Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK passports renewal (while in canada)

UK passports renewal (while in canada)

Old May 2nd 2022, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK passports renewal (while in canada)

Originally Posted by Kingsboy48
My wife took my pic but it was rejected though it looked good to us. I eventually went to Shoppers Drug Mart. They gave me a digital pic on a flash drive which I uploaded and was immediately accepted by the UK service. The downside was having to pay about $31 for the digital picture but at least it's done and I only paid Canada Post about $6 for mailing it. I originally applied (with a picture later rejected) on 17th Jan. This week my new passport has been printed and dispatched to me.
Just a comment for anyone else - it’s worth doing a few home photos, rather than just the one you mentioned. The site tells you the reason for rejection - too dark, or not the right colour behind - so if one is rejected, the next might be fine with not much apparent difference to you or I.
Worth trying anyway before resorting to a professional.
Old May 2nd 2022, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

Rugbys Finest is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just renewed my passport. From the online application to when I received my new passport it took just under 6 weeks which is pretty impressive as they were quoting 11 weeks initially.
Old May 9th 2022, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

DURHAM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DURHAM
Finally posted my wifes passport renewal application yesterday - submitted the form online, took the photos at home and uploaded them. Sent the expired passport in a sm 9 x 6 envelope .
Used Canada Post - paid $25 for registered post and the other option was standard post for $6
So p-ssed off - just got a letter today 9th May dated 2nd May re my wifes application, I did send just the current passport which expired Jan 2021. I didn,t send the one before this one which expired 29th Jan 2011 and has the corners cut.
Here,s the letter and line 2 states You still need to send the old passport - this means the passport u crrently hold
Send us your old passport or your application will be withdrawn.
You still need to send us your old passport - this means the passport you currently hold.
We,ll withdraw your application if we don,t receive it by May 22, 2022.
Fees can,t be refunded.
If you can,t send your old passport , phone us.

Last edited by DURHAM; May 9th 2022 at 11:09 pm.
Old May 9th 2022, 11:11 pm
Just Joined

Nonie50 is an unknown quantity at this point

I can imagine how stressful this process could be.
Are you sure they have received the one you sent them ? Usually they cancel the previous passport when a new one is issued and they only ask for the passports that is not cancelled .
i have noticed on Twitter a lot of people are complaining about the current process , but there are also a lot of shared info and possible explanations ,
Hope it gets sorted .

So p-ssed off - just got a letter today 9th May dated 2nd May re my wifes application, I did send just the current passport which expired Jan 2021. I didn,t send the one before this one which expired 29th Jan 2011 and has the corners cut.
Here,s the letter and line 2 states You still need to send the old passport - this means the passport u crrently hold
You still need to send us your old passport - this means the passport you currently hold.
Fees can,t be refunded.
Old May 10th 2022, 5:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nonie50
I can imagine how stressful this process could be.
Are you sure they have received the one you sent them ? Usually they cancel the previous passport when a new one is issued and they only ask for the passports that is not cancelled .
i have noticed on Twitter a lot of people are complaining about the current process , but there are also a lot of shared info and possible explanations ,
Hope it gets sorted .
Yes i sent the latest passport for my wife which expired in Jan 2021 . Can anyone confirm if the UK passport office has made an error.?? And if anyone made a similiar application for renewal, if they only sent the latest expired passport or if u had to send the even older one which has the front back corners & photo page cut ??

Last edited by DURHAM; May 10th 2022 at 6:00 am.
Old May 10th 2022, 7:32 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Yes i sent the latest passport for my wife which expired in Jan 2021 . Can anyone confirm if the UK passport office has made an error.?? And if anyone made a similiar application for renewal, if they only sent the latest expired passport or if u had to send the even older one which has the front back corners & photo page cut ??

I used the online service to renew my son's passport and sent his documents and old passport by UPS. The courier emailed me the signed delivery slip so I was amazed when HMPO's tracking service kept saying they were still waiting for the documents. I telephoned and emailed them several times and then emailed them a copy of the UPS delivery confirmation. Turns out that the envelope had been signed for, presumably by some receptionist / door keeper / who knows who and had been sitting around somewhere for over a week before reaching the right office.
Old May 10th 2022, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Plz post help or advice if you have done a UK passport renewal similar to my wifes.

Last edited by DURHAM; May 10th 2022 at 9:29 pm.
Old May 10th 2022, 10:41 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Plz post help or advice if you have done a UK passport renewal similar to my wifes.
So my help meant nothing?

Old May 11th 2022, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
I used the online service to renew my son's passport and sent his documents and old passport by UPS. The courier emailed me the signed delivery slip so I was amazed when HMPO's tracking service kept saying they were still waiting for the documents. I telephoned and emailed them several times and then emailed them a copy of the UPS delivery confirmation. Turns out that the envelope had been signed for, presumably by some receptionist / door keeper / who knows who and had been sitting around somewhere for over a week before reaching the right office.
Hi There
Sorry to jump on the thread for my question . It is good to know you can do this.
which email address did you use ? Are you provided with one, when submitting your application ?

thank you.
Old May 11th 2022, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

The on-line passport tracking service states that there will be a delay between a courier saying that documents have been delivered and it appearing on the passport website (I can't remember the exact wording).
In my case, very recently, that was five days.

Last edited by MidAtlantic; May 11th 2022 at 6:06 pm.
Old May 11th 2022, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

That is brilliant. What service did you use to send your old passport ? I need to renew mine soon, dreading it ! 😬
Originally Posted by Rugbys Finest
I've just renewed my passport. From the online application to when I received my new passport it took just under 6 weeks which is pretty impressive as they were quoting 11 weeks initially.
Old May 13th 2022, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

Hello Lorna Vicenza, I didn,t mean to ignore your post. I just didn,t understand it fully
Old May 15th 2022, 1:29 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't read the entire thread. But I was very impressed with the service from the passport office.

Did the online app, uploaded my photo, sent old passport and a photocopy of every page of my Canadian passport. Was kept informed at every stage and got my brand new passport back within a month. Excellent service.
Old May 18th 2022, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

Fees can,t be refunded.
Wow, on one hand I got a letter asking for the old passport to be sent by 22 May , otherwise the renewal application will be withdrawn which caused us quite alot of stress. Today my wifes new passport arrived - so pleased and relieved. Sent 8th April, receieved 17th May = around 6 weeks.

Last edited by DURHAM; May 18th 2022 at 12:18 am.
Old Jun 1st 2022, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

Kingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kingsboy48
My wife took my pic but it was rejected though it looked good to us. I eventually went to Shoppers Drug Mart. They gave me a digital pic on a flash drive which I uploaded and was immediately accepted by the UK service. The downside was having to pay about $31 for the digital picture but at least it's done and I only paid Canada Post about $6 for mailing it. I originally applied (with a picture later rejected) on 17th Jan. This week my new passport has been printed and dispatched to me.
So my new Uk passport arrived the first during the first week of May. Yesterday I had an email from the passport office saying my documents ere being returned to me. Today my old UK passport and current Canadian were delivered by DHL. They only left the UK on 31st May, yesterday the DHL website told me, via the tracking number, that delivery was expected on 7th June but I'm good with today, all is well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.