Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK & Canadian electric plug query. Help ?

UK & Canadian electric plug query. Help ?

Old Nov 27th 2009, 2:59 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK & Canadian electric plug query. Help ?

Originally Posted by The Aviator
An appliance does not spark unless it is defective, it would be the contact between the plug connectors and the receptacle. The spark occurs when connecting and disconnecting. A load only occurs when an appliance is switched on, not when standing idle, connected or not. If the appliance is not switched on (not the outlet) no current is flowing.
Iron's don't typically have on/off switches (not that I would know as I don't bother with it)
Old Nov 27th 2009, 3:13 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trouncer
I also have a few things like guitar amp and effects that I think only work on 240v (they got packed away and shipped over due to the rush of the removal men). I really miss playing the old axe and stuff and buying new stuff is so expensive.
It might be worth checking with the manufacturer. Some amps that seem to be single voltage can be used on 110V just by changing a fuse. Unfortunately, I don't know how or why or which ones.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 3:16 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Iron's don't typically have on/off switches (not that I would know as I don't bother with it)
So then you would not leave it plugged into a wall socket all the time would you?
Old Nov 27th 2009, 3:17 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

So then you would not leave it plugged into a wall socket all the time would you?
No - i never plug the thing in.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 3:17 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

No - i never plug the thing in.
So the only load would be on your arm when you move it out of the way to get to he cookie tin?
Old Nov 27th 2009, 3:26 pm

So the only load would be on your arm when you move it out of the way to get to he cookie tin?
Well yes. My clothes go un-ironed.

There's always a spark when you make a connection if the power is high enough (it's not the voltage per se, i.e you plenty of sparks from a 12v car battery). The difference with electrical sockets that have switches is that the sparking happens out of sight.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 12:25 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canadian_critic
Well here's the difference. Outlets don't have switches so appliances like irons spark like buggery as they're always on. The higher the load the greater the spark. Can't believe you've not noticed this. It's very well known, but if you're not looking for it I guess it's easy to miss.
This is total balderdash. Perhaps your father was having a little joke at the expense of the family's weakest link?
Old Nov 29th 2009, 2:53 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I can tell you that Canadian electricity gives you quite an oomph if you are touching the plug connectors when you push the plug into the outlet. I don't do this anymore.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 3:02 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I can tell you that Canadian electricity gives you quite an oomph if you are touching the plug connectors when you push the plug into the outlet. I don't do this anymore.
I would hope not.

I hope you weren't doing it deliberately in the first instance.

There are less dangerous ways to curl your hair.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 4:22 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I would hope not.

I hope you weren't doing it deliberately in the first instance.

There are less dangerous ways to curl your hair.
No, not deliberately though there are days when it seems like a good plan. I was lying on the floor under the bed trying to plug the extension cable in. My finger hit the connector and the electricty hit me. Rather unpleasant but very luckily no lasting damage
Old Nov 29th 2009, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Maybe it's a BC thing,
But in the houses we have been in the front rooms have sockets covered by a switch, very handy for things like lamps etc..
Likewise the local council, will issue permits for '240v' sockets in the house.( apparently a lot of brits request them)

As to 'The higher the load the greater the spark', I tend to agree, try 'plugging' in an a item turned on with a 10A draw then try one with a 50A draw, the spark will be bigger..

Some 240 only equipment does work here, i.e. chargers, but they take longer to charge, and my boys scalextric set states 240v only but it works OK and has been for 3 yrs..
cheers
jerry ( where's the snow...)
Old Nov 29th 2009, 10:35 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jerry brewer
Hi

As to 'The higher the load the greater the spark', I tend to agree, try 'plugging' in an a item turned on with a 10A draw then try one with a 50A draw, the spark will be bigger..
No. The breakdown voltage of dry air at STP is about 33kV/cm. So, at 240V you might get a spark about 0.08 mm long on plugging something turned on in. At 120V, it'd be half as long.

When unplugging a turned on device, surface imperfections on the contacts could cause a discharge (more likely to happen at 240V than 120V and independent of the current draw, i.e. independent of load at constant V), and this discharge, once established, could extend to larger scale lengths due to ionization of air providing a reduced resistance pathway once the spark is established.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

NotTooShabby will become famous soon enoughNotTooShabby will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by canadian_critic
According to my father who was an electrical engineer, this is also why you get the disconcerting sparks when plugging appliances in. I put it down to dodgy foreigner electrics myself, but open to debate on the matter...
I have also witnessed sparks when plugging things in. Also noticed the lights dimming when turning on the vacuum cleaner or hair dryer. Agree entirely about dodgy foreign electrics. Those stupid wire nuts would never be allowed in a civilised country.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
No. The breakdown voltage of dry air at STP is about 33kV/cm. So, at 240V you might get a spark about 0.08 mm long on plugging something turned on in. At 120V, it'd be half as long.

When unplugging a turned on device, surface imperfections on the contacts could cause a discharge (more likely to happen at 240V than 120V and independent of the current draw, i.e. independent of load at constant V), and this discharge, once established, could extend to larger scale lengths due to ionization of air providing a reduced resistance pathway once the spark is established.
More likely? Shorting a battery of any voltage will generate a spark which kind of indicates that load is a factor.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 11:32 pm
Born again atheist

More likely? Shorting a battery of any voltage will generate a spark which kind of indicates that load is a factor.
Why?

Don't get confused with car batteries, which have an inductance (an autotransformer) in the circuit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.