Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK passports renewal (while in canada)

UK passports renewal (while in canada)

Old Mar 16th 2022, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Ironbruu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK passports renewal (while in canada)

Hi Folks, Renewing my British passport online. Shocked to see we need to send our Canadian passports too??! Anyone else also renewed UK passport while in Canada? If so did you send your Canadian passport and the old UK one?
Also my old one doesn't expire until July so not sure what effect his has on the online workflow,

thanks,
Ironb.
Old Mar 16th 2022, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK passports renewal (while in canada)

I renewed my passport whilst in Canada and yes I sent them my old one.

You get it back with the corner cut off, along with (in a separate shipment) the shiny new passport. No issues with the process, super easy and efficient.

Canadian passport was left untouched.
Old Mar 16th 2022, 4:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I am not Canadian, I have UK and US PPs. When I renewed my UK PP I sent photocopies of my US PP, as have many other BE members. Just send a copy of the photo ID page of your Can. PP. You must send your UK PP back. It will be returned with the corner cut off, so it cannot be used.
Old Mar 16th 2022, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ArthurBrit
I renewed my passport whilst in Canada and yes I sent them my old one.

You get it back with the corner cut off, along with (in a separate shipment) the shiny new passport. No issues with the process, super easy and efficient.

Canadian passport was left untouched.
So you sent your Canadian passport aswell as the old uk one you were renewing ?
Old Mar 16th 2022, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Sunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond repute

Out of interest, do you have to send it back to the UK to be renewed or somewhere in Canada? Thanks
Old Mar 16th 2022, 7:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunnybrae
Out of interest, do you have to send it back to the UK to be renewed or somewhere in Canada? Thanks
New Jersey, innit?
Old Mar 16th 2022, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ironbruu
So you sent your Canadian passport aswell as the old uk one you were renewing ?
oh, you sent your passport to a uk office in canada for passport renewal ? Or you mean you sent it via courier to uk whilst you were physically in canada. Sorry for noob spreken
Old Mar 16th 2022, 8:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I sent mine from Toronto to the UK via UPS. Received new PP within 7 days pre COVID
Old Mar 17th 2022, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

Kingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond repute

I applied to renew mu UK passport on in January and sent in my expired UK passport, the system showed it arrived in the UK system in about two weeks. I uploaded a digital passport photo from Shoppers drug Mart - about $30 but think it was worth it as the picture was approved as soon as I uploaded it. I then was asked to submit my (current/valid) Canadian passport. I mailed the Canadian passport on 11 Feb (not tracked, just regular mail for about $6). My Canadian passport has NOT yet arrived or been logged into the UK system. I called the UK passport office last Monday and they say they are very busy (for a change) and it seems some staff have been redeployed to help with other urgent matters (Ukraine refugees?). I was told that it may take another couple of weeks to show my Canadian passport has arrived there. Very frustrating, I almost wish I'd photocopied the Canadian passport and sent that but didn't want to colour copy all those pages....
Old Mar 17th 2022, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

Kingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond repute

UK passports now have to be applied for from the UK, so I'm sure he sent it to the UK. :-(
Old Mar 17th 2022, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kingsboy48
UK passports now have to be applied for from the UK, so I'm sure he sent it to the UK. :-(
Yup that’s the risk I was thinking of about sending a Canadian passport to uk. Way to scary.
so hang on . Did you say your living in uk or canada ? I’m going to say I’m living in uk (which I more less am) but I’m going to mail it to uk passport office from toronto with a photo copy of my Canada PP (or I may just send it to my folks in uk & then ship it via Royal Mail) . I’m then Gona have it shipped to my uk address and then courier to TO. Is that a good way of doing it ?

Last edited by Ironbruu; Mar 17th 2022 at 3:19 am.
Old Mar 17th 2022, 3:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

so hang on . Did you say your living in uk or canada ? I’m going to say I’m living in uk but I’m going to mail it to uk passport office from toronto with a photo copy of my Canada PP (or I may just send it to my folks in uk and then ship it via Royal Mail . I’m then Gona have it shipped to my uk address and then courier to TO. Is that a good way of doing it ?
I wouldn’t do that, the less couriers used the less chance of loss. Plus it will be much quicker to courier direct to the UK then back to TO. Why would you say you are living in the UK when you are not? Not sure if that question is asked when renewing your PP, but if it is you would be giving false info on a government document.
Old Mar 17th 2022, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah apologies for the delay, I sent my Canadian and UK passport back to the UK office described in the application (If I recall correctly they only provide the address after you pay) I mailed the passport using registered mail. The process was pre-COVID as mentioned above but took about a week.

I just did new passports for both my children and the process would have taken 3 weeks, had I not screwed up on the application in the end it was about 6 weeks, as I needed to provide my parents (their grandparents) birth certificates (and marriage certificate) as well.
Old Mar 17th 2022, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

Yup that’s the risk I was thinking of about sending a Canadian passport to uk. Way to scary.
so hang on . Did you say your living in uk or canada ? I’m going to say I’m living in uk (which I more less am) but I’m going to mail it to uk passport office from toronto with a photo copy of my Canada PP (or I may just send it to my folks in uk & then ship it via Royal Mail) . I’m then Gona have it shipped to my uk address and then courier to TO. Is that a good way of doing it ?
As Jerseygirl says I think sending from Canada to UK then to passport office seems a strange way to go, way too complicated. and giving false info about where you live is not a good idea. I'm not sure that using a courier is necessary unless they guarantee getting your documents where they need to be quicker than Canada Post. If I did it again I would use Canada Post but track the package.
Old Mar 18th 2022, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

as I needed to provide my parents (their grandparents) birth certificates (and marriage certificate) as well.

woah?! Say what ?!! Why would they ask that ?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.