Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Trips Back to the UK

Trips Back to the UK

Old Aug 11th 2004, 11:19 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trips Back to the UK

Look at it from the immigration officer's point of view.

He's got to be sure that the person in front of him is either:
- entitled to remain in the UK indefinitely; or
- will abide by the terms of admission.

If the person's mother had no stamp in her Canadian passport showing her UK permanent resident status and is asking for admission of a resident, of course he's going to ask questions. He doesn't know she's been living in the UK for 50 years and it's his job to find out.

Sooner or later the UK will do what Canada has done and force all permanent residents to obtain a document like the PR Card to prove their status.

Jeremy

Originally Posted by squarepants
Not being funny, if I was an immigration officer, and someone with a foreign passport came through and answered like that ( forever ) after asking them how long they are here for, I 'll think they are taking the micky as well.

In this day and age, those guys job's have just been made a little bit more difficult, if you know what I mean. Some might say that answer had a ring of sarcharsm to it !
Old Aug 13th 2004, 11:56 am
Just Joined

wantaeflit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Trips Back to the UK

Originally Posted by JAJ
Look at it from the immigration officer's point of view.

He's got to be sure that the person in front of him is either:
- entitled to remain in the UK indefinitely; or
- will abide by the terms of admission.

If the person's mother had no stamp in her Canadian passport showing her UK permanent resident status and is asking for admission of a resident, of course he's going to ask questions. He doesn't know she's been living in the UK for 50 years and it's his job to find out.

Sooner or later the UK will do what Canada has done and force all permanent residents to obtain a document like the PR Card to prove their status.

Jeremy
I agree with you all totally: my mum should sort her PR or citizenship out in the UK but the fact that this has never happened to her before has never really made her think about it seriously. To be honest (and I dearly hope she never reads this forum, she will not be amused) it is not knowing how to go about it - despite my constantly explaining - that has stopped her from doing it. She thought all she had to do was phone the passport office and get a uk passport and when I mentioned the Home office she was a bit baffled.

Anyhow, I guess it has never been as strict as it is just now, post Sept 11th so I will try and help her fill in the forms (patience allowing) to either get her passport stamped or get her UK citizenship, I suppose it is the least I can do for her seeing as it is down to her that I have my Canadian citizenship (even though I filled in all the forms all by myself *sighs*)