Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Stuck in Immigration AGAIN

Stuck in Immigration AGAIN

Old Aug 27th 2011, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stuck in Immigration AGAIN

Bells is right - I used my Nexus card, wont again though. Eldest is on her way back today, via Montreal as well, will be interesting to see if she has any problems at immigration.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 9:07 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure whether it is common at a lot of airports, but Vancouver has the automatic processing machines for people with PR cards. I've never had any problems with re-entering the Country.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 5:46 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

I've never had any problems, even when I did not have my card with me I just produce a letter to say it was on it's way I never had to get out of the truck.

My OH however had his FAST card taken off him a few months ago for not declaring a bottle of liquor (stupid idiot had forgotten about it, he bought it on his way into the US and another a few days later on his way out )

He had to send a sorry letter etc - that was in February and he gets searched every week when he comes back into Canada without fail whatever crossing he takes. After a few weeks he asked the border guard how long this was going to go on for and they just shrugged their shoulders.

Luckily we had a nice guard on Monday that let us through - maybe his luck is changing
Old Aug 31st 2011, 4:39 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Hmm, Interesting. I travel to the US half a dozen times a year. Will look into that.
You don't even need to be a PR to get one, just legally present in the US or Canada for the three years prior to application.

It's still a bit of a pain getting into the US because you still have to do all the VWP/US-VISIT malarkey but getting into Canada is much easier.

I went through the NEXUS lane at YYC (as a Canadian citizen) at US pre-clearance on Sunday and the CBP inspector took the customs declaration forms off me and literally waived me through. I said: "Aren't you going to ask me any questions?" And he replied: "Should I?"

The only real pain of a NEXUS card is you have to keep updating them when details change, e.g. new DL, new car, etc.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 4:41 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cov-canuck
Yep, same for me. I've had a nexus card for a couple of years now, frequent traveller to the US, and got carted off twice.
But this was entering the US, correct? The OP was worried about entering Canada. At YYC, CBSA don't even have a booth to man the NEXUS lane, you just use the machine.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 4:45 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
wow, that's never happened to me.
My mom always get the third degree when she comes over to visit, never figured out why.