" IN HALIFAX

DO KEEP THE SECRET!(how fantastic NS is)

OR EVERYONE WILL WANT TO LIVE THERE!!!
Old Aug 1st 2008, 1:28 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

They have the occasional day around here where they enforce that for the sake of revenue generation, but generally a rolling stop is the norm, the pretence of stopping, even if the law says otherwise.

On the days when they are ticketing (one a year maybe?) if you miss the cruiser waiting nearby and dont make a full stop when its there, then maybe you deserve the ticket for not paying attention to what going on around you..
Old Aug 1st 2008, 3:31 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
I know that!! just wondered where - as we are having a mini be meet at mine tommorrow - I am picking Mandymoochops up from Gatwick at Silly Oclock tomoz morning!
We are near Worthing, staying at me mums .... flying back Sat 1.00 pm flight ftom Gatters to Calgary, so I guess you'll be out of the airport before we get there in the morning for the silly check-in time?!

Sorry, I'm not supposed to be spending too much time on here (anti-social) but I just popped on to check emails (cos apparently s'body wants me for a job interview!) and departure times. I see the flight to Vancouver this morning was moved to tomorrow!
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 1:55 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
We are near Worthing, staying at me mums .... flying back Sat 1.00 pm flight ftom Gatters to Calgary, so I guess you'll be out of the airport before we get there in the morning for the silly check-in time?!

Sorry, I'm not supposed to be spending too much time on here (anti-social) but I just popped on to check emails (cos apparently s'body wants me for a job interview!) and departure times. I see the flight to Vancouver this morning was moved to tomorrow!
hmm we missed each other!!

Yes zoom flights were all cocked up and delayed by 24hts - luckily MMC was on the Thomas Cook one!