Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK trained Nurse

UK trained Nurse

Old May 31st 2023, 11:56 am
Just Joined

AirborneDan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK trained Nurse

Hi everyone, I am looking at moving to BC Canada. I have been practicing for around 20 years and have a bsc degree. I am 47. On the BC Nurses Union it states the hourly rate is around $CAD 55 per hour if you have over 15 years experience. Is this accurate or would I only receive entry level rate as I am from abroad?
Many thanks
Old Jun 2nd 2023, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK trained Nurse

It varies depending if the employer acknowledges your experience. Most do but it’s not guaranteed
Old Jun 2nd 2023, 8:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
It varies depending if the employer acknowledges your experience. Most do but it’s not guaranteed

thanks for the info Silverdragon, much appreciated
Old Jun 3rd 2023, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

mdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AirborneDan
Hi everyone, I am looking at moving to BC Canada. I have been practicing for around 20 years and have a bsc degree. I am 47. On the BC Nurses Union it states the hourly rate is around $CAD 55 per hour if you have over 15 years experience. Is this accurate or would I only receive entry level rate as I am from abroad?
Many thanks
As the previous poster advises, they do recognise some of your experience, but it it’s unlikely they’ll recognise all of it. For my Wife, they said as a guide, expect at least 50% of your experience, but not the full lot.
Old Jun 5th 2023, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mdonald1987
As the previous poster advises, they do recognise some of your experience, but it it’s unlikely they’ll recognise all of it. For my Wife, they said as a guide, expect at least 50% of your experience, but not the full lot.
Thanks for your replies mate
Old Jun 5th 2023, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I was lucky as all my years experience was accepted
Old Jun 7th 2023, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

I’ve sent off an application to both NCAS and HealthMatchBC but not heard anything back. Is there any way they can be chased and is there anything I can do in the meantime? Thanks
Old Jun 7th 2023, 6:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I’ve sent off an application to both NCAS and HealthMatchBC but not heard anything back. Is there any way they can be chased and is there anything I can do in the meantime? Thanks
How long ago did you apply? It can take years to go through the process so if it was recently then there’s not a lot you can do other than wait unfortunately.
Old Jun 7th 2023, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
How long ago did you apply? It can take years to go through the process so if it was recently then there’s not a lot you can do other than wait unfortunately.
It was about 2 weeks ago. I originally started the process with CRNBC 11 years ago and was told I had to do a 2 day SEC on General Nursing but I have since topped up to degree level and have heard that the process is becoming more streamlined to respond to the nursing shortage.
Old Jun 7th 2023, 6:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

It was about 2 weeks ago. I originally started the process with CRNBC 11 years ago and was told I had to do a 2 day SEC on General Nursing but I have since topped up to degree level and have heard that the process is becoming more streamlined to respond to the nursing shortage.
Would be lovely if it was, I don’t think I’ve ever heard of it taking less than 2 years which is ridiculous. Here’s a post from a forum member whose wife took 3 years to get licensed. And she’s a Canadian citizen that had worked in Canada as a nurse before. UK Nurse trying to get to canada

And here’s the most recent one I can find, from a forum member that completed the process in April. He started it in Jan 2021, so 2 hrs 4 months. Nurse looking to relocate from uk to canada

So let’s hope they do speed things up considerably.

Best of luck with it.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 7th 2023 at 6:54 pm.
Old Jun 7th 2023, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Would be lovely if it was, I don’t think I’ve ever heard of it taking less than 2 years which is ridiculous. Here’s a post from a forum member whose wife took 3 years to get licensed. And she’s a Canadian citizen that had worked in Canada as a nurse before. UK Nurse trying to get to canada

And here’s the most recent one I can find, from a forum member that completed the process in April. He started it in Jan 2021, so 2 hrs 4 months. Nurse looking to relocate from uk to canada

So let’s hope they do speed things up considerably.

Best of luck with it.
thanks Christmas

Old Jun 12th 2023, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

mdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond repute

At the start of this year, the BC Government have streamlined the whole process, and now the average time it is taking is approx. 6 months. Here's some info -https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2023HLTH0001-000013

When we met with HealthMatch (BC government in essence) this February in Manchester, they said that if you were UK-trained, it is unlikely that you will be required to even do the NCAS assessments. If you log-in to your HealthMatch account, there is a messaging facility to contact them on. It does take 1-2 weeks for them to get back to you, but they always do.

Don't forget to apply for the bursary etc. HealthMatch will support you with this, but they have completely wiped a lot of fees involved.
Old Jun 12th 2023, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Airborne_Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

That’s very interesting, thanks. I might apply to Alberta and BC to hedge my bets.
Old Jun 12th 2023, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

Do you know your route of entry to Alberta? The last time I looked, nurses were not 'in demand' and the only option would be Express Entry. Whereas BC has the PNP option, which HealthMatch support you through.
Old Jul 14th 2023, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

ibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the rough

Do you know your route of entry to Alberta? The last time I looked, nurses were not 'in demand' and the only option would be Express Entry. Whereas BC has the PNP option, which HealthMatch support you through.
Hey I think there is something in progress in Alberta as my wife is among those who are advocating an express way to get international nurses accepted here. We were both nurses from London, UK. Currently there are plenty of Registered nurses working as health care assistants or unit clerks or as Licenced Practical Nurse. I know some international doctors working as LPN or RN. They just need to take the NCLEX to become RN here in Alberta. There is a shortage of nurses all over Canada. The killer thing was that the provinces were very slow in processing/checking credentials of international nurses but now it is being expedited now here. Not sure where to look to get entry here in Alberta . I suggest to check the CRNA (College of Registered Nurses of Alberta) website to get your credential checked and eligibility to take the NCLEX exam. Good luck as the process takes time and hopefully should be faster now compared when I applied in 2009.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.