Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Trips Back to the UK

Trips Back to the UK

Old Aug 11th 2004, 1:17 am
Glaswegian

Default Re: Trips Back to the UK

That was a male comment - chocolate is just chocolate, but beer and curry are both major issues

Old Aug 11th 2004, 2:43 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
That was a male comment - chocolate is just chocolate, but beer and curry are both major issues
Mr G took a bit too long to learn that coming home without chocolate after saying "I'll bring some chocolate back with me" is just not right!

I could do with some back-up on this one!

Old Aug 11th 2004, 3:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

I flew a few times on a one year work visa post 9/11, before I became a permanent resident. It depends on the customs person, once i got through no problem, but on a couple of occaisions was sent to the immigration office. There they made me line up and then grilled me about seemingly every aspect of my life! Oh what fun! They let me back in though.

Int.
Old Aug 11th 2004, 3:28 am
Just Joined

pegnrog is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by liftman
To those of you already in Canada:

Do you go back to the UK for visits to friends, relatives etc?

Is this seen by the "locals" as you not being able to let go of the UK, or is it viewed as you still having time for family?

Having read about the percieved poor quality of clothes/furnishings/curtains, do any of you use a trip to the UK to get the things not available in Canada? (My wife and Marks and Spencer spings to mind )

Any thoughts welcomed.
hi, i am from nova scotia and have lived here my whole life, although i am gettin ready to move to the usa to be married. i dont think are clothes/furnishings and curtains are off poor quality. who ever told ya that is tellin fibs...........lol
Old Aug 11th 2004, 3:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation
Talking Re: Trips Back to the UK

And you two are still married after a stunt like that? Amazing (just kidding!!!! really). Men can so be useless some times can't they? Can you believe that they actually don't understand the importance of chocolate? You have my full support on this one. My husband pulled the same stunt with me until I decided to have my own slew of chocolate hidden away in the freezer (where he never goes of course). Then when we have to pull an "all-nighter", I pull out my frozen chocolate and don't share it with him. By the way, he didn't get any of that wonderful chocolate that I brought back from the UK - made him buy his own garbage Canadian chocolate!!!!!

But can you imagine the reaction if you forgot his favourite beer for the weekend or forgot to make his favourite curry dish? My god, you would think the world would have come to an end!!!!!

Mr G took a bit too long to learn that coming home without chocolate after saying "I'll bring some chocolate back with me" is just not right!

Old Aug 11th 2004, 4:46 am
#include

simonhouse is an unknown quantity at this point

I would never let my wife loose on a home-made curry. I have it down to a fine art now, a little under cooking or over cooking can mean a nightmare.

Vindaloo is very sensitive you know
Old Aug 11th 2004, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

Chester Copperpot is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by willmore
And you two are still married after a stunt like that? Amazing (just kidding!!!! really). Men can so be useless some times can't they? Can you believe that they actually don't understand the importance of chocolate? You have my full support on this one. My husband pulled the same stunt with me until I decided to have my own slew of chocolate hidden away in the freezer (where he never goes of course). Then when we have to pull an "all-nighter", I pull out my frozen chocolate and don't share it with him. By the way, he didn't get any of that wonderful chocolate that I brought back from the UK - made him buy his own garbage Canadian chocolate!!!!!

But can you imagine the reaction if you forgot his favourite beer for the weekend or forgot to make his favourite curry dish? My god, you would think the world would have come to an end!!!!!

I'm male and I love chocolate. There was a report last week how advertisers have been targeting females in error as they found out males were big consumers. Take a look at snackspot.org If your interested in what the latest chocolates and drinks are being released in the UK. I also don't drink beer, eat curry or watch soccer so I might not be classed as male
Old Aug 11th 2004, 9:24 am
Just Joined

wantaeflit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ed_and_Karen
So, has anyone ever experienced any problems returning from the UK back to Canada?

We are here at the moment as 'temporary residents' on a 1 year work visa (PR application has been in process since Oct 2003). Our visa's have been stamped 'Does not authorize re-entry'. This is a tad concerning since our house and life is now here, not in the UK.

I don't imagine we would hit any problems at this end, but could trying to fly out of the UK with a one-way ticket cause us grief? My wife found the officials at London very unhelpful, 'aggressive' and rude when she flew out to join me a month or so back.

Anyone been in a similar situation?
Thanks,
Ed.

Oh - and the 'locals' here find it perfectly understandable that we should want to go back to visit family and friends. They are very sociable people here after all!!

My big concern is the 'pain' we will go through all over again leaving certain family members when we fly out again. I suspect this will stop us from making trips back too frequently!!
My mum is a Canadian citizen and resident in the UK. She has lived in Glasgow (UK) for over 50 years and didn't have any trouble with passport control until post Sept 11th. She went to Canada for her usual 2/3 yearly trip and when she came back through passport control at Glasgow they asked her the usual questions "How long do you plan to stay?" and she answered her usual answer "Forever!" and they were really arsey & rude just as you described Ed. The guy that was at passport control refused to believe that she had never had any problems before and after beeing really rude about it all told her that if she didn't want trouble next time she should either get citizenship in the UK of a letter from the home office or something.

I don't remember exactly what she said that pport control said to her but I remember her saying she was really upset after it. So you would be after a 7 hr flight, what a &!$* of a man.

Similarly, a friend of mine's dad is Canadian and resident in UK and coming back through passport control years ago was asked what proof he had that he lived in the UK to which he pointed at his 4 (grown up) kids and said "them".
Old Aug 11th 2004, 10:34 am
Velouria

chocolate is a necessity!

i got a foot-long yorkie bar for my birthday this year, along with a jar of nutella. (perfect little gifts in my opinion!) the nutella is long gone, but im hoping the yorkie bar makes it through customs! will make those first few days settling in much easier

Old Aug 11th 2004, 4:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

First, what is a foot-long yorkie? Never saw them while in the UK.

I managed to get 8 of the HUGE Cadbury hazelnut chocolate bars through security and customs - the fellows at Heathrow had a REALLY good laugh ( was searched - yes searched!!!! twice) about it......and although the customs fellow at Victoria airport was a little more serious, he did laugh at these huge chocolate bars coming back into Canada - so hopefully you won't have any problems - lots of people are chocolate lovers!!!!
Originally Posted by Velouria
chocolate is a necessity!

i got a foot-long yorkie bar for my birthday this year, along with a jar of nutella. (perfect little gifts in my opinion!) the nutella is long gone, but im hoping the yorkie bar makes it through customs! will make those first few days settling in much easier
Old Aug 11th 2004, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

that website was really interesting. I always considered chocolate as "comfort food" for females -WRONG!!!. Males use as comfort food as well - the things I learn on these forums!!

Originally Posted by Chester Copperpot
I'm male and I love chocolate. There was a report last week how advertisers have been targeting females in error as they found out males were big consumers. Take a look at snackspot.org If your interested in what the latest chocolates and drinks are being released in the UK. I also don't drink beer, eat curry or watch soccer so I might not be classed as male
Old Aug 11th 2004, 5:22 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by Chester Copperpot
The results of the survey depend on the question asked:

How many times in the last month did you BUY chocolate?
M - too many to remember
F - None

How many times in the last month did you EAT chocolate?
M - None
F - too many to remember

You just need to ask the correct question or you get a surprise with the answer!

Old Aug 11th 2004, 5:44 pm
Just going for Holidays

liftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the rough
Talking Re: Trips Back to the UK

The results of the survey depend on the question asked:

How many times in the last month did you BUY chocolate?
M - too many to remember
F - None

How many times in the last month did you EAT chocolate?
M - None
F - too many to remember

You just need to ask the correct question or you get a surprise with the answer!

You ever been in politics?
Old Aug 11th 2004, 10:57 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wantaeflit
My mum is a Canadian citizen and resident in the UK. She has lived in Glasgow (UK) for over 50 years and didn't have any trouble with passport control until post Sept 11th. She went to Canada for her usual 2/3 yearly trip and when she came back through passport control at Glasgow they asked her the usual questions "How long do you plan to stay?" and she answered her usual answer "Forever!" and they were really arsey & rude just as you described Ed. The guy that was at passport control refused to believe that she had never had any problems before and after beeing really rude about it all told her that if she didn't want trouble next time she should either get citizenship in the UK of a letter from the home office or something.
She should have some kind of 'indefinite leave to remain' stamp in her passport to avoid problems at immigration.

She really ought to consider taking British citizenship, although she needs to get completely clear her UK immigration status is ok before doing so. Information on naturalisation is at http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk

Some wealthy people who use 'non-domiciled' tax concessions in the UK have a specific reason not to naturalise as British, but unless this applies to your mother she ought to consider it. She will not lose her Canadian citizenship.

Jeremy
Old Aug 11th 2004, 11:10 pm
squarepants

Not being funny, if I was an immigration officer, and someone with a foreign passport came through and answered like that ( forever ) after asking them how long they are here for, I 'll think they are taking the micky as well.

In this day and age, those guys job's have just been made a little bit more difficult, if you know what I mean. Some might say that answer had a ring of sarcharsm to it !

Originally Posted by wantaeflit

I don't remember exactly what she said that pport control said to her but I remember her saying she was really upset after it. So you would be after a 7 hr flight, what a &!$* of a man.

Similarly, a friend of mine's dad is Canadian and resident in UK and coming back through passport control years ago was asked what proof he had that he lived in the UK to which he pointed at his 4 (grown up) kids and said "them".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.