Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Toronto or Winnipeg?

Toronto or Winnipeg?

Old Jan 11th 2012, 12:45 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toronto or Winnipeg?

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
One wonders when anyone in one of Canada's main cities (let's say a population of at least 75,000) suffered the effects of frost bite.
People freeze to death on the street in Toronto most years. We had a run where there was a corpse on the office steps three weeks in a row. I assume that there are others who don't die but suffer frostbite though, I admit, I've never found any detached body parts.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 3:35 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
People freeze to death on the street in Toronto most years. We had a run where there was a corpse on the office steps three weeks in a row. I assume that there are others who don't die but suffer frostbite though, I admit, I've never found any detached body parts.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 5:47 am
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

you would need to go to BC for severed limbs
Old Jan 11th 2012, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nice

Hi

Can see why most of the homeless end on Vancouver Island!

Couldn't believe how many I saw last time I went. Oh and Vancouver pushing trollies along finding scrap!

I must say didn't see this in Winnipeg or Niagara, only on the US side!

Anyway, everyone has different views of 'The Cold' and I wouldn't be put off. Surely things like your own social interests and what type of job you have to find satisfactory income is more important.

Look you learn to adapt, end off!

Angela
Old Jan 11th 2012, 12:56 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robert_masters
I must say didn't see this in Winnipeg or Niagara, only on the US side!
There are some homeless people in Winnipeg:

http://www.uwinnipeg.ca/index/news-homeless-facts

it may be that you don't notice them because they're aboriginal. I would think that there are plenty in Niagara but it seems a rough place to me so I only go to the tourist sites.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 1:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

In Calgary, when the temperature reaches a certain level below freezing, shelters are opened to ensure that this doesn't happen. I don't doubt for one minute that such a system ensures that everyone has a bed for the night but, in the 5 years that I have lived here, I have never heard of anyone freezing to death.

Ontario strikes me as somewhat strange regarding such issues: people having to have whip rounds to pay for medical fees, people freezing to death on the streets. I thought it was supposed to be the land of milk and honey and Alberta was supposed to be full of "I'm all right Jack" selfish types
Old Jan 11th 2012, 1:13 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Ontario also has warming centers, but just like in Calgary, many homeless people are subject to mental health issues, so they dont necessarily do what logic would dictate.

Id bet homeless people are dying in Calgary too Im afraid, and that people struggle with uncovered health care costs there too
Old Jan 11th 2012, 1:19 pm
Assimilated Pauper

In Calgary, when the temperature reaches a certain level below freezing, shelters are opened to ensure that this doesn't happen.
There are shelters here too and when there's a particularly cold night efforts are made to herd people into them. A significant proportion of homeless people won't go. The Salvation Army and an aboriginal organization, (Anishwabe?) take soup and sleeping bags to the hold outs but still most years some freeze to death.

Ontario strikes me as somewhat strange regarding such issues: people having to have whip rounds to pay for medical fees, people freezing to death on the streets. I thought it was supposed to be the land of milk and honey and Alberta was supposed to be full of "I'm all right Jack" selfish types
I don't think I claimed it to be the land of milk and honey. I thought life for the poor in Ontario was brutal even before Mike Harris.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nice

There are some homeless people in Winnipeg:

http://www.uwinnipeg.ca/index/news-homeless-facts

it may be that you don't notice them because they're aboriginal. I would think that there are plenty in Niagara but it seems a rough place to me so I only go to the tourist sites.
Nope not really! We went a fair distance around Niagara and Areas, didn't find it that rough! Like any area there will always be those areas to stay away from.

I guess you can spend a life time trying finding the perfect place to live. For us it's deciding on a Province, which ever is suited to our needs at the time. From there pick out a desirable area that's affordable and fairly commutable. That's why I think moving on the edge of the city is a better option, maybe 5 miles out max perhaps???

I do know people that live some distance from the city and they're limited, for some examples the weather, shopping or job choices. We have visited Canada a number of times now and seen Niagara, lots of areas in Alberta, lots of areas in Manitoba and Vancouver. For us we're down to Manitoba or Alberta, all depends mainly on the job. Firstly my husband will go alone to Winnipeg and the maybe next to Alberta but who knows next????????? Prob best keep ones options open.

Angela
Old Jan 11th 2012, 1:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Ontario also has warming centers, but just like in Calgary, many homeless people are subject to mental health issues, so they dont necessarily do what logic would dictate.

Id bet homeless people are dying in Calgary too Im afraid, and that people struggle with uncovered health care costs there too
I struggle with uncovered health care costs, I am sure that there are many others that do. I have never heard of anyone freezing to death on the streets of Calgary and, certainly, would deny that it happens so regularly that the workers in a particular building would witness it as regularly as DBD33 did.

There are shelters here too and when there's a particularly cold night efforts are made to herd people into them. A significant proportion of homeless people won't go. The Salvation Army and an aboriginal organization, (Anishwabe?) take soup and sleeping bags to the hold outs but still most years some freeze to death.
I thought that this debate first came about on this thread by comparing the alleged temperatures of one part of the country with those alleged in another. It would appear, from what you have stated above, that the actual temperature has little to do with the likelihood of dying as a result of temperature but more to do with the propensity for people, who want to remain out in deathly temperatures against the advice of others, wanting to live in a particular region.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

I struggle with uncovered health care costs, I am sure that there are many others that do. I have never heard of anyone freezing to death on the streets of Calgary and, certainly, would deny that it happens so regularly that the workers in a particular building would witness it as regularly as DBD33 did.

I thought that this debate first came about on this thread by comparing the alleged temperatures of one part of the country with those alleged in another. It would appear, from what you have stated above, that the actual temperature has little to do with the likelihood of dying as a result of temperature but more to do with the propensity for people, who want to remain out in deathly temperatures against the advice of others, wanting to live in a particular region.
Hi

Yep, yep and yep I agree!
Old Jan 11th 2012, 1:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

It would appear, from what you have stated above, that the actual temperature has little to do with the likelihood of dying as a result of temperature but more to do with the propensity for people, who want to remain out in deathly temperatures against the advice of others, wanting to live in a particular region.
I agree that the actual temperature isn't the determining factor, the government uses some index of temperature and wind chill to decide which nights are designated "round up" ones. The number of such nights per year will be greater in Winnipeg than Toronto so the chance of a homeless person freezing to death will be greater in Winnipeg. A person anticipating being poor would do well not to choose Winnipeg but then that person should choose Victoria or not go to Canada at all.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 1:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

http://edmonton.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...b=EdmontonHome
Old Jan 11th 2012, 1:40 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Two things occur to me; First, Colder is going to mean it takes less time to freeze to death for any given individual. Second,there are a lot more people, homeless or otherwise, in Toronto than Calgary( or Winnipeg).

So it doesnt really suprise me, given the population, that you may be more likely to see deaths in Toronto, there are just more candidates unfortunatley. But if you are on the streets of Calgary or Winnipeg you may be worse off than if your were, well, almost anywhere in the case of Winnipeg.

There is also a suspicion, but I might be way off the mark, that if you were a homeless person with a choice of location you would try and get to somewhere warmer, and/ or with more chance of finding a way to get by, but Toronto can be cold enough to kill too at times.

Sadly I suspect the media is not too interested in reporting the casualties in either Toronto or Calgary, and I also suspect that dbds experience is not entirely representative of the wider population.

Last edited by iaink; Jan 11th 2012 at 1:45 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 1:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by iaink
Sadly I suspect the media is not too interested in reporting the casualties in either Toronto or Calgary, and I also suspect that dbds experience is not entirely representative of the wider population.
Of course it isn't. Most of the population lives in a suburb and has no reason to be downtown at night.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.