Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

"UK" Chinese takeaway in Vancouver?

"UK" Chinese takeaway in Vancouver?

Old Oct 22nd 2012, 3:12 am
Just Joined

Jonesonaboat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default "UK" Chinese takeaway in Vancouver?

You guys must know what I mean.. there's just something about a "UK" westernised Chinese takeaway that I just haven't been able to find over here. I've tried making my own and it isn't too bad, but sometimes I just want the whole tradition of calling up, having it delivered to the door and opening some plastic trays!

So, has anyone got any good, similar takeaways in Vancouver? I live on the Richmond/New West border. You'd think with the heavy Asian influence in Richmond it'll be a breeze to get good Chinese food but I find they're all too authentic if that makes sense. I want some UK Chinese food! Sweet and sour chicken balls, chips and egg fried rice!!

Edit: I'm also spending a week in Calgary for Christmas with the in-laws, if anyone knows of a place up there, I'd be most grateful!

Last edited by Jonesonaboat; Oct 22nd 2012 at 3:17 am.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 3:29 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "UK" Chinese takeaway in Vancouver?

Ok seriously...why the **** do you think there'd be "UK-style" "Chinese" food in a city on the other side of the world where approx 50% of the population is Asian? Who would be the market for this food? The microscopic British expat community?

Honestly. Grow some balls and fall in love with some Vancouver Asian food
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 3:44 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
Ok seriously...why the **** do you think there'd be "UK-style" "Chinese" food in a city on the other side of the world where approx 50% of the population is Asian? Who would be the market for this food? The microscopic British expat community?

Honestly. Grow some balls and fall in love with some Vancouver Asian food
The takeout chinese around us - such as it is - is too sweet. I wish we had some "authentic" asian food of any kind. There's some nice dim sum in Chinatown in Victoria, but nothing to speak of out here in the boonies!

We've learnt to cook our own.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 3:45 am
Just Joined

Kiwilass.. It's westernised Chinese food.. it's really not that "microscopic". If I was asking for this whilst living in Beijing, yeah, but Canada? Hmm..
I've found it at so many places on the island, so I guess there must be some market for it?

And rivingtonpike thanks for the reply, I was in Nanaimo for a couple of months at the beginning of this year and I could find the kind of food I'm looking for everywhere, just not here on the mainland so far! Guess we should trade places eh?

Last edited by Jonesonaboat; Oct 22nd 2012 at 3:48 am.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 3:50 am

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

mm yeah. The Island is not Vancouver.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 3:55 am
Just Joined

Good job. I didn't realize asking about something that's so easy to get on the island would generate such a stir.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 4:00 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonesonaboat
Kiwilass.. It's westernised Chinese food.. it's really not that "microscopic". If I was asking for this whilst living in Beijing, yeah, but Canada? Hmm..
I've found it at so many places on the island, so I guess there must be some market for it?

And rivingtonpike thanks for the reply, I was in Nanaimo for a couple of months at the beginning of this year and I could find the kind of food I'm looking for everywhere, just not here on the mainland so far! Guess we should trade places eh?
Probably cos there are more Brits on the island ! Mainland . . . we are dispersed and the Asian communities are bigger -hence more authentic foods ! . . .
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 4:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Probably cos there are more Brits on the island ! Mainland . . . we are dispersed and the Asian communities are bigger -hence more authentic foods ! . . .
Yeah I get it, still hoping to get lucky with somewhere.. anywhere in the lower mainland really, I said I live in Richmond but really not expecting anything from there! There's some decent places in New West even, just thought I'd ask to see if I was missing out on anything!
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

nativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to behold

I know exactly what you mean, not had a decent chinese since we've been here. Let me know if you find one, I coud kill for special curry and fried rice!
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 6:08 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonesonaboat
You guys must know what I mean.. there's just something about a "UK" westernised Chinese takeaway that I just haven't been able to find over here. I've tried making my own and it isn't too bad, but sometimes I just want the whole tradition of calling up, having it delivered to the door and opening some plastic trays!

So, has anyone got any good, similar takeaways in Vancouver? I live on the Richmond/New West border. You'd think with the heavy Asian influence in Richmond it'll be a breeze to get good Chinese food but I find they're all too authentic if that makes sense. I want some UK Chinese food! Sweet and sour chicken balls, chips and egg fried rice!!

Edit: I'm also spending a week in Calgary for Christmas with the in-laws, if anyone knows of a place up there, I'd be most grateful!
I made this point some time back and there was a fairly lengthy discussion on it . I miss those big pancake rolls and proper Chinese chips with curry sauce. The Chinese food here is not proper takeaway and is too authentically Chinese.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=703678

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=671363

http://www.hotdelivery.ca/menu.htm

Last edited by Oink; Oct 22nd 2012 at 6:24 am.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 10:48 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Jesus, UK Chinese food is absolute shit compared to restaurants in Vancouver.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B
Jesus, UK Chinese food is absolute shit compared to restaurants in Vancouver.
I know, right? I hated Chinese (takeaway) food until I came here and tried it Vancouver style.

It's just silly to be wanting UK style takeaway in Canada. It's up there with people looking for British style curry in Canada. You do realise you've moved right?
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if he has noticed the difference between Cadburys chocolate bars and Guinness yet
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 2:38 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I made this point some time back and there was a fairly lengthy discussion on it . I miss those big pancake rolls and proper Chinese chips with curry sauce. The Chinese food here is not proper takeaway and is too authentically Chinese.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=703678

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=671363

http://www.hotdelivery.ca/menu.htm
yep love chips and curry sauce..highbrow dining it aint but who gives a shit?
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

headingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
I know, right? I hated Chinese (takeaway) food until I came here and tried it Vancouver style.

It's just silly to be wanting UK style takeaway in Canada. It's up there with people looking for British style curry in Canada. You do realise you've moved right?
Not really, if its a craving that you want it's not unreasonable to seek it out and this is a sensible venue to do so.

That said, I would suspect that there is a limited market for greasy bland chinese outside of the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.