Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK vs Canada vs US

UK vs Canada vs US

Old Jul 9th 2013, 7:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK vs Canada vs US

Originally Posted by orly
Or race. Look at how Zimmerman is being treated when it would appear, based on the evidence, he did nothing against the law.
It's a strange kind of law that lets you chase down someone for being black on your lawn, while the emergency service dispatcher tells you not to, and to kill them.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 7:55 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's a strange kind of law that lets you chase down someone for being black on your lawn, while the emergency service dispatcher tells you not to, and to kill them.
"chase down".

Obviously you've only watched CNN lol.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 7:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

"chase down".

Obviously you've only watched CNN lol.
I don't have a television. Last time I did CNN was the station of the frothing loon ground standers so, if even they don't side with Zimmerman, there's little hope for him.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 7:59 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have a television.
You do have an internet connection though which is the only requirement.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Interested to know how this balances with your assessment of the US and Canada being more similar?
As I said I think day to day life is more similar in Canada and the US. There are many more things that are similar than dissimilar IMO. Yes, many of the institutions in Canada (political, legal, healthcare) are based on the UK systems but I think similar lifestyles and "look and feel" makes Canada and the US much more similar to each other than to the UK.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 9:57 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
As I said I think day to day life is more similar in Canada and the US. There are many more things that are similar than dissimilar IMO. Yes, many of the institutions in Canada (political, legal, healthcare) are based on the UK systems but I think similar lifestyles and "look and feel" makes Canada and the US much more similar to each other than to the UK.
I've no argument with that. I did it in a different order than you I think. UK>US>CA. I agree that when I got to Canada the first time (1982) it felt like a halfway house between the other two.

But that was 1982, I've no idea how it would feel now. UK has changed in ways that are US biased, Canada has changed in ways that are unfathomable to me (since 2006), the US has become a pariah in the eyes of most foreigners.

It's a bit tricky.

On balance, I think the OP (if he's still listening) should stay put. Or try China.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 10:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

The lawyers are expected to be like that depending on who they are representing.

The CNN coverage of the trial, though, has been little short of a disgrace. As a somewhat interested outsider it appeared to be heavily biased. Almost becoming a witch hunt.
No they are not. You will very rarely see lawyers giving interviews to the media prior to or during a Trial in the UK. They may do after the Trial, but that would be the exception rather than the rule.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Strange or not, it is the law, although I believe both Zimmerman's and the State's lawyers spin it very differently to the way you did
Old Jul 9th 2013, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

You got that right. This guy was just too eager to play the role of cop. Except he went quite a bit further and played judge, jury and executioner as well.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 10:58 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
...when I got to Canada the first time (1982) it felt like a halfway house between the other two.
Or "America Lite" as Homer (I think) called it.

Simpson that is.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 11:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You got that right. This guy was just too eager to play the role of cop. Except he went quite a bit further and played judge, jury and executioner as well.
I thought he said the deceased was attacking him and, if so, he did what the law allegedly permits him to.

I didn't hear too many eye witnesses giving contradictory evidence. Of course that's not as sexy as black guy shot by slightly less black guy.

I thought the general consensus is that he will be acquitted.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 11:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Strange or not, it is the law
In Florida. In most States he'd fall foul of the need for the householder to use only reasonable force.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 12:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

In Florida. In most States he'd fall foul of the need for the householder to use only reasonable force.
Where did this happen?
Old Jul 10th 2013, 1:15 am
The ride never ends

Agreed.

I do like seeing the Queen on the money though. Provides continuity. Not sure if it'll the same with Charles lol
Old Jul 10th 2013, 1:20 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Where did this happen?
It happened in Florida, that's why he's in with a chance, not of a "stand your ground defence" as that doesn't allow pursuit, but in with a chance of claiming that having followed someone with a gun and apparent intent to kill him, a subsequent tussle was "self defense". That wouldn't fly in Norfolk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.