Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Type of Car suggestion for Ontario/Toronto?

Type of Car suggestion for Ontario/Toronto?

Old Oct 10th 2008, 1:44 am
Sempai

retsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to all
Default Type of Car suggestion for Ontario/Toronto?

Hello.

What type of car would you suggest for the Toronto area?
The car will be used by two people only, we do not have kids nor will we ever have any (biological reasons). We both like a sporty car and the only thing that is important is that it could theorethicaly fit rims on the roof.

I have looked at the Audi S5 and the Mercedes CLK (AMG version).
I also would not mind driving a hatchback with enough power, I do not necessarily want to drive an American manufacturer.

I would always sheel out for very good winter tires and I am used to driving in winter conditions (I grew up in Austria).

I know those cars sound a bit flashy, they are just something I like, I am very open to suggestions. I wwill admit that a four wheel drive is appealing to me as well.

Thank you!
Old Oct 10th 2008, 11:34 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Type of Car suggestion for Ontario/Toronto?

Originally Posted by retsujou
What type of car would you suggest for the Toronto area? The car will be used by two people only, we do not have kids nor will we ever have any (biological reasons). We both like a sporty car and the only thing that is important is that it could theorethicaly fit rims on the roof.
I don't think there's ever been a sporty car with provision for carrying things on the roof. You could consider a trailer, then any model of car will do. There aren't any special considerations for Toronto and immediate area, whatever you'd drive in the UK would work here. If you're going to frequently venture into the snowbelt then I'd suggest front wheel drive but that, of course, detracts from the possibility of having a sporty car. I myself did the prudent thing and traded my Mustang convertible, sporty but RWD, for a Beetle convertible, not sporty but FWD, when we moved from urban Toronto to the back of beyond.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 1:04 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Subaru WRX/ STi? Mitsu Evo?

Frankly for what you want I'd go for something a bit more environmentally friendly. If you are in the GTA you will spend most of your time sitting in traffic anyway. Never saw the point of expensive flash cars though personally, always figured the owners were overcompensating for something.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 1:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Subaru WRX/ STi? Mitsu Evo?
Sedans, are they not? The request was for something sporty.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 1:20 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Sedans, are they not? The request was for something sporty.
Read the reviews

Sporty is how a car behaves, not how many doors it has. A Chrysler Sebring is a 2 door coupe, even available without a roof, but is it Sporty? Is it ****.

For the record the new Wrx/ STI is a hatch.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 1:35 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

An insurance broker mate of mine told me our Shitfire was classed as a sports car. It doesn't look too sporty with five sheets of drywall on the roof rack or a 16' ladder poking out the back.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 1:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Sporty is how a car behaves
In the adverts. A hardtop is inherently unsporty no matter how they try to sell it.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 1:51 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

In the adverts. A hardtop is inherently unsporty no matter how they try to sell it.
By that definition this is not a sportcar?

Or this?

or this?

I think you need to refine your definition. Anyway, this isnt about what you want, it was suggestions for the original poster, who said a hatch was OK.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 1:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

who said a hatch was OK.
Which I found confusing since he stated he didn't have any children and wanted something sporty. If a hardtop with a hatchback counts as sporty then one might consider the Ford Freestar sport model or indeed the Pontiac Shitfire mentioned above.

otoh, there's this:

http://www.bramclassauto.com/showveh...on=show&id=466

The cars above, btw, are sedans. There are lots of attractive sedans and coupes in the world but sports cars they are not. Those cars, of course, have nothing in common with the two box rice burners you mentioned earlier.

Last edited by dbd33; Oct 10th 2008 at 1:57 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 2:04 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

The cars above, btw, are sedans. There are lots of attractive sedans and coupes in the world but sports cars they are not. Those cars, of course, have nothing in common with the two box rice burners you mentioned earlier.
One begs to differ, the merc SL300 gullwing for example was designed specifically to race as a sportscar in road rallies such as the Mille Miglia, Targa Floria etc. How is that different to a Subaru WRX or an Evo which were also developed specifically for Homologation for what is now the world rally championship.

The fact the Sube is a hatch only now is because they found that was the stiffest platform they had to work with.

By your narrow argument of two doors and no roof this is a sports car

or even this

Now, Im not saying it might not be Fun, but I'm sorry, its not a sportscar.

Jeremy Clarkson might be a buffoon with too much testosterone, but he did at least get this right;

Last edited by iaink; Oct 10th 2008 at 2:36 pm. Reason: sm..spelling
Old Oct 10th 2008, 2:10 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

You could consider a trailer, then any model of car will do.

Ah, yes, the old Porsche with a towbar...
Attached Thumbnails Type of Car suggestion for Ontario/Toronto?-porsche.jpg  
Old Oct 10th 2008, 2:12 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Isn't anyone else curious as to why you would want to carry rims on the roof, even theoretically?

Is that just rims or is it rims with tires mounted?
Old Oct 10th 2008, 2:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

One begs to differ, the merc SL300 gullwing for example was designed specifically to race as a sportscar in road rallies such as the Mille Miglia, Targa Floria etc. How is that different to a Subaru WRX or and evo which were also developed specifically for Homologation for what is not the world rally championship.

The fact the Sube is a hatch only now is because they found that was the stiffest platform the had to work with.

By your narrow argument this is a sports car
No, that's divine, and certainly more appealing than a buzz box with room for kids and shopping, but a sports car requires both the lack of a superstructure and to be set up for performance. E Type Jaguar, Shelby Cobra, are examples. If you count every vehicle used in a rally you have to include Audi Quattros and various Saabs as being sporting when, in fact, they're about as exciting and interesting as a Subaru.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 2:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

One begs to differ, the merc SL300 gullwing for example was designed specifically to race as a sportscar in road rallies such as the Mille Miglia, Targa Floria etc. How is that different to a Subaru WRX or and evo which were also developed specifically for Homologation for what is not the world rally championship.

The fact the Sube is a hatch only now is because they found that was the stiffest platform the had to work with.

By your narrow argument of two doors and no roof this is a sports car

http://www.rrec.ch/rolls/rolls/eigen...cornicheII.jpg

or even this
http://www.automedia.com/NewCarBuyer...ible_ext_1.jpg
Now, Im not saying it might not be Fun, but I'm sorry, its not a sportscar.

Jeremy Clarkson might be a buffoon with too much testosterone, but he did at least get this right;
Added after you edited the bug in with the Roller.

I haven't argued that those vehicles are sportscars. You will note that above I stated that I had to give up having a sporty car for the second one pictured in order to cope with the severe weather in the snow belt.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 2:40 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Oh well, I guess we will have to rely on the original poster to make sense of what they want.

As they appreciate snow tires and dont need to worry about practicalities, just roof racks or trailer hitches we should probably throw in a couple of muscle cars for them to try too, like the mustang GT, or the dodge challenger or the soon to arrive Camaro? Lots of HP for not much cash. Not really all that green a choice though...

Last edited by iaink; Oct 10th 2008 at 2:49 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.