British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Stuck in Immigration AGAIN (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/stuck-immigration-again-730036/)

scottishjoe Aug 26th 2011 1:04 am

Stuck in Immigration AGAIN

Please help if you can. The first time I came to Canada I expected to go through immigration. But the next 2 times they sent me through there again even though I have my PR card. Its annoying as I constanly worry about my luggage and after a 7 hour flight it's a nightmare.
Does anyone know why this always happens? Is there any way I can avoid it in the future?
Thanks

val50 Aug 26th 2011 11:44 am

Re: Stuck in Immigration AGAIN

Originally Posted by scottishjoe (Post 9582241)
Please help if you can. The first time I came to Canada I expected to go through immigration. But the next 2 times they sent me through there again even though I have my PR card. Its annoying as I constanly worry about my luggage and after a 7 hour flight it's a nightmare.
Does anyone know why this always happens? Is there any way I can avoid it in the future?
Thanks

Can't help but I had the same thing happen to me last week when I came back via Montreal. Didn't expect any problems as I had my new pr card. I was told to go to one side into a room that was obviously full of people landing for first time. When I tried to ask why I was there I was threatened with a baton and taken to a single room by 2 men and told to wait there. 2 hours later I was taken back upstairs, passport stamped, no explanation given. When I asked what the problem was I was told they didn't have to give me any explanation. All this time I had no idea where my suitcases were. It was really frightening. I missed my connecting flight to Halifax and ended up arriving 4 hours later than planned.

scottishjoe Aug 26th 2011 12:57 pm

Thanks for the reply, at least now I know it happens to others too. Yes they put you in a queue with families and other people obviously new to the country. I've been too scared to ask why in case they put me on a plane home, the immigration people look pretty serious and scary. I was just thinking, did you have a Canadian address on your landing pass card? I had a UK one, I wonder if that was the problem.

Steve_ Aug 26th 2011 5:32 pm

Is there any way I can avoid it in the future?

Get a NEXUS card, you have to have lived in Canada for three years to get one (not physically present, just lived here). Then when you get to primary inspection you just use your card at the machine and rarely does CBSA ever talk to you, until you get to the customs guy who takes your customs card off you, and he's only interested in collecting duty.

Steve_ Aug 26th 2011 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by val50 (Post 9583125)
Can't help but I had the same thing happen to me last week when I came back via Montreal. Didn't expect any problems as I had my new pr card.

There's been all this stuff lately about CBSA cracking down on people from Europe because of a lot of people working illegally here because of the recession, odd that the PR card wouldn't smooth things out though.

Atlantic Xpat Aug 26th 2011 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 9583663)
Get a NEXUS card, you have to have lived in Canada for three years to get one (not physically present, just lived here). Then when you get to primary inspection you just use your card at the machine and rarely does CBSA ever talk to you, until you get to the customs guy who takes your customs card off you, and he's only interested in collecting duty.

I thought you had to be a Canadian citizen to get a Nexus card?

JonboyE Aug 26th 2011 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 9583706)
I thought you had to be a Canadian citizen to get a Nexus card?

No, I had one before I became a Canadian Citizen.

Atlantic Xpat Aug 26th 2011 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 9583712)
No, I had one before I became a Canadian Citizen.

Hmm, Interesting. I travel to the US half a dozen times a year. Will look into that.

cheeky_monkey Aug 26th 2011 11:08 pm

Thanks

this has happened to me every single time i have re-entered Canada even though i have a PR card..its damn annoying esp when people on holiday just get waived on through:frown:

ExKiwilass Aug 27th 2011 1:01 am

wow, that's never happened to me.

Atlantic Xpat Aug 27th 2011 1:18 am

Nor I. In fact last time (3 weeks ago) entering at St. John's I had a cheery chat with the IO about my citizenship application & the weather. Smaller airport I guess.

Looked into the Nexus card btw, but can't do the interview etc here in St. John's, would have to do it in YHZ or YYZ which would be a pain to organise.

The4BellsLondon Aug 27th 2011 2:01 am

I think Val50 has a nexus card and she still got carted off!

Alberta_Rose Aug 27th 2011 3:55 am

Originally Posted by Kiwilass (Post 9584268)
wow, that's never happened to me.

Nor me! :blink:

scottishjoe Aug 27th 2011 11:26 am

Maybe they didn't like my face..........next time I'll put a Canadian address on the landing slip and see if that helps....

cov-canuck Aug 27th 2011 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon (Post 9584331)
I think Val50 has a nexus card and she still got carted off!

Yep, same for me. I've had a nexus card for a couple of years now, frequent traveller to the US, and got carted off twice. Once because I brought a sandwich with me and didn't declare it as food on my customs card (I was told that sweets/gum etc. also count, so now I don't take ANYthing remotely edible!), and the other time they didn't give me a reason, but checked my bag etc. (I was flying to my parents' place with only carry-on).