Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

suspension of alberta grizzly hunt

suspension of alberta grizzly hunt

Old Mar 3rd 2006, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

Balzac will become famous soon enoughBalzac will become famous soon enough
Default suspension of alberta grizzly hunt

I am so happy to learn that they have suspended the spring grizzly hunt! Maybe writing letters does work.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 10:21 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: suspension of alberta grizzly hunt

Originally Posted by Balzac
I am so happy to learn that they have suspended the spring grizzly hunt! Maybe writing letters does work.
I was even happier to learn the suspension is to last three years.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

savefuel is just really nicesavefuel is just really nicesavefuel is just really nicesavefuel is just really nicesavefuel is just really nicesavefuel is just really nicesavefuel is just really nicesavefuel is just really nicesavefuel is just really nicesavefuel is just really nicesavefuel is just really nice

Yep..teaching the bears to write was a good move.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 10:28 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by savefuel
Yep..teaching the bears to write was a good move.

LOL!!!
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 10:29 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Maybe they will shoot twice as many in the fall?
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

Janietrz is just really niceJanietrz is just really niceJanietrz is just really niceJanietrz is just really niceJanietrz is just really niceJanietrz is just really niceJanietrz is just really niceJanietrz is just really niceJanietrz is just really niceJanietrz is just really niceJanietrz is just really nice

Thats good news, but what about the clubbing of baby seals, just saw on TV sky news, Paul Mcartney (beatles), and his wife out in Canada today, trying to end this rather nasty fur industry buisness. , I am have 2 opnions on this for and against

Last edited by Janietrz; Mar 3rd 2006 at 10:39 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 10:39 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Janietrz
Thats good news, but what about the clubbing of baby seals, just saw on TV sky news, Paul Mcartney (beatles), and his wife out in Canada today, trying to end this rather nasty fur industry buisness.
You obviously missed this thread.

McCartney / Seal Cull

It's generated 184 responses so far.

Cheers
Steve
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

Janietrz is just really niceJanietrz is just really niceJanietrz is just really niceJanietrz is just really niceJanietrz is just really niceJanietrz is just really niceJanietrz is just really niceJanietrz is just really niceJanietrz is just really niceJanietrz is just really niceJanietrz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Hangman
You obviously missed this thread.

McCartney / Seal Cull

It's generated 184 responses so far.

Cheers
Steve
Yes just saw this higher upon the forum, Thanks
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

Balzac will become famous soon enoughBalzac will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=oceanMDX]Maybe they will shoot twice as many in the fall?[/QUOTE

I'll put my order in!
Old Mar 4th 2006, 1:18 am
mañana is my busiest day

I'll put my order in!
Shall I get a male or a female grizzly bear rug for you?
Old Mar 4th 2006, 2:43 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone see "Grizzly Man"?
Old Mar 4th 2006, 3:40 am
mañana is my busiest day

I saw some video clips of that guy and listened to an interview of him over the radio.

He thought that brown bears were basically "party animals"... well he ended up as a potato chip and his girlfriend was the dip at one of the bears' parties. :scared:
Old Mar 4th 2006, 3:42 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

When we arrived last year, there were news stories of the growing problem of black bear attacks. One of the factors stated was that they had cancelled the annual black bear cull (was it in Manitoba?? pardon my memory ).

The feeling was that there were greater numbers of black bears than usual, competing for the same diminishing areas for territory (bears don't like to share!), and so there were more chances of human/bear encounters as these animals travelled further afield in search of food.

While I don't approve of hunting for fun, especially such a magnificent animal as the grizzly, I might be concerned if an increasing number of these animals resulted in a greater threat to me and mine. Actually I think it's fairly unlikely, as I'm sure Canada is big enough to share with a few bears, but it does give me "paws" (groan) for thought.

How many bears are normally "culled" a year? if grizzlies really need to be "controlled" in this way, I think it would be a good idea to legislate so that only those persons trained and selected/licenced to do so would be allowed to shoot them. That way there would be less chance of indiscriminate killing/wounding for fun by any old joe who happens to have a gun and an excess of testosterone!
Old Mar 4th 2006, 3:46 am
mañana is my busiest day

^^^ A big factor as to whether or not bears are likely to become a problem in any given year is what happens to the berry crop out in the wild. If it's a good crop, the bears have lots of food, if the crop fails, then the bears will get desperate for food and you will look berry good to any bear (groan). The weather determines how well the berry crop does.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Mar 4th 2006 at 3:48 am.
Old Mar 4th 2006, 3:49 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I just thought I'd try to answer my own question, and found this from last year:

http://www3.gov.ab.ca/srd/fw/hunting...ml#grizzlybear

Grizzly Bear Hunt for 2005 available for draw applications
(2005 February 1)

A total of 73 licences will be issued for this spring’s hunt. As all hunters know, these licences provide hunting opportunities only. Only a fraction of hunters are expected to be successful in harvesting a bear—it’s hard to find them at any time. In recent years the harvest has averaged around 14-15 bears, with 100 or more permits made available. This year, the season is two weeks shorter in most areas, to reduce the likelihood of female mortalities.

And from recent news:

Alberta cancels grizzly bear hunt
Last updated Mar 3 2006 12:36 PM MST
CBC News
The Alberta government has decided to suspend the annual grizzly bear hunt for the next three years.

The long-awaited news follows years of lobbying by provincial conservationists who decried the hunt because of the dwindling grizzly bear population.

The numbers are disputed, but it's generally believed there are about 700 remaining in Alberta. During last year's hunt, 73 licenses were issued and 10 bears were killed.

With those facts to hand, my opinion is "leave the poor bears alone!"

Last edited by Alberta_Rose; Mar 4th 2006 at 3:55 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.