Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Too many Brits?

Wikiposts

Too many Brits?

Old Apr 5th 2011, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Too many Brits?

Originally Posted by dbd33
Half and half. Color and thru are usual but there's less use of z in Canada than in the US.

Someone wishing to see real Canada should try a week in Dundalk Ontario. Assuming of course that the person is white and a practising Christian.
I always thought Dundalk was like like Deliverance. having spent most holidays there the past 7 years as my ex in laws lived on Main Street. there a funny bunch the Dundalkarians. there pretty fiesty about there little shitty town and about how great living in the swamp err i mean country is, yet they are jealous of anyone who made it out LOL
Old Apr 5th 2011, 2:48 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britishvixen21
I always thought Dundalk was like like Deliverance. having spent most holidays there the past 7 years as my ex in laws lived on Main Street. there a funny bunch the Dundalkarians. there pretty fiesty about there little shitty town and about how great living in the swamp err i mean country is, yet they are jealous of anyone who made it out LOL
"Scumdalk" is what they call it in Melancthon. Lots of cases of the "Dufferin County Nose" there.

(For the few people unfamiliar with Ontario's high country, the nose is a characteristic of the long term population, it takes a while to be able to tell people apart based just on their appearance).
Old Apr 5th 2011, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

"Scumdalk" is what they call it in Melancthon. Lots of cases of the "Dufferin County Nose" there.

(For the few people unfamiliar with Ontario's high country, the nose is a characteristic of the long term population, it takes a while to be able to tell people apart based just on their appearance).
HAHAHAA i know that nose well, and they all have the same last name, but not in a good way. The kids are like something from children of the corn! LOL i used to tell my ex he was lucky he was adopted!

They didnt like me much cos i wasnt a Canadian, so god only knows what Easter will be like when he takes his new Jamaican GF home!

Last edited by britishvixen21; Apr 5th 2011 at 3:23 am.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 4:10 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britishvixen21
They didnt like me much cos i wasnt a Canadian, so god only knows what Easter will be like when he takes his new Jamaican GF home!
Oh my. A Dufferin County cop told me "there's lots of diversity in the county". I pointed out that the census shows less than 1% is non-white" and he adjusted "lots of diversity in white people". That said, I did once see a black man once at the feed mill in Shelburne, I don't suppose tourists buy feed so there's at least one foreign person north of 89.

Last edited by dbd33; Apr 5th 2011 at 4:18 am.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Oh my. A Dufferin County cop told me "there's lots of diversity in the county". I pointed out that the census shoes less than 1% is non-white" and he adjusted "lots of diversity in white people". That said, I did once see a black man once at the feed mill in Shelburne, I don't suppose tourists buy feed so there's at least one foreign person north of 89.
HAHAHA i seem to remember the only 'diverse' people in Dundalk where the Koreans that ran the smoke shop. poor b*******s. came all the way from Korea to live in that dump. and everyone always treated them like sh*t. i always felt really bad for them.

I kind of think a Eater in dundalk is a fitting punishment for the Jamaican seeing as she ran off with my ex
Old Apr 8th 2011, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by millicent
Americanisation is the root of all evil - materialistic, lazy, insular, humourless and boring.
We lived in Canada for a few years - Canadians live to work, they don't work to have a life.
The monotonous scenery, the looooong winters and loooooong drives are boring like the Canadians.
So happy to be home in beautiful diverse historic UK
Theres always one!
Old Apr 8th 2011, 3:31 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by millicent
Americanisation is the root of all evil - materialistic, lazy, insular, humourless and boring.
We lived in Canada for a few years - Canadians live to work, they don't work to have a life.
The monotonous scenery, the looooong winters and loooooong drives are boring like the Canadians.
So happy to be home in beautiful diverse historic UK
Four posts. All negative. Clearly someone with a bad experience in Canada. Care to share more? Or are you all about the negative with no attempt at context?
Old Apr 8th 2011, 3:37 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Four posts. All negative. Clearly someone with a bad experience in Canada. Care to share more? Or are you all about the negative with no attempt at context?
There's context there. It's the Canadian and American context that millicent obviously finds objectionable.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 6:05 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
There's context there. It's the Canadian and American context that millicent obviously finds objectionable.
- Yes, along, quite evidently with the Canadians......
Old Apr 8th 2011, 6:22 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Am now adding Dundalk to list of places to visit, along with Alabama.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

dave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Not sure how to put this, but you do know Canada really isn't that different? Of course there are differences, but if I wanted an adventure and to live in another culture I think I would look for somewhere a bit more exciting.
Too true.

When I was 14 my family upped and left for France-talk about an adventure. Trying to adapt to French ways, learning their language, fighting the hundred years war all over again, wondering where the entente cordiale was, constant fights at school, but it all came right when I was walking through the village and a British tourist stopped his car and asked me, in halting French, the way to the local supermarket. Without thinking I answered in French. The tourist went red in the face and started ranting at me, in English about "bloody frogs and why couldn't we speak English.
If I was a student again, and I wanted to experience a different culture, I would certainly look for something a bit more exciting than an English millieu. How about China? Lots of young people are going there to study now. Could be an advantage as soon there will be a new B.E. forum about Brit expats in China.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 8:53 am
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose
As for spelling, my experience (here in Calgary) is the opposite of dbd's.
"-our" is used in preference to "-or", and the "-ize" is used in preference to "-ise".

This web-site: http://www3.telus.net/linguisticsiss...anAmerican.htm would seem to support my view, but spelling is so inconsistent here anyway, that's it's hard to say which is "correct".
In my experience either English English or American English spellings are acceptable. However, most of my clients are 'Mericans, so these days I use 'Merican spellingz at work, and stick to English English at home.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 10:24 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave2003
...How about China? Lots of young people are going there to study now. Could be an advantage as soon there will be a new B.E. forum about Brit expats in China.
There is already... http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=151
Old Apr 11th 2011, 2:45 am
Just Joined

Paulious is an unknown quantity at this point

I considered France but decided against it because my language skills aren't quite up to par for working in France. It's perhaps harder for British people to go to a country speaking another language because we're not brought up knowing other languages, but also other countries aren't accustomed to hearing their language spoken in a British accent, which compounds the problem. Given that I can't understand half of the British accents, it's no surprise.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 8:00 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Paulious, you have a good point. It is much harder work to get accepted in France. I 'think' I have settled in well here, and having kids here has helped. I get cross when so many English people who have chosen to make their homes here make quite so few efforts with the language. France is also 'impossible' if you have a non-European husband! The paperwork is a nightmare. I love the idea that Canada has so many different nationalities but with a spirit of inclusivity, even if it may not always be apparent. There are many splendid aspects to life in France but inclusivity certainly isn't one of them.