Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Toronto or Winnipeg?

Toronto or Winnipeg?

Old Jan 10th 2012, 7:23 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toronto or Winnipeg?

Originally Posted by iaink
I doubt there is a smaller hill in North America than the one I have a season pass for, but its still great fun for me and the kids, and makes winter something to look forward to, rather than endure. YMMV of course

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._5429395_n.jpg
Is that the bunny hill?
Old Jan 10th 2012, 7:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Thats where I guess we have to agree to disagree. I'm perfectly OK out doing things when its -20. Much colder than that and I just start to sieze up and its no fun no matter what I do and what Im wearing

I doubt there is a smaller hill in North America than the one I have a season pass for, but its still great fun for me and the kids, and makes winter something to look forward to, rather than endure. YMMV of course

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._5429395_n.jpg

Is that the full extent of the slope, or is there more after that flat looking bit at the top?
Old Jan 10th 2012, 8:01 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Im afraid that's the entire elevation, all she wrote. Although thats not the "black" face, just the park area.

IIRC its 400ft total elevation more or less, according to my dodgy Suunto device.

I realise there are snow banks taller than that in the real ski areas, so be nice and dont rub it in and I wont point out that my evening lift pass is only $100 for the season.

Last edited by iaink; Jan 10th 2012 at 8:04 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 8:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Im afraid that's the entire elevation, all she wrote. Although thats not the "black" face, just the park area.

IIRC its 400ft total elevation more or less, according to my dodgy Suunto device.

I realise there are snow banks taller than that in the real ski areas, so be nice and dont rub it in and I wont point out that my evening lift pass is only $100 for the season.
From you picture it looks about half the height and about a fifth of the width of the main slope at COP, which is inside the city of Calgary (man made, think Eddie the Eagle). COP does not have a black slope (although it does have a moguls portion) - blue and green is all one can ski there, unless one wishes to play in the full size half pipe, the half size half pipe, the two terrain parks or the jumps area.

$100 a season seems OK. I have no idea what the cost of such a pass at COP in Calgary would be as it takes me almost as long to drive to our nearest slope (Nakiska, think Alberta Tomba, Zubriggen et al.) as it does to get across the city to COP from where I am.

Our family pass at Nakiska is $1,100 or so
Old Jan 10th 2012, 8:23 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robert_masters
As far as the winters go, cold is cold no matter if it's -10, -20, -30 it's bloody cold, especially with wind chill on top!
Those extra 10 or 20 degrees with bit of wind chill can make a significant difference when it come to frost bite..
For example with a 40mph wind
-10 frostbite is unlikely within 2hrs
-20 frostbite will occur in about 10mins
-30 frostbite is down to 4minutes
Old Jan 10th 2012, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Dryden - in the bit of Ontario that everyone forgets about.
rob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of light

From my experience, winter and the cold weather is a non issue when deciding where to live.
We landed in Winnipeg on a very cold day in January - our first ever experience of that type of cold. Our first thoughts were 'blimey, thats cold' - but we expected it and just got on with it.
We now live 4hrs east of Winnipeg and get very similar weather - and love it.
I much prefer -25 here to -5 back in England. Just wrap up and get out there to enjoy it.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 8:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Those extra 10 or 20 degrees with bit of wind chill can make a significant difference when it come to frost bite..
One wonders when anyone in one of Canada's main cities (let's say a population of at least 75,000) suffered the effects of frost bite.

I'll be the first to admit it can get very cold in Calgary. Sometimes, so cold that those of us with bald heads have to wear hats. I have never known anyone suffer from the effects of frostbite and cannot really believe that day to day living in Toronto, Winnipeg, Calgary or St. John's is really that different, purely on the basis of the weather.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

Well, if you are dumb enough to go out without a coat on....
Old Jan 10th 2012, 8:54 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
One wonders when anyone in one of Canada's main cities (let's say a population of at least 75,000) suffered the effects of frost bite.

I'll be the first to admit it can get very cold in Calgary. Sometimes, so cold that those of us with bald heads have to wear hats. I have never known anyone suffer from the effects of frostbite and cannot really believe that day to day living in Toronto, Winnipeg, Calgary or St. John's is really that different, purely on the basis of the weather.
I think its more a question of how many days a year the really cold weather will cramp your style. I have "appropriate clothing", but lets face it, thermals and base layers and two fleeces and a shell starts to get a bit wearing after a while and tends to become a chore after a while.

After riding a desk all week I look forward to getting some fresh air at the weekend and would definitely start to resent having to be holed up for the sake of temps <-20 for too many winter weekend days.

Sure, I have the neoprene face mask and goggles and all that, but there are still some days when beside the fire is the better option.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 9:08 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowshoveller
Well, if you are dumb enough to go out without a coat on....
Well as a the happy owner of a Canadian Goose parka , and some of Sorel's best boots...

I still think its prudent to understand that frostbite times refer to exposed skin
Old Jan 10th 2012, 10:00 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Well as a the happy owner of a Canadian Goose parka , and some of Sorel's best boots...

I still think its prudent to understand that frostbite times refer to exposed skin
I'm with you on this. To suggest that cold is cold, so -10 and -40 are much the same thing, is nonsense. Is +20 and +40 just the same?

Bull.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 10:13 pm
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light

Winnipeg is not hip, cool and trendy like Toronto. The culture is moulded from being a tough blue collar railroad town.
It has a fascinating labour history and produces a healthy percentage of Canada's musicians and sportsmen.
Generally, the people are humble and down to earth, well aware of others perceptions of their city, they are flattered when newcomers choose it as there home.

For some, its supposed shortcomings are its attraction
Old Jan 10th 2012, 10:52 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scimdarren
Winnipeg is not hip, cool and trendy like Toronto. The culture is moulded from being a tough blue collar railroad town.
It has a fascinating labour history and produces a healthy percentage of Canada's musicians and sportsmen.
Generally, the people are humble and down to earth, well aware of others perceptions of their city, they are flattered when newcomers choose it as there home.

For some, its supposed shortcomings are its attraction
Did you ever consider Jarrow?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jarrow
Old Jan 11th 2012, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irish_eyes
Just wondering if any of you have battled with where abouts to move in Canada. We have narrowed it down to Toronto and Winnipeg tho I do see alot of good things about NS. Anyways, would be cool to hear of what others think of the above places. Keeping in mind, we need to go where the work is and want family friendly. All good and bad feedback please.
You're so lucky you're down to a decision of Winnipeg or Toronto. How easy for you.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 12:42 am
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Did you ever consider Jarrow?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jarrow
Hehehe!

I only frequent this forum if I am really bored now, but if there was ever a good reason to sign in, it would be to experience some good old fashioned British 'piss taking'...thankyou!!!

Darren

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.