Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Stuck in Immigration AGAIN

Stuck in Immigration AGAIN

Old Aug 26th 2011, 1:04 am
Living in Canada 5 years

scottishjoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stuck in Immigration AGAIN

Please help if you can. The first time I came to Canada I expected to go through immigration. But the next 2 times they sent me through there again even though I have my PR card. Its annoying as I constanly worry about my luggage and after a 7 hour flight it's a nightmare.
Does anyone know why this always happens? Is there any way I can avoid it in the future?
Thanks

Last edited by scottishjoe; Aug 26th 2011 at 1:08 am.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stuck in Immigration AGAIN

Originally Posted by scottishjoe
Please help if you can. The first time I came to Canada I expected to go through immigration. But the next 2 times they sent me through there again even though I have my PR card. Its annoying as I constanly worry about my luggage and after a 7 hour flight it's a nightmare.
Does anyone know why this always happens? Is there any way I can avoid it in the future?
Thanks

Can't help but I had the same thing happen to me last week when I came back via Montreal. Didn't expect any problems as I had my new pr card. I was told to go to one side into a room that was obviously full of people landing for first time. When I tried to ask why I was there I was threatened with a baton and taken to a single room by 2 men and told to wait there. 2 hours later I was taken back upstairs, passport stamped, no explanation given. When I asked what the problem was I was told they didn't have to give me any explanation. All this time I had no idea where my suitcases were. It was really frightening. I missed my connecting flight to Halifax and ended up arriving 4 hours later than planned.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 12:57 pm
Living in Canada 5 years

Thanks for the reply, at least now I know it happens to others too. Yes they put you in a queue with families and other people obviously new to the country. I've been too scared to ask why in case they put me on a plane home, the immigration people look pretty serious and scary. I was just thinking, did you have a Canadian address on your landing pass card? I had a UK one, I wonder if that was the problem.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 5:32 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Is there any way I can avoid it in the future?
Get a NEXUS card, you have to have lived in Canada for three years to get one (not physically present, just lived here). Then when you get to primary inspection you just use your card at the machine and rarely does CBSA ever talk to you, until you get to the customs guy who takes your customs card off you, and he's only interested in collecting duty.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 5:34 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by val50
Can't help but I had the same thing happen to me last week when I came back via Montreal. Didn't expect any problems as I had my new pr card.
There's been all this stuff lately about CBSA cracking down on people from Europe because of a lot of people working illegally here because of the recession, odd that the PR card wouldn't smooth things out though.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 6:14 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Get a NEXUS card, you have to have lived in Canada for three years to get one (not physically present, just lived here). Then when you get to primary inspection you just use your card at the machine and rarely does CBSA ever talk to you, until you get to the customs guy who takes your customs card off you, and he's only interested in collecting duty.
I thought you had to be a Canadian citizen to get a Nexus card?
Old Aug 26th 2011, 6:20 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I thought you had to be a Canadian citizen to get a Nexus card?
No, I had one before I became a Canadian Citizen.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 7:37 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
No, I had one before I became a Canadian Citizen.
Hmm, Interesting. I travel to the US half a dozen times a year. Will look into that.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 11:08 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
this has happened to me every single time i have re-entered Canada even though i have a PR card..its damn annoying esp when people on holiday just get waived on through
Old Aug 27th 2011, 1:01 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

wow, that's never happened to me.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 1:18 am
Slightly Canadian

Nor I. In fact last time (3 weeks ago) entering at St. John's I had a cheery chat with the IO about my citizenship application & the weather. Smaller airport I guess.

Looked into the Nexus card btw, but can't do the interview etc here in St. John's, would have to do it in YHZ or YYZ which would be a pain to organise.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 2:01 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

I think Val50 has a nexus card and she still got carted off!
Old Aug 27th 2011, 3:55 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
wow, that's never happened to me.
Nor me!
Old Aug 27th 2011, 11:26 am
Living in Canada 5 years

Maybe they didn't like my face..........next time I'll put a Canadian address on the landing slip and see if that helps....
Old Aug 27th 2011, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
I think Val50 has a nexus card and she still got carted off!
Yep, same for me. I've had a nexus card for a couple of years now, frequent traveller to the US, and got carted off twice. Once because I brought a sandwich with me and didn't declare it as food on my customs card (I was told that sweets/gum etc. also count, so now I don't take ANYthing remotely edible!), and the other time they didn't give me a reason, but checked my bag etc. (I was flying to my parents' place with only carry-on).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.