Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Toronto or Winnipeg?

Toronto or Winnipeg?

Old Jan 9th 2012, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

irish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of light
Default Toronto or Winnipeg?

Just wondering if any of you have battled with where abouts to move in Canada. We have narrowed it down to Toronto and Winnipeg tho I do see alot of good things about NS. Anyways, would be cool to hear of what others think of the above places. Keeping in mind, we need to go where the work is and want family friendly. All good and bad feedback please.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 3:10 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toronto or Winnipeg?

One's called Winterpeg for a reason

I would be forced to recomend Toronto, becasue I can't think of one reason, (not even lots of money) that would get me to Winnipeg...

Driven through once, happy to fly over!

Toronto's seasonal average high tempreture for mid Jan is -2C, Winnipegs is -13C

Last edited by MikeUK; Jan 9th 2012 at 3:15 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 3:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Out of interest, why Winnipeg?

It really will depend on what you're after, Toronto is not my idea of fun but then I hate cities so the industrial sprawl of it doesn't really work for me. But Winnipeg is an unusual choice, so I'm assuming there's a job there or a specific reason for putting it on the short list?

If you can clarify what you're after, then hopefully those that live in Winnipeg or Toronto can help you and let you know if they sound as if they'd suit.

Old Jan 9th 2012, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

You may want to read over this from a Winnipeg perspective
http://www.immigratemanitoba.com/

Currently Manitoba is seeing a very high percentage of new Immigrants as the economy is not stagnant and a very high percentage of newcomers are employed full time within 3 months of arriving.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW I can't think of anywhere in Canada that is not family-friendly. Maybe Fort MacMurray.

Winnipeg is isolating by the fact that there aren't any major cities for a good 8 hour drive (closest being Minneapolis), and there is a lot of visible poverty. There is a bit of history there and a surprising (for its size) arts scene. The people are lovely, but unfortuantely Winnipeg has suffered in past decades. Topography is flat, flat, flat - for thousands of miles, no joke.

Toronto is sprawling, sprawling, sprawling, sprawling - a good choice if you like dining at restaurants, going to pubs, enjoying the occasional concert, etc. But Toronto is hundreds of miles of residential/suburban/industrial sprawl. Take away any romantic notions of the Canada in your mind.

Last edited by Lychee; Jan 9th 2012 at 5:17 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 5:32 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irish_eyes
Just wondering if any of you have battled with where abouts to move in Canada. We have narrowed it down to Toronto and Winnipeg tho I do see alot of good things about NS. Anyways, would be cool to hear of what others think of the above places. Keeping in mind, we need to go where the work is and want family friendly. All good and bad feedback please.
What is the work?

Go where you can get a job, a job in either place will make life a lot more pleasant from both a social and financial viewpoint.

But, given a straight choice, I think Toronto has more to offer, but with a higher cost of admission. Winepeg is pretty remote and as a seasoned canadian resident I would think twice about dealing with the winter out there, never mind coming straight off the plane into it. Not to mention the bugs in the summer.

Personally though I would say the best of Canadian family living is to be found in the many small towns whose names wont mean anything to you. One major city is a lot like another in terms of lifestyle I suspect.

Last edited by iaink; Jan 9th 2012 at 5:34 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

manitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of light

@ Lychee:
ok.. I try not to get too involved when it comes to Winnipeg.. as I don't like cities in generally that much... BUT 1000 of miles flat???? where have you been? You drive 3 hrs and you are in the Riding Mountain National Park and area..which definetely isnt flat..if you can do 1000 miles that fast...hats off .

Thats what happened if ppl only drive down Highway 1... and think thats all there is to it!

Winnipeg is booming, hate to tell you this ...

If I had to pick and chose if Wpg or Toronto, clearly Wpg it would be! (if only because it has a more decent size than monster Toronto)

Wpg might be also looked as an option because of the way of immigrating? PNP?
Old Jan 9th 2012, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

Canuckinuk is an unknown quantity at this point

I am from Winnipeg and my boyfriend from the UK has been here with me since May.

He really enjoys the city. It is big enough that there are things to do yet small enough to have a sense of community.

Winnipeg is booming and was hardly hit by any recession in 2008. With another recession on the horizon it seems like Winnipeg might be a better choice than Toronto.

The housing prices in Winnipeg are fairly reasonable. There is a lot of new growth in the city in the new Waverley West Development.

We have recently welcomed back our NHL team The Winnipeg Jets and we are building a new stadium for our CFL team The Winnipeg Blue Bombers. We have a new international airport terminal that opened in October. An Ikea is being built in the south end of the city.

As far as dining out Winnipeg has more restaurants per capita than any other city in Canada. We also have a baseball team, the Royal Winnipeg Ballet, the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra and the Manitoba Theatre Centre.

As for the weather the city can usually be quite cold in the winter. I will say that this winter has been unusually warm and it is +3 today. The summers are beautiful with many beaches and camping facilities not too far away.

Here is a link with more information on Manitoba:http://www2.immigratemanitoba.com/br.../winnipeg.html
Old Jan 9th 2012, 9:40 pm
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by irish_eyes
Hi

I remember from previous posts that you were an Electrician...

I am not sure about Ontario legislation but Manitoba has an Electricians License Act. The significance of this from an immigrants perspective is that you can only work in the trade as a registered Apprentice or as a fully certified Journeyperson.
This makes it harder for a newcomer to work whilst studying for the Interprovincial Red Seal Exam as you are forbidden to work even as an Electricians Helper.
I suggest you contact the Apprenticeship branches for your preferred provinces and ask relevant questions about how Electricians from other countries integrate. I am not up with current Manitoba initiatives (I passed my exam in '06) but it is well worth enquiring.

...and please try and ignore snooty comments from people that knock another location having never lived there.

Darren
Old Jan 9th 2012, 9:46 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scimdarren
Hi

I am not sure about Ontario legislation but Manitoba has an Electricians License Act. The significance of this from an immigrants perspective is that you can only work in the trade as a registered Apprentice or as a fully certified Journeyperson.
This makes it harder for a newcomer to work whilst studying for the Interprovincial Red Seal Exam as you are forbidden to work even as an Electricians Helper.
I suggest you contact the Apprenticeship branches for your preferred provinces and ask relevant questions about how Electricians from other countries integrate. I am not up with current Manitoba initiatives (I passed my exam in '06) but it is well worth enquiring.

...and please try and ignore snooty comments from people that knock another location having never lived there.

Darren
Its the same in Ontario regarding licensing

And I dont need to live in Winnipeg to know that its significantly colder, for much longer, than Toronto is.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 10:17 pm
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iaink
Its the same in Ontario regarding licensing

And I dont need to live in Winnipeg to know that its significantly colder, for much longer, than Toronto is.
With 25,000 posts to your name, your probably indoors a lot, Manitoba would suit you just fine.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee
FWIW I can't think of anywhere in Canada that is not family-friendly. Maybe Fort MacMurray.

Winnipeg is isolating by the fact that there aren't any major cities for a good 8 hour drive (closest being Minneapolis), and there is a lot of visible poverty. There is a bit of history there and a surprising (for its size) arts scene. The people are lovely, but unfortuantely Winnipeg has suffered in past decades. Topography is flat, flat, flat - for thousands of miles, no joke.

Toronto is sprawling, sprawling, sprawling, sprawling - a good choice if you like dining at restaurants, going to pubs, enjoying the occasional concert, etc. But Toronto is hundreds of miles of residential/suburban/industrial sprawl. Take away any romantic notions of the Canada in your mind.
Not flat were I live, 3 hours from the Peg. Got Turtle Mountain 20 minutes drive away with lakes in Summer and skiing in Winter. Riding National Park 2-3 hours north. Lovely family friendly area, best choice we ever made .

If you live in the city, why would you need another city within 8 hours ?
Old Jan 10th 2012, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

irish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lychee

I got on a bus in Vancouver and saw everything from Vancouver to Toronto so yes I agree its very flat for thousands of miles. I dont have an urge to be outside the area will live in tho as its not practical when you have small kids. Thanks.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scimdarren
Hi

Darren
We have heard that there is no problems working there without or until you do your read seal exam. Tho not sure if you get paid less, still trying to check that out.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by iaink
What is the work?

Go where you can get a job, a job in either place will make life a lot more pleasant from both a social and financial viewpoint.

But, given a straight choice, I think Toronto has more to offer, but with a higher cost of admission. Winepeg is pretty remote and as a seasoned canadian resident I would think twice about dealing with the winter out there, never mind coming straight off the plane into it. Not to mention the bugs in the summer.

Personally though I would say the best of Canadian family living is to be found in the many small towns whose names wont mean anything to you. One major city is a lot like another in terms of lifestyle I suspect.
Totally agree, will go with where the job is for sure. I agree that Toronto may have more to offer, I still like what I am seeing tho about Winnipeg and just cannot rule it out yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.