Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

looking for some east coast advice

looking for some east coast advice

Old Jul 5th 2023, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

I am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond repute
Default looking for some east coast advice

It is about that time of the decade again, where I muse over returning to Canada. This time, it is prompted by thinking it really must be time to step off the corporate hamster wheel, buy a lawn chair and start shouting at passing students. I live in Oxford, lovely place and all, but my, it is crowded. So perhaps I can lever my financial genius at stumbling into the SE England property market at a time dictated by when I was born, put down the laptop, and relocate.

After much discussion with my [British] wife, this week’s choices are to stay in Oxford, move to Devon/Cornwall [her family are in those two places] or consider west coast of Ireland and – long shot – east coast of Canada. Most of what I know about east coast living, I have learned on this forum. My only real visits to that part of the county were to Goose Bay when a brother was posted there. One memorable trip, we went backpacking over my birthday, then woke up with a foot of snow pressing the tent into our faces. My birthday is in June.

So, all that preamble is to say this might be just daydreaming, but I would welcome some insight from those who have the time and inclination to give their thoughts. An absolute key criterion is being near the sea. We also like mountains, outdoors, coffee, a decent community and high quality broadband. We would like to be within two hours of an international airport capable of getting us back to the UK. We do not like crowds and noise and traffic jams, curtain twitchers, or to live near those who think Boris has been unfairly maligned and deserves to be restored to his rightful place as the leader of the country. We are not quite of the Totnes or Brighton persuasion [including hair styles and piercings], but definitely closer to that then Kensington. For the outdoors life, think Canmore, but by the sea. I do not expect to need to find work.

Any thoughts on towns that might fit that bill? I suspect Halifax is too big and crowded to justify moving there.
Old Jul 5th 2023, 7:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: looking for some east coast advice

If you want to avoid crowds better stay away from Halifax and move out further. Still have a cousin there and it's a fast growing city, so while you might have peace today, it could be very different story in a few years with all the development going on. I'm in the West of Ireland myself (Co. Galway a bit further inland) but even here the population is increasing too much for my liking in parts. These days I have been looking at smaller lakes and properties further out near the coast but prices have increased a lot and not much for sale. When getting older one has to also consider other things, so maybe Devon/Cornwall is a good option. What about Pembrokeshire, only really busy for 3 months of the year? Properties like this selling fast now and nearly half a million https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-canfee-tuosist-kenmare-co-kerry/5301045

Last edited by Moses2013; Jul 5th 2023 at 7:45 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2023, 9:15 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by I am I said
It is about that time of the decade again, where I muse over returning to Canada. This time, it is prompted by thinking it really must be time to step off the corporate hamster wheel, buy a lawn chair and start shouting at passing students. ..... I do not expect to need to find work. ....
What is your eligibility to live (and potentially work) in Canada?

Are you planning to retire and/ or live off investments, or would you consider work if that was a means to the "end", of living in Canada?

And if working is an acceptable price to pay for living in Canada, have you investigated your occupation as a basis for supporting a visa? If you need a visa bases on work/ employment, age would also be a factor.
Old Jul 5th 2023, 10:39 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
What is your eligibility to live (and potentially work) in Canada?

Are you planning to retire and/ or live off investments, or would you consider work if that was a means to the "end", of living in Canada?

And if working is an acceptable price to pay for living in Canada, have you investigated your occupation as a basis for supporting a visa? If you need a visa bases on work/ employment, age would also be a factor.
I am I said has previously confessed to being a Canadian.
Old Jul 6th 2023, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

I am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I am I said has previously confessed to being a Canadian.
I was acting on the advice of my therapist.

I am not expecting to need to work, this is a retirement decision.

I am looking for recommendations of towns or areas to visit on a recce tour. I have already scratched Goose Bay off the list.

Old Jul 6th 2023, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Moses2013
If you want to avoid crowds better stay away from Halifax and move out further. Still have a cousin there and it's a fast growing city, so while you might have peace today, it could be very different story in a few years with all the development going on. I'm in the West of Ireland myself (Co. Galway a bit further inland) but even here the population is increasing too much for my liking in parts. These days I have been looking at smaller lakes and properties further out near the coast but prices have increased a lot and not much for sale. When getting older one has to also consider other things, so maybe Devon/Cornwall is a good option. What about Pembrokeshire, only really busy for 3 months of the year? Properties like this selling fast now and nearly half a million https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detache...-kerry/5301045
thanks for the insights, and Pembrokeshire is worth thinking about as well.
Old Jul 7th 2023, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

Might be worth looking at Cape Breton, although the drive to the international airport would be longer than 2 hours. I think up around Sydney may have the natural attributes you are looking for, and I hear that Sydney area is starting to do well. An alternative may be South Shore, although it is pricey and a bit cliquey, so I am told, or the Annapolis Royal area.
Old Jul 11th 2023, 11:22 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tumbling_Dice
Might be worth looking at Cape Breton, although the drive to the international airport would be longer than 2 hours. I think up around Sydney may have the natural attributes you are looking for, and I hear that Sydney area is starting to do well. An alternative may be South Shore, although it is pricey and a bit cliquey, so I am told, or the Annapolis Royal area.
I dont want to be parroting ontheboatout but wouldn't the north shore tick More.of.OP boxes ?

Old Jul 12th 2023, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Flogger
I dont want to be parroting ontheboatout but wouldn't the north shore tick More.of.OP boxes ?
thanks both, and does north shore mean North Sydney?

Early recon trip to west Cork went well. None of the promised wind and rain showed up! [except in the middle of the night]
Old Jul 12th 2023, 11:04 am
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Early recon trip to west Cork went well. None of the promised wind and rain showed up! [except in the middle of the night]
along the Northumberland straight. from say Pugwash to Antigonsh. its probably a 150k stretch . fairly quite , used to be cheaper all though I have no idea if thats still the case . I would not want to be moving there if I needed a job , which I see you don't.
Antigonish itself has more going on than the rest as it is a university town . probably more expensive though and right on the max for 2 hours to the airport .
Old Jul 12th 2023, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for the insights.
Old Jul 12th 2023, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you enjoyed West Cork, weather a bit hit and miss at the moment but at least that keeps the crowds away. Planned to drive down to Cork area this week as I'm off, but didn't manage. Still turned out to be Ok where we are in Co. Galway and this was around an hour away from us (taken yesterday).

Last edited by Moses2013; Jul 12th 2023 at 5:38 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2023, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

mogscat has a reputation beyond reputemogscat has a reputation beyond reputemogscat has a reputation beyond reputemogscat has a reputation beyond reputemogscat has a reputation beyond reputemogscat has a reputation beyond reputemogscat has a reputation beyond reputemogscat has a reputation beyond reputemogscat has a reputation beyond reputemogscat has a reputation beyond reputemogscat has a reputation beyond repute

Fredericton is within 2 hrs of Halifax/Toronto international airports if you fly from our ‘international’ airport, and similar travel time to various beaches. We have two man made beaches on the city outskirts at Killarney Lake and Mactaquac park, and a stunningly beautiful river. It’s a university city with some 12,000+uni students and various free lectures and cultural events if you want to maintain a link to the academic world. Housing much cheaper than Halifax, and many nice residential areas. In my experience, friendly neighbours but not curtain-twitchers. Lots of retirees. No one gives a wet slap about Boris but if you miss the UK there are plenty of people who maintain Scottish culture and there’s an annual Highland Games. For Irish connections, try the Miramichi, Irish capital of Canada. The downside, as with all Atlantic Canada, is poor access to healthcare and virtually non-existant public transit. After Oxford, you might find it insular and parochial. There are many interesting and well-travelled people but you have to make a concerted effort, in newcomer circles, to find them.
Old Aug 12th 2023, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

...east coast of Canada..
We would like to be within two hours of an international airport capable of getting us back to the UK.
Any thoughts on towns that might fit that bill? I suspect Halifax is too big and crowded to justify moving there.
Isn't Halifax (or somewhere nearby) the only town that fits the bill?