Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is their any doubt the lunatics are running the asylum??

Is their any doubt the lunatics are running the asylum??

Old Dec 15th 2006, 5:04 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is their any doubt the lunatics are running the asylum??

Nothing wrong with skepticism about the motivations of everyone in the public eye, not just the outwardly religious!

It would be hypocritical in the extreme for a privately religious person not to be influenced in their public life by their faith, its not like you have a faith on / faith off switch, you either believe or you don't. What I find scarier is the prospect of a politician with little personal faith turning it on as necessary to prod the right political buttons (Im talking about you Dubya!)

It would however be wrong for a politician in a position of power to impose his religious view in spite of a majority with contrary views, so I have to say I was surprisingly impressed when Harper did not impose his will over the Gay Marriage issue. He said his bit and then accepted the decision regardless of his personal position.

Last edited by iaink; Dec 15th 2006 at 5:28 pm.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

pint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dbd33
though I believe Mother Teresa to have been something of a self-aggrandizing charlatan.
That other C-word comes to my mind.

( See you in hell. )
Old Dec 15th 2006, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

pint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iaink
It would however be wrong for a politician in a position of power to impose his religious view in spite of a majority with contrary views, so I have to say I was surprisingly impressed when Harper did not impose his will over the Gay Marriage issue.
That's assuming Harper's religious beliefs mean more to him than his need for power of others.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 5:17 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pint princess
That's assuming Harper's religious beliefs mean more to him than his need for power of others.
True, hes a very shrewd politician, but I still think he deserves a little credit for not frothing at the mouth too much
Old Dec 15th 2006, 6:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
It would be hypocritical in the extreme for a privately religious person not to be influenced in their public life by their faith, its not like you have a faith on / faith off switch, you either believe or you don't.

It would however be wrong for a politician in a position of power to impose his religious view in spite of a majority with contrary views, so I have to say I was surprisingly impressed when Harper did not impose his will over the Gay Marriage issue. He said his bit and then accepted the decision regardless of his personal position..
I don't think that's the case at all. I doubt many people take the strictures of their nominal religion seriously. A few do, but for example, it's now quite rare to hear of families of fourteen children so we can say that less parents take their Catholicism seriously. I think it quite reasonable to expect people to keep their superstitions to themselves.

You cite Harper as an example of a man who can turn his religion off for the benefit of his career but I'm afraid I have a lower opinion of him than that, I think he has a religion of convenience.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 6:53 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm afraid I have a lower opinion of him than that, I think he has a religion of convenience.
With these PCon / former SC types I see it as a ghoul lurking in the backgound. Having worked with and spoken/debated with a few PC types here ('Bertans, natch) they appear outwardly different that their closet witch-hunt/cross burning deeply embedded true persona.

Beware of ghouls young Jedi. Hard to see in the dark, they are. :scared:

Rich.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 7:16 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

I don't think that's the case at all. I doubt many people take the strictures of their nominal religion seriously. A few do, but for example, it's now quite rare to hear of families of fourteen children so we can say that less parents take their Catholicism seriously. I think it quite reasonable to expect people to keep their superstitions to themselves.

You cite Harper as an example of a man who can turn his religion off for the benefit of his career but I'm afraid I have a lower opinion of him than that, I think he has a religion of convenience.
Actually, that wasn't quite what I was arguing, I don't think he does turn it on and off for convenience, he still believes what he believes, and stated as much in public, but he has not gone and imposed his will against the views of majority on this occasion.

You would no doubt be amazed that all sorts of good christians pick and chose which parts of the overall doctrine they chose to apply to their daily life. People with faith do also have a brain and are able to make decisions regarding for example the wisdom of having a large family, without necessarily having to do exactly what the pope...a fellow unlikely to personally experience the cost and occasional hardships of parenthood, might decide to preach. I find it rather odd to have a bunch of celibate men offering advice on sexual relations at the best of time...walk the walk, talk the talk and all that.

I'm pretty sure its possible to subscribe to a set of christian values without having to necessarily literally believe in the parting of the red sea, walking on water, virgin birth, or even the resurrection, after all there are plenty of people who would subscribe to the view that friends and relatives live on metaphorically in our memories long after the flesh is gone. I dont believe in God, but I do try and live in what might be regarded as a christian way, only without the ceremonial nonsense and "superstition".

What you see as superstitions, other people believe to be articles of faith, and unfortunately a sincere faith cant be turned on and off at will. Even if some people cherry pick which bits they are going to believe in, they still believe in them 24/7!

Last edited by iaink; Dec 15th 2006 at 7:51 pm.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 7:27 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pint princess
That other C-word comes to my mind.

( See you in hell. )
Can't see me going anywhere else: all my friends and family will be there.

Come on in. The water's lovely.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

Eh? Religion has no place being funded by tax money, if an atheist moves to eliminate people of religion from positions of influence in public funded organizations, such as the BCC, he or she is performing a civic duty.
O.K. I therefore finance (through taxation) an effort to eliminate me from any position of influence, and do it with a smile of contentment. I guess you would say my Religion is insane?
Old Dec 15th 2006, 9:37 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Does that mean the only place for C-tree and symbols will be at Non-christian places so they don't offend Christians by not showing their multiculture acceptance?

---- Another point ---
"This is stupidity and takes political correctness to new heights," said Farzana Hassan, president of the Muslim Canadian Congress.

"We should ban political correctness, not the Christmas tree."

The Canadian Jewish Congress agreed it would have been a nice gesture to include decorations from other faiths, but opted not to dignify what it considered a non-issue.

"This, in one way or another, comes up every year and I think it's just part of a multicultural society's growing pains," said CJC executive vice-president Manuel Prutschi.

Mr. Prutschi said he himself would not be offended by the sight of a Christmas tree in a courthouse or government building.

"The presence of the Christmas tree is a symbol for a lot of people — believing Christians and perhaps non-believers — of a joyous holiday, and we respect that and acknowledge that."
All from the Global and Mail site
Old Dec 15th 2006, 10:07 pm
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I think the world today has gone mad on "not offending" particular minorities. If I were a minority religous group and the predominant religous group in the country I emmigrated to (or grew up in as second/third gen) were bending over backward to "not offend" me or my religion, I would find THAT in itself to be more offensive then the actual perpitiuation of religious holiday celebrations. There is nothing more exlsuive then changing your natural behaviour to "adapt" to the 'foreigners' in your midst, I far prefered being made fun of as speaking strange when I moved to Canada over being the cause of why so many Canadians need to hide or be ashamed of what the country is.

Hope that makes sense!
Old Dec 16th 2006, 1:53 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gezza
O.K. I therefore finance (through taxation) an effort to eliminate me from any position of influence, and do it with a smile of contentment. I guess you would say my Religion is insane?
I think belief in your religion would be irrational though not insane. Insanity exempts one from religion.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 2:13 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daedra
Personally I think the world today has gone mad on "not offending" particular minorities. If I were a minority religous group and the predominant religous group in the country I emmigrated to (or grew up in as second/third gen) were bending over backward to "not offend" me or my religion, I would find THAT in itself to be more offensive then the actual perpitiuation of religious holiday celebrations. There is nothing more exlsuive then changing your natural behaviour to "adapt" to the 'foreigners' in your midst, I far prefered being made fun of as speaking strange when I moved to Canada over being the cause of why so many Canadians need to hide or be ashamed of what the country is.

Hope that makes sense!
Well you may hope so, but it doesn't make sense at all. What is it you're trying to say exactly (or even roughly)?
Old Dec 16th 2006, 3:07 am
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Well you may hope so, but it doesn't make sense at all. What is it you're trying to say exactly (or even roughly)?
Right rough draft of what I said... if I were classed in the 'minority' groups that might be offended by displays of religion in the country I moved to, I would find the exemption of religous items/traditions far more isolating and uncomfortable then just being a newcomer.

Hows that, better Novo?
Old Dec 16th 2006, 3:23 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daedra
Right rough draft of what I said... if I were classed in the 'minority' groups that might be offended by displays of religion in the country I moved to, I would find the exemption of religous items/traditions far more isolating and uncomfortable then just being a newcomer.

Hows that, better Novo?
Much. See, it's also shorter.

But you still need to deconvolute religious practices from traditions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.