Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK vs Canada vs US

UK vs Canada vs US

Old Jul 9th 2013, 12:26 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK vs Canada vs US

Originally Posted by red_onion
Hmmmm very strong views mate. I wonder if many people share your views or experience. Because things like what you describe could be a major factor in deciding whether to go for it or not.
Id say the move depends on your outlook, your province the job your going to do extra. There are a lot of factors and Canada will be like any new place, it will be like marmite you will either love it or hate.

For some people it works and some it does not. I think if your are determined to make the move you should give it a try. If it doesnt work out then the US and UK will still be there.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
I think an important thing to remember, wherever you end up, is that it won't be like home and you'll gain and lose. You have to do your homework and preferably visit each country at different times/seasons.

I've never lived in the USA but have visited it quite regularly in recent years (always New York state though) due to proximity to Ontario. I always come back to Canada feeling glad. It's somewhat irrational as both countries have a lot in common but overall Canada just feels "better" to me. In many ways Canada and the UK would be more similar than the US and UK.
Where in New York state? Anywhere beyond the Walden Galleria in Buffalo? Much of upstate New York doesn't have much going for it. Judging an entire country on one state (or part of one state) isn't going to give you an accurate assessment. I've split my adult life living and working in various parts of the UK, Canada and the US. The country that feels the most different out of the 3 is definitely the UK. Sure - I'd place Canada somewhere between the US and UK. That's only natural given that, for example, Canada's political, legal and healthcare systems are more like the UK's systems. But in terms of lifestyle and "look and feel", Canada is much more like the US than the UK in my opinion. So I would say Canada and the US are more similar to each other than either are to the UK.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 5:54 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yes, you can, it depends on the visa route.
No you can't, not in the situation he was in. He was in construction and at the time he wouldn't have qualified for SW1 because he wasn't in one of the narrow NOC categories nor SW2 because the quota was full. It's not like the guy was stupid, he had looked into his options.

People getting bogged down in being pedantic about the immigration system, the point I was making is that he was screwed over by his employer. Which certainly is possible.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 6:03 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm very strong views mate. I wonder if many people share your views or experience. Because things like what you describe could be a major factor in deciding whether to go for it or not.
I don't necessarily disagree with what he said, but he sounds very career orientated. Yes Canada can be dull, but dull is underrated imo. Dull often indicates that the place hasn't got any overt problems. Just look at the banking crisis, Canada's banking system was old-fashioned but that turned out to be a positive.

One thing I've said on here many times and I've had people say it to me many times is that the job situation in Canada is more "settled", i.e. they want immigrants and employers need immigrants but there's a middle tier of unions and professional associations who make life difficult for immigrants because they don't want their cart upended. Do a search of the web, you'll find loads of stories like that. Not recognizing foreign qualifications for spurious reasons or telling people to learn Canadian "best practice" even though it is inferior to where you came from, etc.

It's especially idiotic in IT fields. Okay yes there are differences, e.g. privacy laws but it's not that huge of a deal.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 6:13 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
FWIW, Canada has not destroyed my career, it is however rife, rife I tell you, with immigrants. These immigrants do typically have older relatives who are not in Canada. And, you know what, so do I!
me too, OMG, twinsies!
Old Jul 9th 2013, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
I don't necessarily disagree with what he said, but he sounds very career orientated. Yes Canada can be dull, but dull is underrated imo. Dull often indicates that the place hasn't got any overt problems. Just look at the banking crisis, Canada's banking system was old-fashioned but that turned out to be a positive.

One thing I've said on here many times and I've had people say it to me many times is that the job situation in Canada is more "settled", i.e. they want immigrants and employers need immigrants but there's a middle tier of unions and professional associations who make life difficult for immigrants because they don't want their cart upended. Do a search of the web, you'll find loads of stories like that. Not recognizing foreign qualifications for spurious reasons or telling people to learn Canadian "best practice" even though it is inferior to where you came from, etc.

It's especially idiotic in IT fields. Okay yes there are differences, e.g. privacy laws but it's not that huge of a deal.
I wouldn't say that Canada's banking system was "old-fashioned". I'd say it was stable, solid and well-regulated against some pretty modern and stupid practices. Canada's banking system is regarded by many as the best in the world. There's a reason that the previous Governor of the Bank of Canada is now the current Governor of the Bank of England (the first foreigner to be appointed to that job).
Old Jul 9th 2013, 6:22 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Where in New York state? Anywhere beyond the Walden Galleria in Buffalo? Much of upstate New York doesn't have much going for it. Judging an entire country on one state (or part of one state) isn't going to give you an accurate assessment. I've split my adult life living and working in various parts of the UK, Canada and the US. The country that feels the most different out of the 3 is definitely the UK. Sure - I'd place Canada somewhere between the US and UK. That's only natural given that, for example, Canada's political, legal and healthcare systems are more like the UK's systems. But in terms of lifestyle and "look and feel", Canada is much more like the US than the UK in my opinion. So I would say Canada and the US are more similar to each other than either are to the UK.
Been to Buffalo and NYC and numerous places in between.

As a whole Canada is closer to the UK than US for me. Except Quebec...it's a weird place.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 6:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I apologies in advance if this has been asked before. My background is as follows. I've been working in IT for over 12 yrs. I live in London and work for one of the big players in IT consultancy. Married with two kids, mortgage etc. I am on the verge of a job offer to join a similar company in Ontario. Learning from the good people of this forum it could take anything between 12 to 18 weeks to get LMO which the company don't mind waiting. My preference really is to immigrate to US and I have posted a few questions on the US section of this forum. Due to job market etc that is yet to materialise. My question I guess is living in Toronto better than London? If so in what aspect? Or do I just wait until I get an opportunity to relocate to US? Does being a Canadian PR/Citizen has any advantage in moving over to US long term? Does anyone has any regrets moving over from these shores? I guess these things are more of a personal experience/account than anything else but I take all advice.
Many thanks
My husband was an IT partner with one of the big 4...he transferred to the US because he had the opportunity to do so. He has now taken early retirement and we would love to return to the UK...but are settling for Toronto for family reasons. We are now UK and US citizens...neither helps us to move to Canada.

We came to the US for a year or two...but somehow we got sucked into things and are still here 17 years later. Most days we wished we'd stayed in the UK.

In the US there is no NHS, no employees' rights, the banking system is like stepping back into the dark ages, it is very superficial, I hate US politics more every day, I hate how the US interferes with the politics of other countries, I hate how everything in the US has religion undertones, I hate the right to own firearms...I could go on....
Old Jul 9th 2013, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My husband was an IT partner with one of the big 4...he transferred to the US because he had the opportunity to do so. He has now taken early retirement and we would love to return to the UK...but are settling for Toronto for family reasons. We are now UK and US citizens...neither helps us to move to Canada.
Maybe doesn't help you but USC's can take advantage of NAFTA.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/special-business.asp

Many Canadians have used it to go the other way and start on the path to PR and US citizenship.

We came to the US for a year or two...but somehow we got sucked into things and are still here 17 years later. Most days we wished we'd stayed in the UK.

In the US there is no NHS, no employees' rights, the banking system is like stepping back into the dark ages, it is very superficial, I hate US politics more every day, I hate how the US interferes with the politics of other countries, I hate how everything in the US has religion undertones, I hate the right to own firearms...I could go on....
The health insurance system is a disaster....no doubt about that.

Banks are annoying everywhere...not just in the US.

The US political system is just sickening at the moment. Just total partisan gridlock. We can't even get increased background checks after what happened at Newtown.

The UK has interfered in the politics of many countries too over the years.

I hate the religious undertones in the US. The sickening thing is that the people who use it as a weapon aren't really religious at all...they are just twisting it for their own ends. However, religion is also an issue in the UK and "God Save The Queen" is the national anthem.

The whole gun thing is a sick joke. I have no idea how the 2nd amendment can be used to allow people to own automatic and semi-automatic weapons capable of killing many people in a short space of time.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 7:21 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

The US political system is just sickening at the moment. Just total partisan gridlock. We can't even get increased background checks after what happened at Newtown.

I hate the religious undertones in the US. The sickening thing is that the people who use it as a weapon aren't really religious at all...they are just twisting it for their own ends. However, religion is also an issue in the UK and "God Save The Queen" is the national anthem.

The whole gun thing is a sick joke. I have no idea how the 2nd amendment can be used to allow people to own automatic and semi-automatic weapons capable of killing many people in a short space of time.
Interested to know how this balances with your assessment of the US and Canada being more similar?
Old Jul 9th 2013, 7:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe doesn't help you but USC's can take advantage of NAFTA.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/special-business.asp

Many Canadians have used it to go the other way and start on the path to PR and US citizenship.

Religion is a problem in Canada too. In rural areas very many people attend churches and in urban areas significant numbers attend mosques or temples. The Prime Minister is an admitted religionist.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 7:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

It seems every time a US politician is on TV or makes a speech...god comes into it somewhere. Same with many TV political analysts and interviewers. Don't get me started about how politically biased TV journalists are and they give their opinions on TV.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 7:39 pm
The ride never ends

It seems every time a US politician is on TV or makes a speech...god comes into it somewhere. Same with many TV political analysts and interviewers. Don't get me started about how politically biased TV journalists are and they give their opinions on TV.
Or race. Look at how Zimmerman is being treated when it would appear, based on the evidence, he did nothing against the law.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 7:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by orly
Or race. Look at how Zimmerman is being treated when it would appear, based on the evidence, he did nothing against the law.

High profile court cases seem to be a game played by the lawyers on TV. By the time it gets to trial almost everyone and his dog has already formed an opinion...how can the jury be unbiased?
Old Jul 9th 2013, 7:50 pm
The ride never ends

High profile court cases seem to be a game played by the lawyers on TV. By the time it gets to trial almost everyone and his dog has already formed an opinion...how can the jury be unbiased?
The lawyers are expected to be like that depending on who they are representing.

The CNN coverage of the trial, though, has been little short of a disgrace. As a somewhat interested outsider it appeared to be heavily biased. Almost becoming a witch hunt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.