Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Tips on surviving the Mother in Law Visit

Tips on surviving the Mother in Law Visit

Old Dec 12th 2008, 11:26 pm
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tips on surviving the Mother in Law Visit

Go on holiday and let her house sit!

I had this problem with some of our visitors this year - never saw much of them in the UK and then suddenly they are staying with you for 4 weeks!
Old Dec 12th 2008, 11:32 pm
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
She's not difficult to get along with really. I'm pretty lucky. Mrs Rich is her only daughter and her husband died a few years ago. She's helped us out a great deal in the past, so it's only right we take care of her.

We're open enough with her that any little irritating habits or issues that inevitably occur, we tell her straight up. She has to just accept ours
I think this is the key to success, nip the problems in the bud before they fester - easier said than done I know. My MIL was hell and she lived to be 95 - bless her!
Old Dec 13th 2008, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Southcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of light

Rich - you are a saint - there is no other word for it.

Don't get me wrong, there isn't anything major about her that bugs me, it's the little things - but they seem to add up. If I thought she was only staying a few more days I think I'd be fine - but another 4.5 weeks doesn't sound particularly good. Some good tips here. I will do more DIY on the basement, like the idea of driving somewhere to take the dog for a walk (anyone been to Point Pleasant Park in Halifax ?) and will definately drink more !!!!
Old Dec 13th 2008, 12:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Southcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Granma Nessie
Being a mother -in -law myself and planning to go for a 4 week visit to Canada in the New Year what ground rules should I be sticking to do you reckon? I have visited a good few times in the past but would like to know what are definite no no s for a visiting mother-in-law.
I do get on great with my daughter and her hubby but it is good to know what irritates other son/daughter -in-laws.

Granma Nessie
Best tip - try and do some things independently if you can and give your son & daughter in law some time without you. I reckon this will work even if you ask them for a lift somewhere to have an evening out or day out without them. If you can get away for a couple of days or so - even better
Old Dec 13th 2008, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

Being a mother -in -law myself and planning to go for a 4 week visit to Canada in the New Year what ground rules should I be sticking to do you reckon? I have visited a good few times in the past but would like to know what are definite no no s for a visiting mother-in-law.
I do get on great with my daughter and her hubby but it is good to know what irritates other son/daughter -in-laws.

Granma Nessie
Do not clean the kitchen at 6.45am.

Try not to have an "silent tut" thing going on.

I'm happier now my MiL feels able to put her feet up and actually relax in my house.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

yorkie lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Southcote
I need help. My mother in Law has come to visit, she's only been here 2 days and there is another 33 to go.

Before we moved over to NS she used to come and stay for the odd night, but that wasn't so bad as I could cope (reasonably well) with short visits. I reckon in another day or so I'll be ready for her to go home, but she'll have another 4.5 weeks over here. What can I do ?????? Any tips apart from drinking myself silly ?
Best one I can think of is find a nice motel to put her in........or yourself!!
Old Dec 13th 2008, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Granma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond repute

Best tip - try and do some things independently if you can and give your son & daughter in law some time without you. I reckon this will work even if you ask them for a lift somewhere to have an evening out or day out without them. If you can get away for a couple of days or so - even better
Thanks to all for their good tips. I will take all on board , keeping my knickers safely out of view and my hands out of the kitchen at ungodly hours, outdoor shoes off (will take my slippers though as the hardwood floors are a bit too hard for my old feet!) and try and disappear off on my own for long walks to take in the scenic beauty and potential house hunt for the future. And of course I can kidnap my granddaughter and take her off to the mall for a bit of spoiling

Granma Nessie
Old Dec 14th 2008, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

OnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to all

My inlaws stayed for 3 weeks recently and we just asked that they stay out of the way when we were rushing around in the morning and it worked out well. My FIL likes to get up during the night too and was worried he would disrupt us so we made up a tray on their first day and left it in their room on a nest of tables - like you would have in a B&B with a travel kettle, tea, coffee and cereal bars. I guess it helped that they had a washroom off their bedroom too.

But 3 weeks is a long time....we did enjoy it and missed them once they were gone; the house seemed very quiet.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

............potential house hunt for the future..................
Granma Nessie
Do they know about this ??????
Old Dec 14th 2008, 2:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to all for their good tips.
Top tip from a daughter-in-law - respect their rules for their children and how they are choosing to raise them, even if you don't necessarily agree with them!

I am fed up of my in-laws (who are well aware of the rules we have for our kids) feeding them constant sweets, letting them stay up late, making my son skip his nap because they want to take him and show him off around their friends, etc. Then they hand them back and we have two sleep deprived, E numbers stuffed, sugar high children for the next couple of days who are horrendous!! Drives me mad! Mother-in-law even gave my daughter solid food at 3 months old (when I was still breastfeeding and had no intention of giving her solids for at least another month), telling me I was being 'silly' about it and she knew best. GRRRRR!!!! I could list loads of other stuff i.e. not bothering to put them in their car seats in the car ('we never had them in my day and my children were fine'), giving them salt in food when babies, etc, etc.

Basically, ask them first (i.e. if your granddaughter misbehaves, how do they want you to discipline her etc) and follow their rules! My in-laws have always been great and I really liked them until I had children. Just a clash of child raising ethics I guess (luckily hubby agrees with me rather than them) but it does make it awkward.

Hope that helps! Good luck, have a great visit.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Granma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond repute

Do they know about this ??????
Oh yes they know as they are sponsoring me to come over so I will need my own space eventually but I expect to be involved with picking up granddaughter from school etc etc and in return they won't let me starve.... I don't mind eating all the leftovers and I may use my son-in-law's muscles for the snowclearing.

Granma Nessie
Old Dec 14th 2008, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh yes they know as they are sponsoring me to come over so I will need my own space eventually but I expect to be involved with picking up granddaughter from school etc etc and in return they won't let me starve.... I don't mind eating all the leftovers and I may use my son-in-law's muscles for the snowclearing.

Granma Nessie
Ah, that works. I did just wonder for a minute.........
Old Dec 15th 2008, 12:10 am

Rainey69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Tips on surviving the Mother in Law Visit

I need help. My mother in Law has come to visit, she's only been here 2 days and there is another 33 to go.

Before we moved over to NS she used to come and stay for the odd night, but that wasn't so bad as I could cope (reasonably well) with short visits. I reckon in another day or so I'll be ready for her to go home, but she'll have another 4.5 weeks over here. What can I do ?????? Any tips apart from drinking myself silly ?
I hear Mexico is quite nice this time of year and flights are relatively cheap!!!