Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK vs Canada vs US

UK vs Canada vs US

Old Jul 5th 2013, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

Aqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to all
Default Re: UK vs Canada vs US

And yes you need to obtain a new LMO even though you have a work permit as the permit is tied to your original employer........ Same process as before!
Old Jul 5th 2013, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Aqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to all

The new company would have had to apply for a new LMO but I waited the few months until my PR came through , a gamble I know but I had some time until my new job started (my choice)

I guessed that as I had paid the ROPR fee that the PR was not far behind
Old Jul 5th 2013, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

red_onion is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Aqua
The new company would have had to apply for a new LMO but I waited the few months until my PR came through , a gamble I know but I had some time until my new job started (my choice)

I guessed that as I had paid the ROPR fee that the PR was not far behind
You're brave mate but it paid off is there a restriction/set date when you can start the PR process from the time you get your TWP?
Old Jul 5th 2013, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Your best bet is to look at the CIC website for info as it may change, Mandymoochops is good at this stuff as is Christmasoompa!!
Old Jul 5th 2013, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

red_onion is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Aqua
Your best bet is to look at the CIC website for info as it may change, Mandymoochops is good at this stuff as is Christmasoompa!!
I will do. Thank you for that.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 1:49 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by red_onion
You're brave mate but it paid off is there a restriction/set date when you can start the PR process from the time you get your TWP?
This has become a very good information thread (although nothing much to do with your original question). Several home truths have been nicely aired about the limitations and inherent riskiness of the (normal) TWP route.

I'd hate to spoil thing by giving dodgy information here, but I don't think there's any waiting period between arriving on a TWP and applying for PR. I do think though that in many (if not most) cases you'll need a letter from your employer stating that your position is now (as far as they're concerned) open ended.

If I had ever gone through a TWP I would have made certain that the employer knew that PR was my longer term goal and insisted on a prior commitment that such a letter would be forthcoming. After all the letter isn't actually binding upon them.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

This is the way I went.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra.../apply-who.asp

Good luck
Old Jul 5th 2013, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

I agree with Novo (not Nova) get a letter as it does help the process........

Back on track to the original post , Canada is great..... The US is nice for a vacation!!

Last edited by Aqua; Jul 5th 2013 at 1:56 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 1:58 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by red_onion
Hi, I apologies in advance if this has been asked before. My background is as follows. I've been working in IT for over 12 yrs. I live in London and work for one of the big players in IT consultancy. Married with two kids, mortgage etc. I am on the verge of a job offer to join a similar company in Ontario. Learning from the good people of this forum it could take anything between 12 to 18 weeks to get LMO which the company don't mind waiting. My preference really is to immigrate to US and I have posted a few questions on the US section of this forum. Due to job market etc that is yet to materialise. My question I guess is living in Toronto better than London? If so in what aspect? Or do I just wait until I get an opportunity to relocate to US? Does being a Canadian PR/Citizen has any advantage in moving over to US long term? Does anyone has any regrets moving over from these shores? I guess these things are more of a personal experience/account than anything else but I take all advice.
Many thanks
They are all the same.

If you aren't happy on the inside you will not be happy on the outside.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siouxie
If they have PNP nomination and approval then they can get a work permit on the back of that - no LMO required - whilst PR is processing.
Can't they also apply for FSW and/or CEC?
Old Jul 5th 2013, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
But it requires a job offer doesn't it? So you're still at the mercy of the employer to some extent.

I'm not saying don't do it, I'm just saying be sure you want to do it and be prepared in case it falls apart.
I don't understand what the issue with the TWP is. Once you are there, you can stay until the end of the work permit, and if you have done one year, you can apply for CEC, or FSW no?
Old Jul 5th 2013, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JamesM
They are all the same.

If you aren't happy on the inside you will not be happy on the outside.
Great point.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

I found the CEC route faster as it only took 8 months start to finish, after reading other experiences on the FSW 2011 post the FSW and PNP seemed to take upto 3 years and I wanted to get it one ASAP
Old Jul 5th 2013, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Aqua - so you applied after 1 year of Canadian work experience? Is it true that once you get the CEC then you are effectively not dependent on the employer and your spouse can also work?
And Did you apply for PR after you got the CEC?
Old Jul 5th 2013, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

I waited the 12 months and then went the CEC route for PR, I found it faster!

If you stay with the employer then you have security but you can leave at any point, you have to be sure you can either afford to wait out the process or can find another employer to apply for a new LMO!

The reason I left my employment was because the company changed the deployment time onsite from upto 6 weeks to 10 weeks minimum with no consultation, I was unhappy with this and complained and got told simply I had no choice as I was on a TWP. I did my homework and the rest is history

My wife was able to work on an open work permit from the day we landed due to my occupation and NOC 0711

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.