Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK nurse moving to Canada

UK nurse moving to Canada

Old Mar 4th 2021, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK nurse moving to Canada

Originally Posted by Edith123 View Post
Hello,

I was wondering whether anyone can answer my query. As a UK nurse planning on moving to Canada, after the initial NNAS registration is completed is it mandatory for the NCLEX exam to be taken? I read somewhere that it is only required if you cannot provide proof of fluency in the English language but I’m not sure what this means?

Also what is the retirement age for RNs in Canada?

Can anyone help answer please?

Thanks

Edith
NCLEX exam has nothing to do with English fluency but everything to do with qualifying as a nurse in Canada and being able to work as a RN. Only exception to sitting the exam is if you passed the exam previously if planning on working in the US or passed the CRNE years ago
Old Mar 5th 2021, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

Edith123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay thanks for clarifying!

Edith
Old Mar 30th 2021, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

Starshine 909 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys, I'm planning on applying from the UK however I have just noticed this from the NMC website
"We don't issue paper certificates or complete forms given to us by other authorities."
It's starting to stress me out, can anyone shed any light on what I am meant to do now?
thanks
Old Mar 30th 2021, 3:19 pm

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Starshine 909 View Post
Hey guys, I'm planning on applying from the UK however I have just noticed this from the NMC website
"We don't issue paper certificates or complete forms given to us by other authorities."
It's starting to stress me out, can anyone shed any light on what I am meant to do now?
thanks
Have you completed the other Provincial / Federal registrations to be able to work as a nurse in Canada? Which Province are you hoping to move to?
Lots of info on how to do this in this thread: https://britishexpats.com/forum/cana...canada-905062/

Old Mar 30th 2021, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

Starshine 909 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am planning on applying via NNAS - but they want everything in hard copy mailed to them - NMC doesn't do that unfortunately
Old Apr 2nd 2021, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

MatteoHV is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mdonald1987 View Post
How is the 250 hours of supervised practice completed? Do they provide a placement for you or can you work as a nurse provisionally to achieve those hours? Are the hours done at the same time as your study or separately? Sorry for all the questions!
The Placement happen after you finish certain modules and a lab experience (generally few days). My wife took an online course. The difficulties for RN from UK is that when you do an exam, you have to answer right or wrong for each question, here works on Critical Thinking, so it could be tricky if you are not use to that.
My wife will attend the lab in 2 weeks time and then will receive the placement for about 2 months. After that she will have a provisional licence until Nclex will be done. For us has not been easy for many reasons but we managed to get there. Hard yes, not impossible.