Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Toronto Suburbs?

Toronto Suburbs?

Old Jun 21st 2017, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toronto Suburbs?

Originally Posted by dbd33 View Post
Anyway, in an effort to move on in a helpful manner, I've been looking all across the GTA and slightly beyond for houses at $500,000. I've looked at far suburbs, rough areas, unfashionable inner burbs, rural locations with an infeasible commute, and, in short, there's nothing. I was amused by the old "why rent when you can own for just this price" pitch on a $599,000 fixer upper in Whitby or Ajax or somewhere else that the GO train eventually goes. I can recall when a "condo alternative" could be had for a quarter million.

I conclude that I could not now afford any of the houses I've owned and I bought them on a third of the current household income. Frankly I don't see much sense in moving to Toronto from the UK at the moment, a major part of the appeal was always having more cash for stuff (tangible and intangible) and that's not on offer right now.

I did like this house, it has a proper lot and costs less than the Burlington one: https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/S...Ontario-N0G2E0
That is nice! Wouldn't want to commute on a daily basis to Toronto from there though.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 2:18 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33 View Post
I did like this house, it has a proper lot...
Not bad.

Looks like you may be able to get a nice football pitch there.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 2:39 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Not bad.

Looks like you may be able to get a nice football pitch there.
Yeah, I reckon Robbie Williams or Rod Stewart might be interested ....
Old Jun 21st 2017, 8:46 am
Banned

h35j34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank again for the info and advice

I will do a fair bit of research into Oakville and Burlington over the next couple week and see what I can find regarding property.

We are fairly open to when we actually make the move the earliest would be Summer 2019 but my wife holds citizenship so if we feel the time is not right we can hold off another year and review.

I understand the comments about its not like back in the day when property was a lot cheaper and living was more disposal income than the UK, but this applies for the UK now also and any major country.

Our desire to move comes from a very long urge to move, live, work aboard and when the opportunity came up for Canada it seemed like a great opportunity as visa cost are very low for us.

We wanted to start a family first as we knew living away from family initially would be too much financially for us, we now feel in 2 years the time will be right, to have a bash at this.

I will also look at the place mentioned in the East, but if anyone has any further comments on the east suburbs please post away.

Thanks
Old Jun 21st 2017, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

Allie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck to you! I posted about Ajax. If you have any specific about Ajax, feel free to message me.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 12:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov View Post
That is nice! Wouldn't want to commute on a daily basis to Toronto from there though.
It's on the way to the barn, I've always thought it looked nice and so, on seeing the signage, rushed to mls. I did commute from a similar location, it was surprisingly expensive in terms of speeding tickets. That one looks like a "hobby farm" that has never been seen by an animal.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 1:50 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by h35j34 View Post
Thank again for the info and advice

I will do a fair bit of research into Oakville and Burlington over the next couple week and see what I can find regarding property.

We are fairly open to when we actually make the move the earliest would be Summer 2019 but my wife holds citizenship so if we feel the time is not right we can hold off another year and review.

I understand the comments about its not like back in the day when property was a lot cheaper and living was more disposal income than the UK, but this applies for the UK now also and any major country.

Our desire to move comes from a very long urge to move, live, work aboard and when the opportunity came up for Canada it seemed like a great opportunity as visa cost are very low for us.

We wanted to start a family first as we knew living away from family initially would be too much financially for us, we now feel in 2 years the time will be right, to have a bash at this.

I will also look at the place mentioned in the East, but if anyone has any further comments on the east suburbs please post away.

Thanks
One note to keep in mind with your potentially SUmmer 2019 timeline would be to start the immigration paperwork in Summer 2018. It will take anywhere from 5 months to 1 year to get your Canadian PR processed, but you can do it in full while you are in the UK and then just land in Canada as a PR with full right to live and work.

Tons of info in the wiki (linked in my signature) about applying as spouses.

If you have kids in the UK, then as soon as they are born you'll want to get right on with getting proof of their Canadian citizenship - both the citizenship certificate AND the passport. Warning, THIS IS NOT A FAST PROCESS. You will need to allow plenty of time to get it sorted, so don't put it off. This thread posted earlier this month is a bit of a cautionary tale on the potential consequences of not having it sorted out: http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...estion-897528/
Old Jun 21st 2017, 3:52 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly View Post
One note to keep in mind with your potentially SUmmer 2019 timeline would be to start the immigration paperwork in Summer 2018. It will take anywhere from 5 months to 1 year to get your Canadian PR processed, but you can do it in full while you are in the UK and then just land in Canada as a PR with full right to live and work.

Tons of info in the wiki (linked in my signature) about applying as spouses.

If you have kids in the UK, then as soon as they are born you'll want to get right on with getting proof of their Canadian citizenship - both the citizenship certificate AND the passport. Warning, THIS IS NOT A FAST PROCESS. You will need to allow plenty of time to get it sorted, so don't put it off. This thread posted earlier this month is a bit of a cautionary tale on the potential consequences of not having it sorted out: http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...estion-897528/
Yeah the current times are 12 months for me and 14 months for my kids, we would all get PR, then once in canada my wife can apply to have the kids as citizens, I will have to wait the usual 5 years or whatever it is now.

Then I understand we have to enter within 12 months of the police check dates.

Thanks
Old Jun 21st 2017, 4:19 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah the current times are 12 months for me and 14 months for my kids, we would all get PR, then once in canada my wife can apply to have the kids as citizens, I will have to wait the usual 5 years or whatever it is now.

Then I understand we have to enter within 12 months of the police check dates.

Thanks
Have you checked to see whether they will be Citizens by birth? If they are, your wife will need to obtain proof of Citizenship for them (and Canandian passports) prior to moving to Canada.

You will need to validate your COPR to become a permanent resident within 1 year of your medical or when your passport expires - whichever date is the earliest - it will show the date your COPR is valid to on it.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 21st 2017 at 5:36 pm. Reason: oops, misread - I see you are planning children, not already got them!
Old Jun 21st 2017, 4:56 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, if your kids are already Canadians, then you won't be able to apply for PR for them because citizens can't be PR. If they will be Canadians when they are born (it depends on the circumstances of how your wife is a Citizen - by birth or by descent etc) then you will HAVE to have their Canadian citizenship in place BEFORE you move, since you can't apply for PR for them, and they can't get an eTA on their British passports, since Canadian citizens aren't eligible for eTAs. So yeah, as soon as kidlets are born, get right on top of getting their citizenship sorted, assuming they qualify through your wife. (If they don't qualify through your wife, then you WILL include them on the PR application.)
Old Jun 21st 2017, 5:56 pm
Banned

Yeah they don't qualify for citizenship so need to go on PR application, my wife is citizen by decent.

Once there she can apply to register them as citizens.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 6:01 pm
Concierge

Yeah they don't qualify for citizenship so need to go on PR application, my wife is citizen by decent.

Once there she can apply to register them as citizens.
Okay, at least you have all that sorted and smooth! Well done on getting that answered ahead of time. Best of luck and please keep us updated!
Old Jun 21st 2017, 6:13 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly View Post
Okay, at least you have all that sorted and smooth! Well done on getting that answered ahead of time. Best of luck and please keep us updated!
Yeah one of the reasons we what to take the opportunity due to the low costs involved in the applications, and smooth process compared to other methods for other countries.

I am just seriously shocked at the housing market so far out, I knew it would be pricey but not on the scale it is, anyway will research the market this week/weekend
Old Jun 21st 2017, 7:42 pm
Banned

I thought I'd start with a quick search in Burlington and I am shocked, looking at min $600k more likely $650-700k for a house, townhouse and tiny plot more likely for $500-550k...not that I didn't people all your posts I just needed to see it for myself.

I am truly stunned at the costs 60km drive out of the city

I think I may have to look at my wife's idea of Calgary

Last edited by h35j34; Jun 21st 2017 at 8:09 pm.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 8:21 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I thought I'd start with a quick search in Burlington and I am shocked, looking at min $600k more likely $650-700k for a house, townhouse and tiny plot more likely for $500-550k...not that I didn't people all your posts I just needed to see it for myself.

I am truly stunned at the costs 60km drive out of the city

I think I may have to look at my wife's idea of Calgary
I'd chillax for now.

The Toronto housing market is imploding as I type.

I dare to think what a property will cost in 2019.

Similarly Calgary's has already imploded so is going the other way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.