Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

suspension of alberta grizzly hunt

suspension of alberta grizzly hunt

Old Mar 4th 2006, 9:02 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: suspension of alberta grizzly hunt

One of Treadwell's favorite sayings was "'I would be honored to end up in bear scat"... and so honored he was.... too bad his girlfriend had to join him.

http://www.adn.com/front/story/4110831p-4127072c.html
Old Mar 6th 2006, 11:41 am
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

We don't have grizzlies around here, but we do have a lot of black bears. In Ontario the spring bear cull was cancelled, however with mounting problems, there is talk about re-introducing it again......not before time in my opinion!

Having had 2 close-encounters with black bears in the space of 6 months, I hope they do re-introduce it. I love to see bears.......on TV, out in the wilderness - I do not like to see them next to my house eyeing me or my livestock up, for their next meal.

Bears are moving in on humans because there are too many of them, and their natural habitats (avoiding humans) are filled with other bears who don't want to share land.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiaribbon
We don't have grizzlies around here, but we do have a lot of black bears. In Ontario the spring bear cull was cancelled, however with mounting problems, there is talk about re-introducing it again......not before time in my opinion!

Having had 2 close-encounters with black bears in the space of 6 months, I hope they do re-introduce it. I love to see bears.......on TV, out in the wilderness - I do not like to see them next to my house eyeing me or my livestock up, for their next meal.

Bears are moving in on humans because there are too many of them, and their natural habitats (avoiding humans) are filled with other bears who don't want to share land.

Quite agree Tia!
I was reading the 2005 nuisance bear report by the MNR just yesterday - 74 bears were removed from the town last year from May - October. Hubbie saw one meandering its way up town past the library back in October!
The failed berry crop last summer certainly didn't help! Much of the blame has been put on the human residents tho', saying that inappropriate garbage disposal was the reason - up here, we have to keep garbage in the house and are only allowed to put it in the bin on the day it's collected.

What's the difference between allowing fall hunting and not spring hunting anyway? Don't understand what the big deal is anyway about not having a spring hunt.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 4:30 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

In the Spring when bears first leave their dens, their fur is generally in the best condition of the year so that is a good time to hunt them. However, this is controversial because females have young that can't survive on their own and females get shot by accident when they are misidentified as males.