Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK trained Nurse

UK trained Nurse

Old Jul 14th 2023, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

Airborne_Dan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK trained Nurse

I’m in the process of gaining registration with CARNA as Alberta have gone much further than BC to removing barriers for IENs. I started the process with them a month ago and I’m only waiting on them reviewing my NMC registration which I arranged to be sent. Once that’s done I should get my provisional license and my ATT for NCLEX.
Old Jul 14th 2023, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

ibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the rough

Good for you. Which city in Alberta are you planing to go to work?
Old Jul 14th 2023, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ibbye13
Good for you. Which city in Alberta are you planing to go to work?
Cheers, we want to go to Calgary but I’ve been warned by someone from AHS recruitment that the cities are highly sort after so I’d have to be prepared to submit multiple applications to have a chance of getting an interview.
Old Jul 14th 2023, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

ibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the rough

Its true but usually most of the wards - called units here will take you as casual - get paid whenever you work - no holiday or sick benefit and eventually when a position or line comes up then you can apply. Patience is the key. Long term care homes are always looking for nurses - the young nurses tend to run away from it. Nurses are always in demand - just need to apply on every unit starting with your speciality.
Old Jul 14th 2023, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

Its true but usually most of the wards - called units here will take you as casual - get paid whenever you work - no holiday or sick benefit and eventually when a position or line comes up then you can apply. Patience is the key. Long term care homes are always looking for nurses - the young nurses tend to run away from it. Nurses are always in demand - just need to apply on every unit starting with your speciality.
Cheers mate. Has it worked out well for you and your missus ou there?
Old Jul 14th 2023, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

Its been 14 years now. It was hard the first year cos our salary was far less than the UK. We started at the bottom of the payscale then and the exam was held 3 times a year at the time so until you passed them your pay remains very low. Our experience in the UK help us to reach the maximum houry pay when we passed the exam. Wife was a nurse practitioner and I was a charge nurse grade F. Both of us had a least 20years experience each in London.
Old Aug 5th 2023, 8:14 am
Just Joined

jamesandcol is an unknown quantity at this point

We were also at the roadshow in Feb. (Wife is a Nurse in UK & I am a Data analyst & developer)

We were at the initial stage, we hadnt applied for anything at all.

Here is where we are at now. and the steps we took, may be useful to OP.

- Contacted Health match via website and asked for a step by step guide on the process.
In March we started applications

Applied to BCCNM (ongoing)
Applied to NCAS (Ongoing)

Once you reach out to health match they will send you a "return of service form", this is basically a promise that you will work for BC in a nusring capacity for 12 months in return of 99% of fees being waivered.

we have pretty much completed all steps within 4 weeks (credentials were assesed by WES (you have to pay for this but are reimbursed when you move) as they were by far the cheapest institution. this took around a week to be completed.

you need to get your current and last 5 years worth of practice hours documented by your employer and sent to BCCNM. you also need to send proof of registration with NMC to BCCNM (NMC will send you a link to do this online)

this is where we got held up ------- so the timeframe here is skewed because of where we live. you need to get 2 pieces of ID notarised by a lawyer or notary public. we really struggled to find one in our area and have just got this completed now (plus kids birthdays etc delayed us)

now we are waiting for BCCNM to accept our application (we are assured this will take around 14 days) after which my wife can apply for provisional registration and we can move. (she will need to sit the NCLEX within a year but we are able to go and work before this.

All in all, without the delays due to circumstance this process would have taken 3 months so far, and we are almost at the finish line

Old Aug 7th 2023, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

mogscat has a reputation beyond reputemogscat has a reputation beyond reputemogscat has a reputation beyond reputemogscat has a reputation beyond reputemogscat has a reputation beyond reputemogscat has a reputation beyond reputemogscat has a reputation beyond reputemogscat has a reputation beyond reputemogscat has a reputation beyond reputemogscat has a reputation beyond reputemogscat has a reputation beyond repute

New Brunswick have sped up the process for UK nurses and it can now take as little as 14 days. Including here for any nurses considering other areas of Canada.
Old Aug 8th 2023, 12:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Most people will need a job offer to get a visa, so that would require working in one full-time job rather than being able to move around and go where demand is. But great advice for anybody with enough points to get PR without a job offer though.