Reload this Page >

Too many Brits?

Wikiposts

Too many Brits?

Old Apr 3rd 2011, 3:36 am
Just Joined

Paulious is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Too many Brits?

@fledermaus, well if Canada turns out to be more like the UK then so be it. What I meant was that I want to have Canadian friends, not just stick to my own sub-community whilst I live there. I don't mind knowing British people too, but I don't want to know so many that all I know are British people.

From what I have read, Canada is more like America than it is like Britain. I've always been fascinated by how different things are in American compared to Britain. I'm even more intrigued by the differences between Canada and America. Ultimately I chose Canada on the basis that the people are friendly, they want software engineering graduates and the scenery is various and fantastic.

The truest description is that Canada is most like Canada.

@Lorna_D, does my above comment redeem me?
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 4:40 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

As for spelling, my experience (here in Calgary) is the opposite of dbd's.
"-our" is used in preference to "-or", and the "-ize" is used in preference to "-ise".

This web-site: http://www3.telus.net/linguisticsiss...anAmerican.htm would seem to support my view, but spelling is so inconsistent here anyway, that's it's hard to say which is "correct".

As for the too many Brits? (original question) the more you avoid the well-known, touristy places (like Banff) the less likely an issue this will be.
But anywhere you do go you can (probably) seek out ex-pats, with varying degrees of ease or difficulty, should you wish to.

In my line of work I meet a lot of people, and the smiling "I DO love your accent" is getting increasingly irritating, as it generally means they are not concentrating at all on what I am actually saying!

Last edited by Alberta_Rose; Apr 3rd 2011 at 4:43 am.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 6:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose
In my line of work I meet a lot of people, and the smiling "I DO love your accent" is getting increasingly irritating, as it generally means they are not concentrating at all on what I am actually saying!
Think of the hot Canadian guys...
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

canbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to behold

Most people I meet here in Canada, say their English anyway, so I feel right at home.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 6:25 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

To Many Brits

We don't have any Brit friends here. Just US, Jamaican, Canadian, south American, Serbian, Indian, ect.

Have noticed one or two English accents, now and again, mainly in Sobey's, and a few scots accents.

Thats what you will get in Canada, immigrants.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 8:24 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Are there any videos to help immigrants integrate into Canada?
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 8:27 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Are there any videos to help immigrants integrate into Canada?
Canadian Tire make the come to Canada vids now, did you not know...Dohh
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

mardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paulious
In several months I'll go to Canada via BUNAC to work for a year. I'm planning a little scouting trip to get a feel before hand.

The aim of going is really just to experience living in another culture. I keep hearing of these ex-pat communities of Brits and Aussies that apparently do nothing but bitch about Canada... which seems strange to me considering no one is forcing them to stay there.

Perhaps people expect too much perfection and forget that every country has the good, the bad and the ugly.

I'm a bit worried about being surrounded by too many Brits, as I don't want to move to a mini-Britain, I want to go to Canada. I like the idea of Americanization I hear Canadians chirping on about. Originally Toronto was on the cards, but having read more about Canada, I think Vancouver, Montreal, and other places are definitely on the table (the purposes of a scouting visit).

What are your experiences?
My experience is that I have a mixture of both. I love my English friends as much as my Canadian friends. However, I love my English friends because we all have the same thing in common we left the UK because we couldn't stand the place so the only bitching we do is about shitey blightey!!
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Might want to avoid Cochrane AB then!
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 10:18 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

From what I have read, Canada is more like America than it is like Britain. I've always been fascinated by how different things are in American compared to Britain. I'm even more intrigued by the differences between Canada and America.
After umpteen years of working both I've come to the view that the difference is that parts of America are warm.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 10:26 am
Just Joined

@mardyarse, ah well, I guess you get to choose how much you embed yourself in ex-pat communities

@dbd33, and they have a different sense of humour!
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 10:30 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

@mardyarse, ah well, I guess you get to choose how much you embed yourself in ex-pat communities

@dbd33, and they have a different sense of humour!
No, they have the same absence of humour.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 11:29 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Think of the hot Canadian guys...
mmm at my age and stage? ... anyway, most of the people saying it are female anyway ... and mostly even older than me!
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 12:22 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Canadian Tire make the come to Canada vids now, did you not know...Dohh
This is an irony free zone apparently.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

HSJones is an unknown quantity at this point

I came here on a BUNAC visa 2 yrs ago. 2 yrs down the line I find myself with a mixture of friends, however most of the Canadians I call friends were made through my Canadian OH.

Though my initial aim was to have mainly Canadian friends it's pretty tough. The folk I met through my job were all around my age but after a long stressful day at work the last thing I wanted to do was hang out with them and discuss work. And now, even though I no longer work there, I have such a dislike for the company due to the stresses of being there I don't want to hang out with any old colleagues!

Locals already have their group of friends - from school and uni - and so it's tough to break into a local group of friends. It will take years to forge friendships here - so don't expect too much too soon. I have thrown myself into Meet-Ups, but you'll often find people who attend Meet-Ups are new to a place and also trying to make friends. They could be Canadian but probably aren't local-grown folks. Surely a Vancouverite in Toronto is as much a newcomer as a Brit in Toronto? They are just as far from their homeland!

I have to say my closest friends are Brits as I have managed to connect with a group of ladies all in the same position as me - here because of falling in love with a Canadian and because it was the best choice for love to last, not necessarily a move we would have made had love not been involved. We are all trying to settle and find people we have things in common with. That's not to say we bitch about Canada (well just our immigration wait!) and we get to try new things together!

As others have said, you can definitely avoid Brits, but it might come to it that you need a bit of British humour/company every now and again - and it's nothing to shy away from and be ashamed of! And as a BUNAC visa holder you should be also trying to avoid all the other Irish/Ozzie/Kiwi immigrants too I'd say!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.