Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Type of Car suggestion for Ontario/Toronto?

Type of Car suggestion for Ontario/Toronto?

Old Oct 10th 2008, 2:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Type of Car suggestion for Ontario/Toronto?

Originally Posted by iaink
Oh well, I guess we will have to rely on the original poster to make sense of what they want.

As they appreciate snow tires and dont need to worry about practicalities, just rook racks or trailer hitches we should probably throw in a couple of muscle cars for them to try too, like the mustang GT, or the dodge challenger or the soon to arrive Camaro? Lots of HP for not much cash. Not really all that green a choice though...
And not much grip. Maybe one of the above for the summer and something dull for the winter? The something dull might be pressed into service in summer for moving rims around.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 2:52 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Iain - an Evo 10 with its snow mode has me drooling at the prospect
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
I agree with Iain - an Evo 10 with its snow mode has me drooling at the prospect
I confess to having enjoyed rocket econoboxes in the snow. I had a Suzuki Forsa Turbo which, if you stomped on the gas and moved the left foot sideways, would turn completely around from a standstill (after a tantalizing wait for the turbo, of course). Still, it would have been a great deal more fun to be able to do that al fresco.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:09 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
And not much grip. Maybe one of the above for the summer and something dull for the winter? The something dull might be pressed into service in summer for moving rims around.
Isnt more power than grip one of the allures of a sporty car? To be able to stomp on the gas and have the back end step out?

Most modern cars have the traction nanny option to keep you on the straight and narrow in the winter anyway, especially with a sensible tire selection and a bit of care how you plant your foot.

I think both the Evo and STi allow you to dial in exactly how much stability nanny is engaged and how much RWD bias the AWD operates with, so in effect, other than having a roof (which is kind of essential if you want a roof rack anyway I guess) they might be the best of both worlds, unfettered fun when you want it, and secure winter transportation when necessary.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 10th 2008 at 3:12 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Isnt more power than grip one of the allures of a sporty car? To be able to stomp on the gas and have the back end step out?
Absolutely and that means RWD, the opposite of a sensible arrangement for winter.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:21 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely and that means RWD, the opposite of a sensible arrangement for winter.
At least somepower to the rear is probably more fun for sure.

Modern stability systems have largely taken all the more interesting RWD winter characteristics out of play, no one complains about the big chrysler 300s and its dodge clones handling poorly in snow, and they are RWD. The Cops crown vics and the newer Dodge pPolice interceptors are RWD, and I see a lot of beemers in the winter. They all seem to get by. With modern Snow tires of course.

AWD can also be pushed to drift, my Subaru can be encouraged to break free if the traction is low...and thats only 165HP as it has no Turbo.

Maybe you should try one before knocking the whole idea?
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:24 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Modern stability systems have largely taken all the more interesting RWD winter characteristics out of play, no one complains about the big chrysler 300s and its dodge clones handling poorly in snow, and they are RWD. The Cops crown vics and the newer Dodge pPolice interceptors are RWD, and I see a lot of beemers in the winter. They all seem to get by. With modern Snow tires of course.
Add to the above, front wheel drive didn't exist for the most part in North America before 1980 and we all got around just fine before then, without modern stability systems.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Add to the above, front wheel drive didn't exist for the most part in North America before 1980 and we all got around just fine before then, without modern stability systems.
Not ideal though is it? Things have moved on. Although (as stated earlier here) rear-wheel drive is still the thing for driving feel. BMW hang on to it for this reason.

The thing about modern stability systems is that most manufacturers say they should be switched off in the snow! Very strange..maybe the software can't cope...

Best car I had in deep snow was a 205 Diesel. It would plough through snow drifts on the North York moors without any issue. Heavy diesel engine over the driven front wheels. Lots of engine breaking from the tourqy diesel. Nice. Well, not exactly nice, but practical.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

AWD can also be pushed to drift, my Subaru can be encouraged to break free if the traction is low...and thats only 165HP as it has no Turbo.

Maybe you should try one before knocking the whole idea?
1. You can turn the stability systems off. You have to be able to do that in order to spin the wheels when you're stuck and that's what makes them fun.

2. I regularly drive an AWD drive vehicle and a 4x4. And a 4x4 tractor! I drove a Subaru wagon last time we were in Colorado, from Grand Junction to Ouray and then offroad to look at the ice climbers. It had squeaky brakes as they do. Very practical, a Birkenstock of cars.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:38 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

When men were real men eh?
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by bodgerx
Not ideal though is it? Things have moved on.
No argument there, but rear wheel drive is not as bad a it is being painted in some of the above posts.

Each requires its own type of driving.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by G77
You said it, not me.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:49 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
You said it, not me.
If only you could return to those days, hey Mr P
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:50 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

. I regularly drive an AWD drive vehicle and a 4x4. And a 4x4 tractor! I drove a Subaru wagon last time we were in Colorado, from Grand Junction to Ouray and then offroad to look at the ice climbers. It had squeaky brakes as they do. Very practical, a Birkenstock of cars.

As we were proposing checking out the hotrodded motorsport enabled STi, thats rather like saying "I've driven a Silverado and it wasnt very sporty" when discussing the Corvette. Both are Chevies, have two seats and a big V8, but hardly comparable.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 10th 2008 at 3:57 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
If only you could return to those days, hey Mr P
No way in hell would I want to do that as tempting as it might be.

That would mean I would have to go back to work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.