Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The trouble with Canada .......

The trouble with Canada .......

Old Sep 7th 2006, 12:19 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The trouble with Canada .......

Originally Posted by snowqueen
No, I'm not so rural - wish I was. Would love to know if you could recommend the stables there though as my daughter rides and I intend taking it up again..
SQ
The place was YERS (905) 888-1730.

http://www.yorkequestrianridingschoo....asp?pageid=21

I started riding there, three years (?) ago as an adult novice at the prompting of my OH who is an experienced rider. Thus I can't usefully recommend that barn but the OH can and does. By the time we moved on I was riding once a week in a private lesson and she was riding three times a week, two one hour group lessons and one hour unsupervised. The OH had a part lease on a horse, I just rode whichever one was considered most knackered that week. Without shows this cost about $800/month. That barn isn't set up for more than schooling shows but, for the well heeled and dedicated, the associated York facility on Davis Dr offers Trillium and, I think, A circuit events.

I thought our coach, Kate, to be knowledgeable and a strong motivator but a little conservative. I would absolutely trust her to teach my child but personally I liked the days when she was away and Avril stood in. Avril has broken most of the bones in her body and seemed determined that her students should experience this aspect of riding. Avril would have us use the outside ring, nevermind that it's dark and raining; the horses know where the jumps are. Evenings with Avril were thrilling.

The barn is clean, the safety rules strictly enforced, the schooling shoes seem fun and less than half of the parents involved are intensely competitive snobs, a much better ratio than at ballet. If the cost isn't alarming, I'd say book a trial lesson.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 1:12 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Although employment rights in Canada's provinces (employment standards come under provincial jurisdiction as I'm sure you know) may not compare to those in the UK, to say that employment rights don't exist in Canada is pure hyperbole. For example, if an employer fires a "manager" without just cause (a very difficult standard for an employer to meet), he may end up having to pay one year or more of regular wages to his former employee. Employees in Canada not only have rights under each province's employment standards act, but they are also protected by human rights commissions. I found this interesting:

http://www.albertahumanrights.ab.ca/...%20in%20employ

This is also interesting:

Fired employees are winning their cases in Canadian courts - so obviously they have rights - here are some prominent wins:

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/na...c2&k=31956
"Temporary Layoffs" dont even exist as such in the UK, but are a normal part of the business fabric here. So you arent fired, you are "laid off", with no compensation until after they make a permanent decision, if they do. Income drops from $4000 a month to the max EI of less than half that. Nice. Bugger all you can do about it.

Employees are fired without warning with no explanation all the time. Happened to me. No explanation. Two years after hiring , sorry, its not working out. Two year! Bullshit.

The fact that when people actually win legal cases against employers its headline news is proof of the state of employent law here. There may be laws, but they are poor and extremely hard to make stick for any normal employee.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

ClareEdm is an unknown quantity at this point

Lack of choice in the stores

so called Superstore doesnt sell much ...
Old Sep 7th 2006, 4:26 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Spooky. I think I got it from GUT two days ago. And you?
I've been aware of the quote for years, although I can't remember it exactly. I rarely go into GUT these days. I got bored with it.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 5:18 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I've been aware of the quote for years, although I can't remember it exactly. I rarely go into GUT these days. I got bored with it.
I know what you mean. I post a bit on the football threads but International is no-go territory these days.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 5:29 pm
smokes, let's go

Tidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really nice

Plan to live for an extra five years or so, as you will spend that much time talking to Canadians - boy, do they know how to chat! Yack, yack, yack. Unless you are in Quebec, of course.

The other worst thing about Canada is the hopeless administration and bureaucracy, but if you've ever dealt with Barclays bank or BT you should be well trained.

I can assure you that there are many, many real pubs in Canada - my hangover record is testament to that. And that grocery item you can't find anywhere else? Try Charlottetown Superstore. I've no idea why it has so much stuff, it just does!
Old Sep 7th 2006, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

charlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of light
Red face Re: The trouble with Canada .......

As Canadians only get 2 weeks vacation time, they are very "high maintenance" when they do have vacation. Question after question after question

Plus the constant "Hi How are you?" before any interaction no matter how trivial, friendly at first but not terribly sincere, it grinds on your nerves a bit when asked over 200 times a day (i work in a hotel), sometimes I feel like turning it back on them and saying how I really feel instead of saying "great thanks"

Finally it takes a lot of Canadians an absolute age to get to the point, something that I will have to adjust to, I know it is friendliness etc but when you are very busy it is hard to be patient
Old Sep 7th 2006, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charlie1
As Canadians only get 2 weeks vacation time, they are very "high maintenance" when they do have vacation. Question after question after question

Plus the constant "Hi How are you?" before any interaction no matter how trivial, friendly at first but not terribly sincere, it grinds on your nerves a bit when asked over 200 times a day (i work in a hotel), sometimes I feel like turning it back on them and saying how I really feel instead of saying "great thanks"

Finally it takes a lot of Canadians an absolute age to get to the point, something that I will have to adjust to, I know it is friendliness etc but when you are very busy it is hard to be patient
You're obviously in the wrong line of work. Try becoming one of the "Satanic Nurses"
Old Sep 7th 2006, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

charlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of light
Question Re: The trouble with Canada .......

Originally Posted by flashman
You're obviously in the wrong line of work. Try becoming one of the "Satanic Nurses"

WTF???!!!
Old Sep 7th 2006, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

1 - The driving here is amongst the worst I've seen anywhere in the world.

2 - The damn bugs. AAAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!! This is not a place to come if you've got a phobia about insects. A kind of wasp flew by me a few weeks back, and I'm not joking - it was about 6" long head to tail.

Apart from that, nothing sepcifically Canadian gets my goat. (Except perhaps the wife...)
Old Sep 7th 2006, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light

i felt the same when i first moved to canada, now i find myself asking 'how are u' like everyone else here, it doesnt even cross my mind, its like saying hello really
Old Sep 8th 2006, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by celine_uk
i felt the same when i first moved to canada, now i find myself asking 'how are u' like everyone else here, it doesnt even cross my mind, its like saying hello really
I have a few things to get used to, especially being so suspicious when people want to know my life story when meeting casually ie in supermarkets etc, i still have my suspicious british attitude, I cannot get over how genuinely friendly and interested people are, without having a sub plot
Old Sep 8th 2006, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Snave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by snowqueen
If you mean Lake Wilcox, then yes, it's close by, but we are actually just south of Bloomington. Not ON any lake though, just ponds behind us full of frogs etc., but we do have deer which is kind of nice in the midst of all this concrete madness.

SQ
Deer! They frighten the cr@p out of me on the bike on the way to work in the morning.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 12:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Snave
Deer! They frighten the cr@p out of me on the bike on the way to work in the morning.

You see deer riding bikes to work?
Old Sep 8th 2006, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light

I have a few things to get used to, especially being so suspicious when people want to know my life story when meeting casually ie in supermarkets etc, i still have my suspicious british attitude, I cannot get over how genuinely friendly and interested people are, without having a sub plot
you get used it the odd time that i see british people here in toronto (rare) and ask if their enjoying there visit in canada and what part of the UK their from, they look at you strange, i find most brits who visit canada hmm rude, and sometimes i put my foot in it and they say no im not british im welsh opps

so where in canada are you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.