Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Toronto Suburbs?

Toronto Suburbs?

Old Jun 27th 2017, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toronto Suburbs?

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Looks to be 180 or so that fit on Realtor.ca.

I like this one...only a dollar
https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/S...rew-Windfields
Originally Posted by Partially discharged
I'd bid about a $1.50 a start a bidding war

How about this tasteful place owned by Robert Herjavic before he got the wandering eye...13 bathrooms ????

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/S...ook-York-Mills

Shark Tank guy Robert Herjavec’s Bridle Path home is for sale
I don't get excited about those places. They're just too big.

Where we live right now they are building 8,000/10,000sqft houses around us. We are renting a place that will soon be knocked down to make way for one of those monstrocities...

I like small houses, they're cosier...
Old Jun 27th 2017, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
I don't get excited about those places. They're just too big.

Where we live right now they are building 8,000/10,000sqft houses around us. We are renting a place that will soon be knocked down to make way for one of those monstrocities...

I like small houses, they're cosier...
8000-10000 ft2 is huge and carries large ongoing costs and big property taxes. Many of those homes have the same # of people as homes of 2000 ft2. Our house is 1750 ft2 (+ basement and garage) for 4 people is fine.

Where in Brampton are they building McMansions as infills now? I lived in Brampton in the early 90's near the '4 corners'. NE Bramalea (Castlemore) was a popular place to build huge monstrosities on large lots with no trees around.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 10:53 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I don't get excited about those places. They're just too big
Buy it for a dollar and sell it for 2.

100% profit and just pay capital gains tax on 50c. You should make about 75c on the deal.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
8000-10000 ft2 is huge and carries large ongoing costs and big property taxes. Many of those homes have the same # of people as homes of 2000 ft2. Our house is 1750 ft2 (+ basement and garage) for 4 people is fine.

Where in Brampton are they building McMansions as infills now? I lived in Brampton in the early 90's near the '4 corners'. NE Bramalea (Castlemore) was a popular place to build huge monstrosities on large lots with no trees around.
Funny you should mention Castlemore. We're at Castlemore and The Gore Rd so those mansions are the ones I was talking about. Except they are multiplying.
The Rogers guy told us he had been to install in a 13,000sqft near us and couldn't remember where he had left his ladder. He had to call the owners on his cell to come to his rescue! Lol
Old Jun 28th 2017, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Buy it for a dollar and sell it for 2.

100% profit and just pay capital gains tax on 50c. You should make about 75c on the deal.
Ok I'll see if the realtor will show it to me tomorrow.
Think about the commission he's going to make!!
Old Jun 28th 2017, 12:58 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Ok I'll see if the realtor will show it to me tomorrow.
Think about the commission he's going to make!!
And for the short period you own it don't forget to charge people for the country chateau tour and maybe rent it out as a movie location too.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

And for the short period you own it don't forget to charge people for the country chateau tour and maybe rent it out as a movie location too.
Good thinking. I wonder if I could be an extra in the movie?
Old Jun 28th 2017, 11:07 am
Banned

h35j34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by h35j34
I was having a look around Ajax area, the south side of the 401...Duffins Bay, Clover Ridge, Pickering Beach, Southwood, lakeside all look nice houses, though still my budget would likely to have to be $550-700k.

I guess its slightly cheaper north side of the 401 and away from the lake but thats just a guess will need to actually look at it.

I am still really surprised at the pricing 50km from the city
So I had a look to the north side of the 401 in Ajax and slightly cheaper than south, not a massive difference.

Either way I'm looking at say $550-$650k in the west and $600-700k in the east for something that would tick most of the boxes for what I am looking for, of course there are more expensive but roughly that's a guide for me

Truly shocked at the prices so far out, but it is what it is and there's a couple years for the market to either stable out or just go even more crazy for me before I'd be looking at it.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 2:09 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by h35j34
So I had a look to the north side of the 401 in Ajax and slightly cheaper than south, not a massive difference.

Either way I'm looking at say $550-$650k in the west and $600-700k in the east for something that would tick most of the boxes for what I am looking for, of course there are more expensive but roughly that's a guide for me

Truly shocked at the prices so far out, but it is what it is and there's a couple years for the market to either stable out or just go even more crazy for me before I'd be looking at it.
Or, of course, for the exchange rate to swing in your favour. That's probably the single biggest factor in the affordability stakes for somebody cashing in equity in the UK to buy a property in Canada. Over the last dozen years that has fluctuated hugely (from a high of up near $2.30 to a low of $1.50 or so to the pound). I suspect you'd be best off not sweating it too much until it's closer to the time you move... the only thing you'll do is raise your blood pressure with exasperation!
Old Jun 28th 2017, 2:44 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Or, of course, for the exchange rate to swing in your favour. That's probably the single biggest factor in the affordability stakes for somebody cashing in equity in the UK to buy a property in Canada....
I should say so!!

Between agreement date and completion date - a two month period in 2005 and not the most startling change there's been - the $120k house I bought went from £51k to just over £54k.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 2:54 pm
Banned

h35j34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Or, of course, for the exchange rate to swing in your favour. That's probably the single biggest factor in the affordability stakes for somebody cashing in equity in the UK to buy a property in Canada. Over the last dozen years that has fluctuated hugely (from a high of up near $2.30 to a low of $1.50 or so to the pound). I suspect you'd be best off not sweating it too much until it's closer to the time you move... the only thing you'll do is raise your blood pressure with exasperation!
Yes not forgetting the exchange rate this will be a big player in when I actually transfer the cash/buy
Old Jun 30th 2017, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

sunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond reputesunshinedust has a reputation beyond repute

Looks to be 180 or so that fit on Realtor.ca.

I like this one...only a dollar
https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/S...rew-Windfields
I lived round the corner from this place while it was being built back in 2012-13. Its possibly the most hideous house I have ever laid eyes on. I remember one of the builders died after falling from the roof, due to shoddy safety practices. Nasty stuff.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 7:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunshinedust
I lived round the corner from this place while it was being built back in 2012-13. Its possibly the most hideous house I have ever laid eyes on.
I've just looked, it really is! My mother always says money can't buy taste, and that house is a prime example of that. Looks like something a Kardashian would build. *shudder*
Old Jun 30th 2017, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunshinedust
I lived round the corner from this place while it was being built back in 2012-13. Its possibly the most hideous house I have ever laid eyes on. I remember one of the builders died after falling from the roof, due to shoddy safety practices. Nasty stuff.
Is there any real difference between this:

https://goo.gl/maps/nt6DMzvSQxu

and this lovely streetscape

https://goo.gl/maps/r8AaVP4sdWx
Old Jun 30th 2017, 10:32 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I've just looked, it really is! My mother always says money can't buy taste, and that house is a prime example of that. Looks like something a Kardashian would build. *shudder*
Well it's not my taste either but inside it looks like so many European palaces or stately homes.

Buck House, Winter Palace, Monaco, Versaille...I don't think they are considered ugly or tacky are they?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.