Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is their any doubt the lunatics are running the asylum??

Is their any doubt the lunatics are running the asylum??

Old Dec 16th 2006, 1:40 am
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is their any doubt the lunatics are running the asylum??

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Much. See, it's also shorter.

But you still need to deconvolute religious practices from traditions.
The statement I made covers both religious items & practise as well as traditions as my point was indicating both of them. Attending Christ's mass on x-mas eve is one thing, putting up an evergreen tree in your living room is another.

The Christmas traditions we have today, wreaths, trees, mistetoe, and so on, have been added in through centuries in order to adapt many of the pagan festivals of mid-winter.

http://www.garnertedarmstrong.ws/christmas2.shtml

And here's what Wiki had to say:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas

From Wiki I qoute:

The Christmas tree is often explained as a Christianization of pagan tradition and ritual surrounding the Winter Solstice, which included the use of evergreen boughs,[35] and an adaptation of pagan tree worship.[36] The English language phrase "Christmas tree" is first recorded in 1835[33] and represents an importation from the German language. The modern Christmas tree tradition is believed to have begun in Germany in the 18th century.[36] From Germany the custom was introduced to England, first via Queen Charlotte, wife of George III, and then more successfully by Prince Albert during the reign of Queen Victoria. Around the same time, German immigrants introduced the custom into the United States.[37] Christmas trees may be decorated with lights and ornaments.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daedra
If I were a minority religous group and the predominant religous group in the country I emmigrated to (or grew up in as second/third gen) were bending over backward to "not offend" me or my religion, I would find THAT in itself to be more offensive then the actual perpitiuation of religious holiday celebrations.
Daedra, that is exactly my view and has been ever since this ill conceived political-correctness philosophy reared its ugly head.

I do not claim to speak for those from Non- Christian countries, or native born Canadians of other religions, or even for those atheists/agnostics, but it strikes me these people would be mystified, confused, perhaps bemused, that someone would actually see fit to go to such great lengths as to remove an innocuous Christmas tree.

Chances are some would even feel patronized.

Last time I looked Canada was (still) a predominantly Christian nation and so the very last thing we need do is pervert our long held traditions in a naive attempt to avoid offending others.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 2:05 am
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montreal mike
Daedra, that is exactly my view and has been ever since this ill conceived political-correctness philosophy reared its ugly head.

I do not claim to speak for those from Non- Christian countries, or native born Canadians of other religions, or even for those atheists/agnostics, but it strikes me these people would be mystified, confused, perhaps bemused, that someone would actually see fit to go to such great lengths as to remove an innocuous Christmas tree.

Last time I looked Canada was (still) a predominantly Christian nation and so the very last thing we need do is pervert our long held traditions in a naive attempt to avoid offending others.
I'm just glad you were able to understand my points in that original post, Novo had trouble *lol*
Old Dec 16th 2006, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daedra
I'm just glad you were able to understand my points in that original post, Novo had trouble *lol*
Something tells me that Novo was simply in an argumentative frame of mind. I got your point and so I am pretty sure did others, including Novo.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 4:21 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Something tells me that Novo was simply in an argumentative frame of mind. I got your point and so I am pretty sure did others, including Novo.
Ooooh, the presumption!
Old Dec 16th 2006, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Ooooh, the presumption!
Not really. Based on some of your past posts on other topics I just have a hunch you know better.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

This debate is going on all over the West. In fact, it's getting pretty boring - it's all very 90s. Very Clintonian. Very Blairite. Very passe, don't you know. An amusing side-note are all those nimrods leaving the UK because of the "political correctness gawn mad" as was earlier described. Then they turn up at YYZ only to see an enormous fracas going on outside Tim Hortons.
Not only has Santa been questioned about his involvement in a festival that may or may not cause offence to minority religious groups, but one of the elves started singing racially provocative football chants and got dragged into a police cruiser for his troubles.

Alas, they thought, thinking once again of the green grass of Solihull, their eyes filling with nostalgia-induced tears, do they have the Daily Mail here?
Old Dec 16th 2006, 10:02 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tableland
Alas, they thought, thinking once again of the green grass of Solihull, their eyes filling with nostalgia-induced tears, do they have the Daily Mail here?
They have the Toronto Sun. Today it actually used the headline "political correctness gone mad".
Old Dec 16th 2006, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
They have the Toronto Sun. Today it actually used the headline "political correctness gone mad".
Thanks for the info.

http://www.torontosun.com/News/Toron...23916-sun.html