Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Question about jobs

Question about jobs

Old Oct 22nd 2012, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

partyboy118 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question about jobs

Hi everyone. I moved to Vancouver just over a month ago. I didn't apply for jobs before I came because I figured that foreign employers wouldn't hire support staff from overseas. I thought I had a slight advantage because I was born in Canada so I'm a pukka Canadian citizen.
I've applied for a bunch of jobs; from office-type stuff I could do to jobs at Starbucks and as a cinema usher. I've had interviews at 3 job agencies (and a 4th tomorrow). But apart from one job I went for that gave me a second interview, I've had zero joy.
I didn't even hear back from Tim Horton's!
I'm a 35 year old white guy Canadian citizen with experience in legal billing. Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 2:08 am
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Question about jobs

So networking is going to be the main answer you will probably get.

My advice is get your resume reviewed, also try and find out if your local employment service center has any courses that could help you. I did a resume course and it helped. Also follow up any applications that you make.

For me it took ages to break through the barriers that came up especially with my original resume. I got there in the end and all is going well.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 2:41 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by partyboy118
Hi everyone. I moved to Vancouver just over a month ago. I didn't apply for jobs before I came because I figured that foreign employers wouldn't hire support staff from overseas. I thought I had a slight advantage because I was born in Canada so I'm a pukka Canadian citizen.
I've applied for a bunch of jobs; from office-type stuff I could do to jobs at Starbucks and as a cinema usher. I've had interviews at 3 job agencies (and a 4th tomorrow). But apart from one job I went for that gave me a second interview, I've had zero joy.
I didn't even hear back from Tim Horton's!
I'm a 35 year old white guy Canadian citizen with experience in legal billing. Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Don't rely on just applying for advertised jobs. If you are experienced in an legal environment, presumably lawyers offices is where your skills will be best used. Get some help grooming your resume, be prepared to pay to get it done right. $200 on a resume that might get you a $50k pa job is a good investment. Resume in hand, start pounding the pavement and drop in cover letter and resume to every lawyers office you may want to work in.

As has been said, network and network some more. Sending in job applications with a 1000 or more others, you are just one of many, cold calling you are one out of one.

Many locals have spent more than a month job hunting. Set yourself apart from the herd.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 7:56 am
Just Joined

partyboy118 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Question about jobs

That's really helpful, thanks.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to behold

Hi Partyboy,

I just moved to Calgary and im having the same challenges myself. May job applications and no replys. I guess its networking and phoning.
Check out some of the immigrant support centres. They run resume and interview programs in helping find employment.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 4:33 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tony_Tiger
Hi Partyboy,

I just moved to Calgary and im having the same challenges myself. May job applications and no replys. I guess its networking and phoning.
Check out some of the immigrant support centres. They run resume and interview programs in helping find employment.
There are a lot of 'free' job finding courses and how to write your resume lessons around. As an employer I have had some very mixed standards coming through these organisations.

Many professional resume writers are worth the investment (look at their work first though) in getting a job, particularly for a more senior or professional position.

As with many things, a resume can be worth what you pay for it.