Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Tips on surviving the Mother in Law Visit

Tips on surviving the Mother in Law Visit

Old Dec 12th 2008, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of light
Default Tips on surviving the Mother in Law Visit

I need help. My mother in Law has come to visit, she's only been here 2 days and there is another 33 to go.

Before we moved over to NS she used to come and stay for the odd night, but that wasn't so bad as I could cope (reasonably well) with short visits. I reckon in another day or so I'll be ready for her to go home, but she'll have another 4.5 weeks over here. What can I do ?????? Any tips apart from drinking myself silly ?
Old Dec 12th 2008, 1:07 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tips on surviving the Mother in Law Visit

Originally Posted by Southcote
I need help. My mother in Law has come to visit, she's only been here 2 days and there is another 33 to go.

Before we moved over to NS she used to come and stay for the odd night, but that wasn't so bad as I could cope (reasonably well) with short visits. I reckon in another day or so I'll be ready for her to go home, but she'll have another 4.5 weeks over here. What can I do ?????? Any tips apart from drinking myself silly ?
Take up a new hobby that takes you away from everyone else and into a quiet space...like yoga or something
Old Dec 12th 2008, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Take up a new hobby that takes you away from everyone else and into a quiet space...like yoga or something
I did get a dog, but as she's just a puppy the walks only take 20 minutes of so which isn't really helping. I guess I could drive her somewhere to take her for a walk .................
Old Dec 12th 2008, 1:12 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Drink yourself silly. I suggest Labatt Blue. You will soon be farting so badly, she'll want to leave.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 1:12 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

I did get a dog, but as she's just a puppy the walks only take 20 minutes of so which isn't really helping. I guess I could drive her somewhere to take her for a walk .................
Cape Breton perhaps - I hear the Cabot Trail is fabulous...
Old Dec 12th 2008, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Drink yourself silly. I suggest Labatt Blue. You will soon be farting so badly, she'll want to leave.
You haven't met my MOL - I'll just be keeping up with her if I do that !!
Old Dec 12th 2008, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

I just got a puppy and asked the vet about walks as I thought 2 x 15 mins was a bit short and the vet says if see how the dog is and then decide.

This is the 1st week of walks and she's happy to walk for quite a long way, then asks to be picked up! We also take her in the car a lot to go walks, so there's your answer! Nice cage with bed and she goes to sleep. We also give her a carrot to munch...

I sympathise, my MiL has been a nightmare since I got the dog as she has very firm ideas on pup's welfare. I now know what she would be like if I had kids and it's as bad as I had envisaged.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have kids? Can she babysit while you have a night out?
Old Dec 12th 2008, 1:28 pm

You haven't met my MOL - I'll just be keeping up with her if I do that !!
How the hell did you get yourself into the situation in the first place? Five weeks is a ridiculously long visit.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
Do you have kids? Can she babysit while you have a night out?
Yes we do, and thats the only real benefit of the next 5 weeks !!!!
Old Dec 12th 2008, 1:37 pm

Yes we do, and thats the only real benefit of the next 5 weeks !!!!
I see a solution. Keep the kids on a high-sugar, high-caffeine diet. I'm thinking chocolate-covered coffee beans. Wear her out.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 1:38 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Could you send her on a few mini sightseeing trips for a few days at a time perhaps?

You could also make yourself scarce/useful by tackling all those DIY jobs/tidying the garage/etc that you had planned to do in the past.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 1:41 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

5 weeks is an awfully long time for anyone to visit.

My MIL was a nightmare, but she is not longer with us and nightmare she was, we did have some good times. When I really couldn't cope I faked a headache and went to lie down for a bit.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim
You could also make yourself scarce/useful by tackling all those DIY jobs/tidying the garage/etc that you had planned to do in the past.
I have used this tactic. It works best in summer. Not so appealing in mid-winter.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tell me about it - 5 weeks sounds like forever !

I have held off doing work on the basement until she got here, so I can disappear down there every now and then. I like the idea of driving off somewhere far away to walk the dog though - that could have some merit in it.

Drinking heavily sounds good too. Not so sure about the kids diet - she won't be able to cope and we'll have to sort them out ....................

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.