Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

"UK" Chinese takeaway in Vancouver?

"UK" Chinese takeaway in Vancouver?

Old Oct 23rd 2012, 2:33 am
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "UK" Chinese takeaway in Vancouver?

Originally Posted by Lychee
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Chinese_cuisine

Any shopping mall food court will have westernized Chinese food. None of it's any good, mind you...
And most of the Chinese restaurants that do an all-you-can-eat buffet type of thing will have the usual array of fluorescent battered meats.

The nearest I've found to chips from a UK Chinese takeaway are the potato wedges on the hot take-out counter in one of the supermarkets, possibly Save-On. It was in Burnaby but I don't suppose they are the only ones frying them in the oil used to fry everything else.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "UK" Chinese takeaway in Vancouver?

If you find yourself in Yaletown (downtown Vancouver), Yopo Cafe may be what you're looking for. I go there for lunch when I'm craving westernized Chinese. There used to be another place I'd order from for takeaway, I believe they've moved down Davie Street, although I forget their name or if they're even open anymore. (I'll look it up)

http://www.yopocafe.com/menu1.html

Side note: These authentic Chinese restaurants have only been around in Vancouver since the 1990s. If you can find a Chinese restaurant that's been open before then, chances are, it's westernized. Anything that advertises itself as "Chinese and Canadian" will no doubt by westernized Chinese. I used to live in Richmond. I used to know many westernized Chinese restaurants that once thrived prior to the mass immigration from Hong Kong. I'll try to dig up their names.

Last edited by Lychee; Oct 23rd 2012 at 4:04 pm.