Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK passports renewal (while in canada)

UK passports renewal (while in canada)

Old Mar 18th 2022, 3:06 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK passports renewal (while in canada)

Originally Posted by Ironbruu
Hi Folks, Renewing my British passport online. Shocked to see we need to send our Canadian passports too??! Anyone else also renewed UK passport while in Canada? If so did you send your Canadian passport and the old UK one?
Also my old one doesn't expire until July so not sure what effect his has on the online workflow,

thanks,
Ironb.
Are you sure you need to send the physical Canadian passport? Granted this was back in 2020, but I renewed by UK Passport and simply photocopied all pages of my Canadian passport - I have a feeling the instructions on the renewal page mentioned this was a step to take - maybe it's changed since 2020 and you need to send the physical passport?

edited to add: I had a quick search of my email and it seems like I grabbed a copy of the "What you need to send" page when I was going through the process (it seems like you can only get to that page once you have uploaded a photo. Seems silly they don't allow you to see all the steps you might need to take before you start the process)Here is an older thread from when I was doing the renewal, so could be useful information there too: How to: renew your UK passport from Canada

What you need to send

You must send original documents, unless we ask for a photocopy. Your application will be delayed if you don’t send everything we need.

Applicant’s documents

Send the following:
  • old passport
  • full colour copy (every page including blank pages) of any current or expired passports from other countries that haven’t been cancelled
If any of the following apply, you need to send additional documents:
  • include a professional, or other title on your passport
  • apply for a British National Overseas (BNO) passport
  • apply for a British Protected Person passport
  • change your gender on your passport
  • renew a passport that was issued for 1 year or less
  • change British nationality status in your passport to British citizen

My documents aren’t in English or Welsh

Last edited by sharkus; Mar 18th 2022 at 3:14 am.
Old Mar 18th 2022, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

Ironbruu is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks. Yup copies it is
Old Mar 22nd 2022, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute

woah?! Say what ?!! Why would they ask that ?!
Something along the lines of...If you were born in or after 1983 you cannot pass down British citizenship unless there are 2 generations passing the status down. Honestly I'm not sure on the exact and complete ruling but I (a born and bred Brit) could not pass the citizenship down without proof of my parents British status.
Old Mar 22nd 2022, 7:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Yup that’s the risk I was thinking of about sending a Canadian passport to uk. Way to scary.
so hang on . Did you say your living in uk or canada ? I’m going to say I’m living in uk (which I more less am) but I’m going to mail it to uk passport office from toronto with a photo copy of my Canada PP (or I may just send it to my folks in uk & then ship it via Royal Mail) . I’m then Gona have it shipped to my uk address and then courier to TO. Is that a good way of doing it ?
I think you're waaay over-thinking things - a passport application is processed on the basis of the form and details, not on where the envelope was mailed from, nor where you have asked the new passport to be mailed to.

I agree with JG that lying on a passport application form is a bad idea, but I honestly don't think it makes a whole lot of difference to your application, and the successful issuance of a new passport in your name, whether you are resident in Canada, the UK, or Timbuktu.
Old Apr 3rd 2022, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

DURHAM is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Friends, I live in the Vancouver area , my British passport expired last year and I have a valid Canadian passport. I been reading the thread, and I have to send my expired British passport , do i need to send my current Canadian passport or colour photocopies of all pages please??

My wifes British passport also expired last year, but she doesn,t have a Canadian passport.

Will it be cheaper to post both our application together to the UK , and which is the cheapest posting - Canada Post, Fedex, UPS, DHL ??
Old Apr 3rd 2022, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DURHAM
Hello Friends, I live in the Vancouver area , my British passport expired last year and I have a valid Canadian passport. I been reading the thread, and I have to send my expired British passport , do i need to send my current Canadian passport or colour photocopies of all pages please??

My wifes British passport also expired last year, but she doesn,t have a Canadian passport.

Will it be cheaper to post both our application together to the UK , and which is the cheapest posting - Canada Post, Fedex, UPS, DHL ??
I renewed mine last year - I send colour copies of my Canadian passport rather than the document itself. I don’t know about sending both together - the system sends you updates via email or text so not sure if that would still be effective if tracking two. I don’t think it’s particularly expensive to post though. Your best money saving option is to take your own photos at home - when you do the application, it gives you the option of downloading or taking a photo, and tells you if it meets their specification.
Old Apr 3rd 2022, 1:19 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DURHAM

Colour photocopies of all the pages of your Canadian passport should be ok.As for which postal service to use. I used Canada Post Xpresspost International medium sized envelope, which was $71.45 (this was back in 2020 so costs could have changed). That should give you a base for comparing other methods to use. Key things are certainly trackable and signature required when delivered.
I will say once they have it, the status reporting as to where things are in the process is very good, far better than I expected.
Old Apr 4th 2022, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Twitcher1958 and Sharkus , for your very helpful replies
Old Apr 10th 2022, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

Finally posted my wifes passport renewal application yesterday - submitted the form online, took the photos at home and uploaded them. Sent the expired passport in a sm 9 x 6 envelope .
Used Canada Post - paid $25 for registered post and the other option was standard post for $6
Old Apr 25th 2022, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

Kingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond repute

After applying online on 17th January 2022 my application for a passport renewal was approved today, 25th April. I'm told the new passport is being printed, who knows how long before it actually arrives here. Hope they remember to send my Canadian one back!
Old Apr 26th 2022, 6:27 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

Now this is going back to March 2020, but my passport was printed on 12th March 2020, picked up by DHL on 13th March 2020, and delivery occurred March 17th 2020
Old Apr 29th 2022, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

Nonie50 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ArthurBrit
I renewed my passport whilst in Canada and yes I sent them my old one.

You get it back with the corner cut off, along with (in a separate shipment) the shiny new passport. No issues with the process, super easy and efficient.

Canadian passport was left untouched.
Hiya. Did you do it online ? Where did you get your photo done? I am panicking about photo compliance. 😬
Old Apr 29th 2022, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nonie50
Hiya. Did you do it online ? Where did you get your photo done? I am panicking about photo compliance. 😬
Yes - do it online. You can even take your own photo at home - follow the guidelines they give you and get someone else to take the photo - selfies not recommended. When you’re asked on the online form to submit a photo, it will tell you whether it’s acceptable or not.
Old Apr 29th 2022, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

Nonie50 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Twitcher1958
Yes - do it online. You can even take your own photo at home - follow the guidelines they give you and get someone else to take the photo - selfies not recommended. When you’re asked on the online form to submit a photo, it will tell you whether it’s acceptable or not.
Thank you. That is reassuring. Was going to go back home to do it from Manchester , but it seems like is so chaotic there.
Old Apr 29th 2022, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Kingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond repute

My wife took my pic but it was rejected though it looked good to us. I eventually went to Shoppers Drug Mart. They gave me a digital pic on a flash drive which I uploaded and was immediately accepted by the UK service. The downside was having to pay about $31 for the digital picture but at least it's done and I only paid Canada Post about $6 for mailing it. I originally applied (with a picture later rejected) on 17th Jan. This week my new passport has been printed and dispatched to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.