Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK & Canadian electric plug query. Help ?

Wikiposts

UK & Canadian electric plug query. Help ?

Old Nov 29th 2009, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK & Canadian electric plug query. Help ?

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
No. The breakdown voltage of dry air at STP is about 33kV/cm. So, at 240V you might get a spark about 0.08 mm long on plugging something turned on in. At 120V, it'd be half as long.

When unplugging a turned on device, surface imperfections on the contacts could cause a discharge (more likely to happen at 240V than 120V and independent of the current draw, i.e. independent of load at constant V), and this discharge, once established, could extend to larger scale lengths due to ionization of air providing a reduced resistance pathway once the spark is established.
Perhaps you could explain to everyone the theory of current chopping, re-strike voltages, switching inductive loads, surge currents and back emf's - all can lead to sparking? The sparks we get when we switch in my business are common and usually about 10 ft in length! Electrical faults causing fires are more common in Canada (I2R heating effects) due to the increase current loading over a 240v system.

Dont forget if you use a voltage convertor it still draws current (Power) when it is switched on with nothing connected to it e.g. a 1000 watt voltage converter will use about 20 watts assuming an efficiency of 98% no load if you leave it energised.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 11:39 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by getoutofbritainquick
Perhaps you could explain to everyone the theory of current chopping, re-strike voltages, switching inductive loads, surge currents and back emf's - all can lead to sparking? The sparks we get when we switch in my business are common and usually about 10 ft in length! Electrical faults causing fires are more common in Canada (I2R heating effects) due to the increase current loading over a 240v system.

Dont forget if you use a voltage convertor it still draws current (Power) when it is switched on with nothing connected to it e.g. a 1000 watt voltage converter will use about 20 watts assuming an efficiency of 98% no load if you leave it energised.
The discussion originated with someone claiming that "disconcerting sparks" are more common on 120 VAC mains than on 240 VAC mains. I think you'd agree that current chopping, re-strike voltages, switching inductive loads, surge currents and back emf's have little to do with that topic?

Edit: By 12R, you meant I squared R? But what's that got to do with sparking? Fires, yes, but sparking?

Last edited by Novocastrian; Nov 29th 2009 at 11:53 am.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 11:50 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Why?

Don't get confused with car batteries, which have an inductance (an autotransformer) in the circuit.
Get a PP3 9V battery and short it with tin foil - you'll see sparks.

Edit: Saddo that I am, I just tried with a 1.5V aa battery, and got sparks (and a hot battery).

(sparking and arcing are not necessarily the same anyway, a spark can just be something burning rather than true ionisation)

Last edited by Alan2005; Nov 29th 2009 at 11:59 am.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 12:04 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Get a PP3 9V battery and short it with tin foil - you'll see sparks.

Edit: Saddo that I am, I just tried with a 1.5V aa battery, and got sparks (and a hot battery).

(sparking and arcing are not necessarily the same anyway, a spark can just be something burning rather than true ionisation)
Pedant.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 12:11 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Pedant.
It's cos I noticed my sparks were orange and as such are probably molten tin foil rather than electrical in nature. But it's still a spark and just as potentially hazardous.

Ok, I'll stop being a pedantic nerd now.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

The discussion originated with someone claiming that "disconcerting sparks" are more common on 120 VAC mains than on 240 VAC mains. I think you'd agree that current chopping, re-strike voltages, switching inductive loads, surge currents and back emf's have little to do with that topic?

Edit: By 12R, you meant I squared R? But what's that got to do with sparking? Fires, yes, but sparking?
They are; double the current for the same wattage - more prone to arching (sorry sparking) at 120V than 240V (arch extinction theory) for the reasons I mentioned. Put a short across a car battery and what happens.....?
Old Dec 1st 2009, 9:32 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by getoutofbritainquick
Put a short across a car battery and what happens.....?
You might need a new alternator.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Old Dec 1st 2009, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Or a shunt fuse
Old Dec 1st 2009, 10:41 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bodgerx
Or a shunt fuse
or a new hair do
Old Dec 1st 2009, 10:44 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Aviator
or a new hair do
That's not an issue for me.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 2:23 pm
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

Given the prices in Canada for electronics compared to the UK bring the box (buy a new power lead over here and buy a new monitor/printer).

When I moved I sold off all my electronic stuff and bought new when I got here.

Christ, you can get DVD players (capable of playing UK DVDs) here for the equivalent of 17 notes.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

Snort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really nice

For the computer gear get new leads its easier if you bought the computer in the last 5 years it should all be 110V compatible, but the label on the back will tell you for sure. For the guitar amp I run my UK bought Amp through a transformer and it works a treat, as the transformer was purchased here it conforms with insurance requirements, there are multiple links throughout these forums and can be bought from 25W to 10 KW whatever your need, I bought 5 200W for general appliances, a 500W for my Amp And a 1000W for my UK TV. All work like a charm and the whole lot cost under $250.
Old Dec 5th 2009, 1:45 am
Just Joined

squargle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by trouncer
Sorry if this sounds a bit ignorant. Can someone answer this query ?

I have a UK PC, screen and other peripherals which should hopefully work in Canada as the PC guy in the UK say's there should be a switch on the back of the PC to convert from 240v to 110v.

However, would it be possible to plug all my electrical devices (all mains cables with 3 pin UK plug ends) into a UK 4-way mains block (as I did in the UK), then plug that into the Canadian mains socket using a mains plug converter (an adapter which changes a UK 3 pin plug into a 2 pin Canadian mains plug ?

Will the PC and other devices work ok ?

Thanks in anticipation to all answers.
Most Canadian homes are supplied with 240V which is split into 2 110V curciuts in the fuse box. most homes also have big ugly 240V sockets for the cooker and washer/dryer . I wired in a UK 4 way extension lead up to my computer and peripherals and it all works just fine. wish I'd known that before I moved here as I would have brought my DVD player and stereo gear with me too . I know electronics are cheaper here but the stuff you already own is cheaper still.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 12:46 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by squargle
Most Canadian homes are supplied with 240V which is split into 2 110V curciuts in the fuse box. most homes also have big ugly 240V sockets for the cooker and washer/dryer . I wired in a UK 4 way extension lead up to my computer and peripherals and it all works just fine. wish I'd known that before I moved here as I would have brought my DVD player and stereo gear with me too . I know electronics are cheaper here but the stuff you already own is cheaper still.
You are aware though that doing it that way you have no neutral line (both non ground lines are "Hot" 120V to ground), and if your house should burn down your insurance company has the perfect reason not to pay out?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.